Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ] 
TheShipYard
Post subject: Russian Intelligence VesselsPosted: August 10th, 2020, 6:56 pm
Recently i have found theirs a lack of Russian intelligence vessels on the internet. which is annoying when it comes to open source plans. so with my knowledge from work, here is the most accurate image i can come up with, with measuring everything of course. These vessels specialize in gathering ELINT, IMING and SIGINT
The Vishnya class (also known as the Meridian class) are a group of intelligence collection ships built for the Soviet Navy in the 1980s. The ships continue in service with the Russian Navy. The Soviet designation is Project 864. The Russian Navy operates seven of these ships
Displacement: 3,470 tons full load
Length: 91.5 m (300 ft 2 in)
Beam: 14.6 m (47 ft 11 in)
Draught: 4.5 m (14 ft 9 in)
Armament:
2 AK-630 six-barreled Gatling 30 mm/L60 guns
2 SA-N-8 surface-to-air missiles
[ img ]

Last edited by TheShipYard on August 11th, 2020, 11:02 am, edited 2 times in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Russian Intelligence VesselsPosted: August 11th, 2020, 9:13 am
Nice start, but I see some issues around.
One is that I see a number of double black lines (some things just have to be made 3-pixel thick) and heavy corners ( http://shipbucket.com/styleguide#21 ). Another is that I see missing pixels (on the propeller, for example, but not only there).
(and generally most of the "solid" things just MUST have black contour - check that gray thing to the left of the dome fore of the main mast), also doors are typically outlined in black)

[Profile] [Quote]
TheShipYard
Post subject: Re: Russian Intelligence VesselsPosted: August 11th, 2020, 11:01 am
eswube wrote: *
Nice start, but I see some issues around.
One is that I see a number of double black lines (some things just have to be made 3-pixel thick) and heavy corners ( http://shipbucket.com/styleguide#21 ). Another is that I see missing pixels (on the propeller, for example, but not only there).
(and generally most of the "solid" things just MUST have black contour - check that gray thing to the left of the dome fore of the main mast), also doors are typically outlined in black)
thank you for the feedback. ive taken it on board, literally and i have made modifications to this one, and my new one i have just posted.

[Profile] [Quote]
TheShipYard
Post subject: Re: Russian Intelligence VesselsPosted: August 11th, 2020, 11:16 am
Next vessel on the list that i have created is the Alpanist Class AGI. This is a class of Intelligence collectors that have been modified from trawlers. Hence they look like trawlers.
Designated the Project 503, the vessels are
Length: 53,7m
Beam:10,71m
Draft:4,25 m
Speed: 12.6 kts

Most these vessels are based with the Baltic fleet and hardly venture out into open seas. they are getting old and have a risk of sinking.
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Russian Intelligence VesselsPosted: August 11th, 2020, 3:49 pm
For starters, I want to say that You really show talent and a kind of attention to detail, so I hope You won't be discouraged by what I'm going to write.

But there ARE issues there.
One, I should have mentioned earlier, is that they are not on standard templates. There's no allowance for posting stuff on template that's less than 1000 x 330 for ships shown without below-the-waterline-part of the hull or 1000 x 385 for ships shown with the underwater hull.
Templates can be found on Shipbucket Wiki or in the dedicated thread (they were all watermarked, but just added 'clear' copies a moment ago):
viewtopic.php?f=5&p=195610#p195610

More importantly - there are still double black lines and heavy corners. And lots of them.
Under no circumstances whatsoever use the same "black" for "contour" and for "paint".
If something ends up being 2-pixels wide, then (with an exception of barrels of 3-inch guns) don't make it 2-pixel-wide-black.
Either make it 1-pixel thick, or make it 3-pixel thick (black-color-black) or (very occasionaly, just in some circumstances) 1-pixel-black + 1-pixel-dark-grey (or whatever color that thing is). And generally - if it's something on which a person is supposed to walk on - it should be 3-pixel-thick. (also, if the thing in question is getting narrower along it's length, then sometimes a viable option could be making it 3-pixel thick for some of the length, then 2-pixel for some length and 1-pixel at the tip, but I would be generally very wary of relying too much on that technique)
As for various kind of antennas and similar things (but also grills etc.) - I suggest using a non-black color (dark grey or whatever is appropriate for a given element). It seems that a numbr of elements You just represented without attempting to find some way to understand their actual shape. :(
If these tiny 3x3 dark grey crosses on the Pr.503 hull are portholes - they should have blue dot in the middle. And if that yellow thing on bow is anchor, it also needs black outline - so does the bottom of the motor boat. ;)
(on the other hand - that yellow mast over Pr.864's bridge is one place where I would perhaps leave it non-outlined, but make the shade darker. (but that's just my way of showing things that are not-black-outlined they are of "solid contour")

I added a sample of one detail of Pr.503 that IMHO could be done more neatly, as an example You could, perhaps, take for considerations when drawings similar elements.

Ah, one more thing - You have artifacts over the bridge of Pr.503 (around lines/antennas etc.)

Marked most eye-catching examples, but don't take it as an exhaustive:

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: Russian Intelligence VesselsPosted: August 13th, 2020, 1:59 pm
It is good to see more vessels like these on the 'bucket.

But eswube has given you lots of pointers to getting to the SB style.
Once you have mastered it, you will be drawing some very good ships indeed. The details matter in SB despite the small scale, so we do take time and pride ourselves on doing a good job. The results will be well worth it.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
TheShipYard
Post subject: Re: Russian Intelligence VesselsPosted: June 10th, 2021, 1:12 am
Here is a complete remake.
I Had a go at making it with all the skills I learnt from my Infanta Elena.

Anyway this is a new drawing of the Pj. 864 Vishnya class AGI RFS Priazovye of the Black sea, as seen on April 15th 2021.
Based off the lack of close range imaged in open source, this is probably the best we shall get with this class.

Disclaimer:
This drawing has been made using images/videos of the vessel that span the last 5 years. All the colours and fixtures you see are as of the date above.
Many bits of equipment of this class are top secret and the sensor fits differ from each vessel in the class, and i hope to get those sorted by weeks end.

Your opinions would be most welcome and I hope this version is much better then the previous one.

[ img ]
for reference, this is the real ship:
[ img ]

RFS Priazovye - 2015
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Russian Intelligence VesselsPosted: June 13th, 2021, 12:23 pm
Hi!
That's indeed a big improvement comparet to previous versions.
That said, I think it would look better if some details, like some antennas, were made in dark grey instead of black.
I also have a feeling that close-range phots of them are not that horribly scarce (of course, they are hardly abundant either).

http://bastion-karpenko.ru/ssv-201-priazovie-151123/

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=%D0%B ... 65&bih=824

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ]  Return to “Real Designs”

Jump to: