Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ] 
Karle94
Post subject: USS Washington BB-47: Victim of the Washington Naval TreatyPosted: November 18th, 2020, 8:36 am
In my strive for ever increasing quality and improvement which has been greatly helped with a combination of AU-drawings and feedback recieved on Discord has led me to draw the USS Washington BB-47, the third ship of the Colorado class. She was 75,9% complete when she was cancelled in 1922. She would most definetely have seen service starting in 1923. The drawing was to serve as a prototype for a future upgrade of the rest of the class, and as a base for the Tennessee class, which the Colorado class was virtually identical with. For the most part, she will look the same as the three other of the class. With the exception of lifeboats the four ships will look identical until about the 30s with minor differances in the boat complement and minor elements relating to the superstructure.

USS Washington as hypothetically commissioned in 1923:
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
emperor_andreas
Post subject: Re: USS Washington BB-47: Victim of the Washington Naval TreatyPosted: November 18th, 2020, 6:36 pm
Awesome work!

The Official IJN Ships & Planes List

#FJB

[Profile] [Quote]
Steampower1
Post subject: Re: USS Washington BB-47: Victim of the Washington Naval TreatyPosted: December 5th, 2020, 7:39 pm
Very nice. We should have finished Washington and scrapped Arkansas.

[Profile] [Quote]
Karle94
Post subject: Re: USS Washington BB-47: Victim of the Washington Naval TreatyPosted: December 5th, 2020, 8:30 pm
I don't know if there would be enough displacement in the treaty to do that.

[Profile] [Quote]
emperor_andreas
Post subject: Re: USS Washington BB-47: Victim of the Washington Naval TreatyPosted: December 5th, 2020, 8:44 pm
Steampower1 wrote: *
We should have finished Washington and scrapped Arkansas.
Actually, Wyoming was older. Scrap Wyoming and use Arkansas as the gunnery training ship.

The Official IJN Ships & Planes List

#FJB

[Profile] [Quote]
BB1987
Post subject: Re: USS Washington BB-47: Victim of the Washington Naval TreatyPosted: December 5th, 2020, 8:47 pm
The real issue is the fact that Wasington was a 16-inch gunned battleship. The US could not have more than three (like Japan and the UK were capped at two) by treaty.

-Koko Kyouwakoku (Republic of Koko)
-Koko's carrier-based aircrafts of WWII
-Koko Kaiun Yuso Kaisha - KoKaYu Line (Koko AU spinoff)
-Koko - Civil Aviation

[Profile] [Quote]
Colombamike
Post subject: Re: USS Washington BB-47: Victim of the Washington Naval TreatyPosted: December 5th, 2020, 9:07 pm
;)
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: USS Washington BB-47: Victim of the Washington Naval TreatyPosted: December 6th, 2020, 3:43 pm
Excellent drawing that I'd somehow missed. Is there reason to think that the portholes in the superstructure would be larger than those in the hull? It seems plausible to me that 18" is more appropriate than 24" for the superstructure as well.

[Profile] [Quote]
Karle94
Post subject: Re: USS Washington BB-47: Victim of the Washington Naval TreatyPosted: December 6th, 2020, 4:50 pm
Pictures my friend. It seems it was the case for American ships to have larger portholes in the superstructure, probably because they were less of a weakness and if they are flooding, then the ship is already lost.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]  Return to “Never-Built Designs”

Jump to: