Of all vessels, the motor torbedo boats proved out to be most succesfull and most suited ship type to our navy in WWII. Despite the early war obsolence of our FAC arm, and the inactivity of Soviet surface fleet since the 1941 made their overall score in sunken tonnage small, when they were deployed against the enemy, the succes was usually ensured. Most notable action was the sinking of large Gunboat Krasnaya Zamnja in Lavansaari 1942 (mind that this 1,800 ton vessel with 5 130mm guns was the largest vessel Soviets deployed outside Kronstad after the fall of Hanko and Tallinn) by the eldery Thornycroft type MBTs backed with ex-Soviet G-5 class warbooty craft.
Also, during the fall of 1944, when German's decided to invade Suursaari from us, it was the MBTs that throw away the german landing force, sinking its MFBs and damaging the supporting M-class minesweeper/escorts.
First MTB in our navy were two Sisu class boats, Sisu and Hurja which were former italian MAS-220 series boats. They were old and venerable by 1939, their bows not suited for Baltic wave's, but yet they were used until 1942 when they were discarded as unseaworthy. in 1941 Sisu managed to sunk a Soviet Fugas (pr.3 ) class large minesweeper in Suursaari.
There was also a 3rd similar boat build in Finland (of which I yet not have good linedrawing) called Isku
The next series of boats bougth in 1928 where the 4 Thornycroft 55' foot series boats, of which two were build in UK, and two in Finland. They served untill 1943, when they were moved to Lake Ladoga to use as patrol crafts and fast minelayers, and later discarded before the end of the war.
There were 3 G-5 class boats captured in our navy and named as Viima, Vihuri and Viima-3 (and Vihuri renamed as Viima-2 at some point). Also one D-3 class boat was used, but it was mostly embarked as patrol boat with 40mm bofors instead of torbedoes. All these boats were returned to Soviet Union after the armistice.
The saga of aquiring modern Torbedo crafts begun in 1939 but it took up untill 1943 before the first then ordered boats, the 5 Baglietto build Hurja class vessels arrived in Finland. Our navy had been impressed of the Italian MAS type boats well before WWII as the side launched torbedoes were far superior to the island rugged coastlines and shallow waters compared to the English Thornycroft boats aft launched torbedoes whom to be used most effectively demanded lots of open waters for long passages in full speed, and such outcluded the full tactical advantage that our waters offered for defender.
The Hurja class was not a succesfull in service, as their engines proved out to be failure and prevented their purposefull use as attack vessels. Thus they served as fast minelayers and patrol boats instead.
Finland also ordered mordern Thornycroft boats from UK and from Higgin's in the US. Due the War these orders were never placed, as neither was the German order of 4 E-boats that were ordered in 1944 but not delivered due Fürher's whims regarding the arms-embargo to Finland imposed after our government asked Allied terms in early 1944.
But the Hurja class weren't the first Baglietto boats in our Navy. In 1942 German's had also realised the misserable status of our MBT fleet and were rather embarrased of the equipment we used to high-value torbedo attacks. Expecially the need for using MBTs in lake Laatokka agains the supply convoys to Leningrad siege was noted and as Germans themselves lacked any MBTs that could be transferred via landway, they asked Italians to help. At this point Italy was allready established good practice of sending boats to Black Sea, so the 1.300 Km long transfer to Laatokka was not a overwhelmed task, and 4 boats were send up here. In 1943 they were purchased by our Navy and given J- names.
Best of the Baglietto's were (naturally
) the ones that were build in Finland in Turun Veneveistämö, the 8 strong Taisto class build in 1943 and two more 1946. Of these, one vessel, Tuima had briefly torbedo tubes fitted instead of the normal racks. After the war they were all given 40mm Bofors guns instead of TTs as the Paris Peace treaty forbid the use of MBTs. Despite the Ban, the purpose of these new "motor gun boats" (as well as the post war Vasama and Nuoli class crafts) were to serve in their orginal role as soon as new crisis would envolp, so the tactical training retained all the MBT functions despite them beeing forbidden.
At last, the I present the VMV class, a group of motor patrol boats of the Merivariolaitos, or coast guard, that were incorporated into the navy in 1939. There were overally severall subclasses of these vessels (preciding the most numerous VMV-8 class) and some odd motor boats were also given the VMV - prefix. The VMV-8 was the largest, most numerous and most buetifull of them all, and during the war these boats served in patrol-, ASW-, anti-small craft-, guard-, escorts, minelayers-, minesweepers- and even limitedly torbedo vessels, always sublementing the lack of dedicated vessels for such purposes. They served well and participated in basicly every maritime operation there were, including rescuing the men aboard sunken Ilmarinen
Several were lost during the war and they scored atleast one Soviet Submarine in 1942.