Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ] 
Karle94
Post subject: HMS Orion: First Super-DreadnoughtPosted: September 20th, 2020, 2:10 pm
With the failiure of the 50 caliber 12 inch gun used on the St. Vincent through the Colossus class due to bore erosion and inconsistent propellant burning, British efforts instead went into developing a gun of bigger bore, as opposed to longer caliber. This lead to the 13.5"/45 caliber gun. In an effort to keep the ship at a reasnoble size, she became the first British battleship to feature an all-centerline battery, and the first to have superfiring guns fore, and aft. A battery of ten guns was chosen, with a length of 177m. One ship was authorised under the 1909/1910 budget, alongside the St. Vincent class HMS Hercules and the battlecruiser HMS Lion, although a contingency plan for three more battleships and one more battlecruiser was planned, and put into reality through public outcry.

Four ships were built; HMS Orion, HMS Monarch, HMS Conqueror and HMS Thunderer, all commissioned in 1912, alongside HMS Lion and HMS Princess Royal.
Wartime careers were uneventful, with the exception for the Battle of Justland. All four were decommisioned and scrapped, as per Washington Naval Treay.

HMS Orion as commisioned in 1912:
[ img ]

Last edited by Karle94 on November 15th, 2021, 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: HMS Orion: First Super-DreadnoughtPosted: September 21st, 2020, 8:11 am
Nice work, looks good. I think Jabba had drawn her many years ago but this is a nice redux.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
Steampower1
Post subject: Re: HMS Orion: First Super-DreadnoughtPosted: April 15th, 2021, 11:51 pm
Excellent rendition! On some earlier dreadnaughts the artist would make the barbettes to long. Some were as long as the turret allowing no overhang at all! The shape of your 13.5" turrets is also very good. I like the shadowing - alot. Some are too busy or too faint to give a sense of dimension but yours is great !

[Profile] [Quote]
Tempest
Post subject: Re: HMS Orion: First Super-DreadnoughtPosted: April 17th, 2021, 7:52 pm
I've couldn't help but notice that you've omitted a porthole next to the bow and the anti-torpedo nets.

German Capital Ship Projects of The First World War

[Profile] [Quote]
Steampower1
Post subject: Re: HMS Orion: First Super-DreadnoughtPosted: July 5th, 2021, 4:57 pm
Excellent. You define the structure. Too many jus
t copy a mass of lines and hope something turns out. Your stuff id right on.

[Profile] [Quote]
Karle94
Post subject: Re: HMS Orion: First Super-DreadnoughtPosted: November 15th, 2021, 12:01 am
I've updated the drawing with new colors and an all new rigging and yard arm set up.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]  Return to “Real Designs”

Jump to: