Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ] 
VC_
Post subject: A Battlecruiser for the EmperorPosted: November 25th, 2021, 7:47 pm
I recently came across a sketch of a Japanese battlecruiser design, labelled "B61". I instantly fell in love with the sleek looks and well balanced proportions, and now I have taken the time to try to bring her to life in SB form.

I had some misgivings initially, the mast looked odd and there is an error on the drawing: the guns are labelled as 14" even though the "3-Y" (presumably short for "3rd Year Type") is the designation for the 16.1" guns, and the turret dimensions fit the latter. I was however able to confirm the 4x2 16.1" arrangement via a specification sheet for this design in the Hiraga archives. The mast was apparently an early design evolution of what eventually became Nagato's 7-legged configuration, and I decided to retain it for its uniqueness.

The design itself is something of a missing evolutionary link between Nagato and the final Amagi cofiguration selected for consctruction. It is one of the battlecruiser variants in a series of "improved Nagato/Tosa" designs. The sketch itself is very bare bones regarding the superstructure, so I took the early drawings for the Amagi class as inspiration for the bridge and pagoda platform layout. This is a stylistic choice, along with retaining the very narrow hexapod mast, as I really like this look (and it gives variety). It is likely that had this ship (or Amagi for that matter) been built, the mast and bridge would have been upgraded during construction to more closely resemble the look of the Nagato class.

As the drawing evolved, it really came to life more than a simple design study, so I crammed in as much detail as I could muster and aimed for an "in-service" appearance in the mid-1920s, with aviation facilities inspired by those fitted to Nagato. To this end, I also came up with a name for the design, a mountain as per IJN practice for naming battlecruisers. Mount Sakurajima is Japan's most active volcano, befitting such a fiery ship.

Principal specifications on the sheet ;)

Link to original sheet based on (as the image is large and widens the forum page too much):

https://i.imgur.com/obqVaXB.jpg

And the final drawing:

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
emperor_andreas
Post subject: Re: A Battlecruiser for the EmperorPosted: November 25th, 2021, 10:44 pm
Very nice work!

The Official IJN Ships & Planes List

#FJB

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: A Battlecruiser for the EmperorPosted: November 26th, 2021, 11:31 am
Looks very good, nice work and a good looking addition.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: A Battlecruiser for the EmperorPosted: November 26th, 2021, 3:29 pm
A nicely-executed drawing, although I have some concern about the footprint of the foremast. More spread between structural elements would be good-looks like it's only about twelve feet right now, compared to more like twenty feet on Fuso or Hiei around the same time.

[Profile] [Quote]
Karle94
Post subject: Re: A Battlecruiser for the EmperorPosted: November 26th, 2021, 4:48 pm
That is how they were on the early drafts on what became the Tosa and Amagi classes. The Nagato had similar early drafts as well.

[Profile] [Quote]
VC_
Post subject: Re: A Battlecruiser for the EmperorPosted: November 26th, 2021, 7:20 pm
Thanks all, glad you like her :)

erik_t wrote: *
A nicely-executed drawing, although I have some concern about the footprint of the foremast. More spread between structural elements would be good-looks like it's only about twelve feet right now, compared to more like twenty feet on Fuso or Hiei around the same time.

Indeed, I share your concern, and so did the IJN, hence Nagato was completed with a much larger footprint 7-leg foremast. However, I decided to keep the narrow one for stylistic uniqueness, not to have basically a Nagato copy-paste superstructure.

[Profile] [Quote]
Steampower1
Post subject: Re: A Battlecruiser for the EmperorPosted: December 22nd, 2021, 11:24 pm
Really like this! But- have to agree with Erik T. the base of the foremast legs is too narrow. The only other thing is I like the IJN warships with the forward funnel inclined aft. Otherwise it is great technically and love the color and shading

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]  Return to “Never-Built Designs”

Jump to: