Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 2 of 2  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2
eswube
Post subject: Re: SC-21 COEA Concept 3A3 aka Heavy Cruiser aka Everything and the kitchen SinkPosted: December 21st, 2020, 4:35 pm
I understand, then, that's still a WIP? (there's a short vertical line below the bottom of the ship, and the antenna below the 90 meter mark extends from nowhere...)

[Profile] [Quote]
Corp
Post subject: Re: SC-21 COEA Concept 3A3 aka Heavy Cruiser aka Everything and the kitchen SinkPosted: December 22nd, 2020, 2:31 am
eswube wrote: *
I understand, then, that's still a WIP? (there's a short vertical line below the bottom of the ship, and the antenna below the 90 meter mark extends from nowhere...)
It's still technically a WIP since none of my drawings are ever done but it was meant as a sort of stopping point. I missed those in my initial upload of the image but I thought I'd fixed them. I guess I used the wrong image for the post. Here's my actual final draft for now with those issues fixed.
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Corp
Post subject: Re: SC-21 COEA Concept 3A3 aka Heavy Cruiser aka Everything and the kitchen SinkPosted: March 6th, 2021, 7:38 pm
After a couple months brake, I've started work on 3A2, still a wip. I need to tweak the shaft and prop among other things.

While not quite as "everything and the kitchen sink" as 3A3, 3A2 makes up for it by carrying exactly every helicopter ever. I included the Expeditionary Fighting Vehicle as in the text Friedman mentions the ship as having a well deck however unlike 3A3 he does not explicitly mention the well deck being able to fit a full LCAC, merely stating that it's for "amphibious vehicles".

[ img ]
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
maxwell john
Post subject: Re: SC-21 COEA Concept 3A3 aka Heavy Cruiser aka Everything and the kitchen SinkPosted: March 7th, 2021, 8:15 pm
YES YES YES YES YES
I gotta say
I love this
Keep up the good work!

[Profile] [Quote]
Corp
Post subject: Re: SC-21 COEA Concept 3A3 aka Heavy Cruiser aka Everything and the kitchen SinkPosted: September 30th, 2021, 6:46 pm
After a long hiatus from working on it, a slightly more more polished 3A2

[ img ]

Right now before putting it in the "Done for now" pile barring any details I missed, I'm torn between using an LCM-8 or the EFV to indicate the presence of the well deck.

EDIT A meeting went long today so I also doodled this NPS creature:
https://web.nps.edu/Academics/GSEAS/TSS ... report.pdf

It's not an SC-21 concept but I'm putting it here because it's a crazy concept of the same era. Got a decent amount of work left to do on her, not happy with bow/shading and definitely need to work out a better way to illustrate the modules.
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: SC-21 COEA Concept 3A3 aka Heavy Cruiser aka Everything and the kitchen SinkPosted: October 2nd, 2021, 6:53 am
Nice work, the Sea Lance is very interesting too.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
SebastianP
Post subject: Re: SC-21 COEA Concept 3A3 aka Heavy Cruiser aka Everything and the kitchen SinkPosted: October 20th, 2021, 6:10 pm
Corp wrote: *
After a long hiatus from working on it, a slightly more more polished 3A2

*SNIP*
Hate to be a nitpicker, but in this case I know the source material and feel qualified: Your radar arrangement (on both 3A2 and 3A3) is wrong. :(

In the caption for 3A3, it's mentioned that the radars were to be two sets of search radars (one set with 7.5 foot arrays, and then a set with 12-foot arrays installed opposite); with the MFAR horizon search and fire control illuminator above. You can even see it in the drawing - in the starboard side views, the array on the aft mast are consistently drawn smaller than the forward one; and in the top view for 3A1 you can see all eight arrays.

To wit:

3A1 is drawn with large (12-foot) arrays forward and port on the forward mast, starboard and aft on the aft mast, with medium (7.5 foot) arrays opposite (including facing towards the other tower); and it looks like small (MFAR) arrays all around both masts above the search radars.

3A2 is drawn with large arrays forward and starboard on the forward mast, port and aft on the aft mast, with medium arrays opposite. I assume it has the same number of MFAR arrays (8).

3A3 is drawn with the same arrangement as above, as best I can determine.

(Basically, you need to replace the large array on the aft mast in both drawings you've made with a 15-pixel diameter one, and you need to put in the smaller version of the circular array at the top on 3A3 too. :))

[Profile] [Quote]
Corp
Post subject: Re: SC-21 COEA Concept 3A3 aka Heavy Cruiser aka Everything and the kitchen SinkPosted: October 25th, 2021, 9:53 pm
As I mentioned on discord the other day, issue was due to me misreading the text.
Revised Radar Arrays
[ img ]
[ img ]

Also some more work on Sea Lance
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 2 of 2  [ 18 posts ]  Return to “Never-Built Designs” | Go to page « 1 2

Jump to: