Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ] 
Object 221
Post subject: Project 23 (Sovetsky Soyuz) preliminary designsPosted: November 29th, 2022, 12:05 pm
Since I'm basically coping WG's Vladivostok for my AU I took the opportunity to draw the actual KB-4 design battleship on which Vladi is based;
for this drawing I adopted a very different stile form my usual in order to better conform to Karle's recently drawn Gibbs & Cox battleships proposals.
Lastly, I would also like to draw the project 21 battleship (basically Comrade Nelson) and Project 25 battleship (or type B, I can't understand if they are the same thing), but I don't think it's gonna happen in the near future, so for now it's just the KB-4.

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
emperor_andreas
Post subject: Re: Project 23 (Sovetsky Soyuz) preliminary designsPosted: November 29th, 2022, 12:43 pm
A Nagato-esque forward funnel. I like it!

The Official IJN Ships & Planes List

#FJB

[Profile] [Quote]
darthpanda
Post subject: Re: Project 23 (Sovetsky Soyuz) preliminary designsPosted: December 1st, 2022, 7:19 am
Question: what kind of seaplane was planned to use on this ship?

- RHKAAF / HKGFS - 皇家香港輔助空軍 / 政府飛行服務隊
- Gunbucket - LINK

天滅中共全黨死清光!

[Profile] [Quote]
Karle94
Post subject: Re: Project 23 (Sovetsky Soyuz) preliminary designsPosted: December 1st, 2022, 2:58 pm
My guess would be something akin to the Beriev Be-2. That is what was used historically by the Soviet navy.

[Profile] [Quote]
bugsier_060
Post subject: Re: Project 23 (Sovetsky Soyuz) preliminary designsPosted: December 1st, 2022, 8:01 pm
Hi guys,

the KB-4 variant is a forerunner variant (dated from the year 1936) of project 23 (Sovietsky Sojuz class). It is exactly described in the russian book "Superlinkori Stalina" (means "Stalin's Superbattleships"). Siegfried Breyer has also included this ship in his second volume "Battleships and Battlecruiser 1921-1997" and -amazingly enough- Breyer even provides in his book a sectional drawing which the russian book doesn't include. Nevertheless, I took the data from the russian book because a few times the data of the two books are a little bit different and the russian book provides more data - of course. Of course, in both books the sketches are only quite small and poor and b/w.

@Object 221: Thus I am very, very glad not to say enthusiastic, that you have brought this ship here, which was a long lasted dream of mine. A very fine drawing! :D

here some technical data:

displacement (full load): 51.000 metric tons
" (stdd.): 45.900 metric tons

length o.a.: 255,0 m
width: 33,5 m (all in all) / 31,5 m (Waterline)
depth (at stdd. depl.): 9,5 m
SHP (planned/theoretical): 200.000
Range: 7.000 nm / 14 kn
crew: 1.360
speed (max.) 30 kn

armoг:
upper belt: 220 mm / 5°declined
lower belt (waterline): 380 mm / 5°declined
bulkheads: 400 mm

deck:
back: 30 mm
upper deck: 50mm
above magazins: 180
average: 150 mm

frontside of the 40,6-cm-turrets and their barbettes: 420 mm
conning tower: 230-425 mm (from Breyer's book)

armament:
3 triple turrets 40,6 cm
6 twin turrets 15,2 cm

AA's:
6 twin AA's 10 cm
10 quadruple AA's 3,7 cm

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Project 23 (Sovetsky Soyuz) preliminary designsPosted: December 12th, 2022, 6:24 pm
@Object 221 - nice drawing, but I'd say that available drawings of that ship (like the one in - mentioned by Bugsier_060 - book Superlinkori Stalina, page 14) suggest that stern isn't so rounded as your shading seems to imply. In fact it's almost a transom stern, just with rounded edges.

@Bugsier_060 - KB-4 is not a name of the design, but of the designing office (Konstruktorskoye Byuro No. 4 Baltiyskogo Zavoda imieni Sergo Ordzhonikidze - Design Bureau No. 4 of the Baltic Factory named after Sergo Ordzhonikidze). ;)
In that sense, you may say that "Linyennyi Korabl tipa A" (Battleship of the A-type) is forerunner of Pr. 23, but that applies also to the design proposal submitted by TsKBS-1 (Tsentralnoye Konstruktorskoye Byuro Spetssudostroyenya - Central Design Office of Special Shipbuilding).

[Profile] [Quote]
bugsier_060
Post subject: Re: Project 23 (Sovetsky Soyuz) preliminary designsPosted: December 12th, 2022, 9:16 pm
@Bugsier_060 - KB-4 is not a name of the design, but of the designing office (Konstruktorskoye Byuro No. 4 Baltiyskogo Zavoda imieni Sergo Ordzhonikidze - Design Bureau No. 4 of the Baltic Factory named after Sergo Ordzhonikidze). ;)
In that sense, you may say that "Linyennyi Korabl tipa A" (Battleship of the A-type) is forerunner of Pr. 23, but that applies also to the design proposal submitted by TsKBS-1 (Tsentralnoye Konstruktorskoye Byuro Spetssudostroyenya - Central Design Office of Special Shipbuilding).
[/quote]

I know that KB-4 was a construction bureau (Breyer as well as russian sources tells it). But it doesn't matter whether or not, because this abbreviation is the only identifier of this ship.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]  Return to “Never-Built Designs”

Jump to: