Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 8 of 11  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page « 16 7 8 9 10 11 »
David Latuch
Post subject: Re: The French Alsace-Class BattleshipsPosted: August 28th, 2014, 6:40 pm
I'm back :twisted:

Majhost is still down and I'm going through posting withdrawal and jonesing bad so I went to Photobucket. :roll:

Here is the Alsace Class as I believe designed.

The upper secondary battery aerial rangfinders have been relocated on either side of the fore and aft towers--now four rather than two in number. This is in keeping with Colombamike's suggestion that the towers fron Gascogne be used rather than Richelieu.

The overhead is provided to reveal the overall layout of the ship's guns and directors--it was also fun to draw. ;)

[ img ]

G.D. and Mike fire away. :shock:

[Profile] [Quote]
Colombamike
Post subject: Re: The French Alsace-Class BattleshipsPosted: August 28th, 2014, 7:27 pm
PS: currently I use hostingpics.net for hostings the pics
http://www.hostingpics.net
David Latuch wrote:
Mike fire away
For the "as designed 1939-1940".....almost very good
Few details
[ img ]
mainly:
- add wooden-deck top view detail
- add twin 25mm aft
- delete 4 twin 37mm mount
- ect...

[Profile] [Quote]
David Latuch
Post subject: Re: The French Alsace-Class BattleshipsPosted: August 28th, 2014, 7:44 pm
Thank you very much. ;) I'm going back to work on her some more :D

[Profile] [Quote]
Krakatoa
Post subject: Re: The French Alsace-Class BattleshipsPosted: August 28th, 2014, 7:59 pm
Good work David.

CM is right in that those high spec 37mm turrets would probably not have been available 1939-40. AA guns of 25mm and 37mm (1933 model) would have been used. Only one trial mounting had been fitted to a ship by 1940 of the later 37mm mod 1935 turret.

I can see some manual open cannon mountings around the top of the bridge superstructure and funnel that do not show on the overhead.

On the aft most 6" triple, on the overhead the two deck levels meet the barbette about halfway, while on the side view the intersection points are different. If the overhead is correct the shading of the barbette needs to come down through both decks on the side view. One or the other needs a fix.

Always liked the French battlewagons, and you are doing a good job with a difficult subject.

[Profile] [Quote]
Garlicdesign
Post subject: Re: The French Alsace-Class BattleshipsPosted: August 28th, 2014, 8:15 pm
Hello David!

Good work, I like it, really! The shape of the tower mast may not be the one originally designed, but it would likely have been finished with additional platforms like Richelieu's, so I won't complain.

As for the 37mm ACAD mounts: Leave them on board, by all means. The drawing represents the Alsace as designed, not as built - an as-built version could not possibly date 1939/40. It may be true the 37mm ACAD was not available 1940, but it was under development since 1933 and included in every battleship design since the Dunkerque of 1933 vintage (she was to get five mounts). It would likely never have been actually fielded anyway, because its immense muzzle pressure and ROF (50% better than the Bofors 40/60), coupled to inferior french metallurgy, resulted in a barrel life of only 600 rounds (less than four minutes fully automatic fire!), while the Bofors had a barrel life of over 10.000 rounds.

Keep it up!

Greetings
GD

[Profile] [Quote]
emperor_andreas
Post subject: Re: The French Alsace-Class BattleshipsPosted: August 28th, 2014, 8:54 pm
Very nice!

The Official IJN Ships & Planes List

#FJB

[Profile] [Quote]
David Latuch
Post subject: Re: The French Alsace-Class BattleshipsPosted: August 28th, 2014, 9:15 pm
I think I've addressed all of the issues posted, so here she is again, Alsace-Class Battleship as Designed:

[ img ]

Keep firing Mike, I've got tough skin and am learning a lot. :D

[Profile] [Quote]
emperor_andreas
Post subject: Re: The French Alsace-Class BattleshipsPosted: August 28th, 2014, 9:46 pm
Beautiful!

The Official IJN Ships & Planes List

#FJB

[Profile] [Quote]
David Latuch
Post subject: Re: The French Alsace-Class BattleshipsPosted: August 28th, 2014, 9:51 pm
Thanks. :D

I'm registering with another hosting site--the one ColombaMike uses, just so that I am not held hostage by Majhost--which is still down for maintainance :lol:

I'm bummed-out thatI missed the upload session. Now I guess I wait a while longer :cry:

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: The French Alsace-Class BattleshipsPosted: August 29th, 2014, 8:21 am
Excellent work!
It always hard drawing something that is very nebulous in appearance, but I think you've done a great job of bringing this ship to life.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 8 of 11  [ 107 posts ]  Return to “Never-Built Designs” | Go to page « 16 7 8 9 10 11 »

Jump to: