Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 2  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 »
Corp
Post subject: SC-21 COEA Concept 3A3 aka Heavy Cruiser aka Everything and the kitchen SinkPosted: November 25th, 2020, 9:43 pm
Started on this awhile back but didn't make much progress. Dusted it off yesterday to put the actual work in to finish what I believe is one of the more "out there" conceptsto arise from the SC-21 COEA. Concept 3A3 The Heavy Cruiser. Friedman describes it as follows:
[ img ]
As you can see this ship is an absolute beast and NAVSEA envisioned it has having seemingly everything you could want in a ship. In some grimdark alternate timeline this is what Zumwalt looks like, the ultimate naval swiss army knife and in all likelihood a bigger clusterfuck than what we ended up with.

Shown below is my current progress.
[ img ]
I've got a long way to go, mostly extrapolating various details based on the scant description I have as well as a heaping side of guesswork and artistic license. Posting it now because I've been meaning to post more of my wip stuff on the forum rather than just on discord.

EDIT: Realized I mixed up the names of the power projection ship (3A1, a separate ship) and 3A3 (This ship, the heavy cruiser.

Last edited by Corp on November 27th, 2020, 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
maxwell john
Post subject: Re: SC-21 COEA Concept 3A3 aka Power Projection Ship aka Everything and the kitchen SinkPosted: November 26th, 2020, 1:52 pm
Now this is a beautiful ship.

I like this very much
Thanks for making it

[Profile] [Quote]
Kattsun
Post subject: Re: SC-21 COEA Concept 3A3 aka Power Projection Ship aka Everything and the kitchen SinkPosted: November 26th, 2020, 2:24 pm
imagine not combining the double lcac and dozen copter hangar one rip in rips

you should draw the supertanker one with the FMLAC towers next that was a cutie patootie

The Chinese people are not to be cowed by U.S. atomic blackmail. Our country has a population of 600 million and an area of 9.6 [million sq. km]. The United States cannot annihilate the Chinese nation with its small stack of atom bombs. Even if the U.S. atom bombs were so powerful that, when dropped on China, they would make a hole right through the earth, or even blow it up, that would hardly mean anything to the universe as a whole, though it might be a major event for the solar system.

[Profile] [Quote]
Corp
Post subject: Re: SC-21 COEA Concept 3A3 aka Power Projection Ship aka Everything and the kitchen SinkPosted: November 26th, 2020, 4:39 pm
Kattsun wrote: *
imagine not combining the double lcac and dozen copter hangar one rip in rips

you should draw the supertanker one with the FMLAC towers next that was a cutie patootie
That one is already in the archive. Drawing is a bit old though so I may try my own take on it eventually.

[Profile] [Quote]
that_person
Post subject: Re: SC-21 COEA Concept 3A3 aka Power Projection Ship aka Everything and the kitchen SinkPosted: November 26th, 2020, 6:20 pm
Very nice work, definitely an interesting concept. Still disapointed you beat me to it!

[Profile] [Quote]
Corp
Post subject: Re: SC-21 COEA Concept 3A3 aka Heavy Cruiser aka Everything and the kitchen SinkPosted: November 27th, 2020, 10:32 pm
Want some opinions on whether or not to depict the mine hunting system in a side bay or not. Text mentions it carries the system but it's not shown where it is on the accompanying diagram.

[ img ]
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
ForceA1
Post subject: Re: SC-21 COEA Concept 3A3 aka Heavy Cruiser aka Everything and the kitchen SinkPosted: November 28th, 2020, 10:10 am
Corp wrote: *
Want some opinions on whether or not to depict the mine hunting system in a side bay or not. Text mentions it carries the system but it's not shown where it is on the accompanying diagram.
Surely the Mk 32 tubes would also be in sidebays? They were moved into the hull of the original unbuilt late 1980s Flight III Burke design, and the COEA concepts did place an emphasis on radar signature reduction.

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: SC-21 COEA Concept 3A3 aka Heavy Cruiser aka Everything and the kitchen SinkPosted: November 29th, 2020, 5:06 pm
I'm also skeptical of the open Mk 32. Otherwise a nice drawing.

[Profile] [Quote]
Corp
Post subject: Re: SC-21 COEA Concept 3A3 aka Heavy Cruiser aka Everything and the kitchen SinkPosted: November 30th, 2020, 3:09 am
Tried out moving the Mk32s into the forward superstructure:
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Corp
Post subject: Re: SC-21 COEA Concept 3A3 aka Heavy Cruiser aka Everything and the kitchen SinkPosted: December 12th, 2020, 8:33 pm
Got side tracked by the ongoing challenge and some other stuff, but I've gone and tweaked the superstructure a bit along with some other minor changes so I think it's going to my "good enough to call done but no drawing is ever truly done" pile until I dig it up in a year or two.
[ img ]

Will probably start on her sister designs, 3A1 and 3A2 at some point in the next month, when I do I'll probably morph this thread into a SC21 COEA concept thread rather than just being for a thread for 3A3

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 2  [ 18 posts ]  Return to “Never-Built Designs” | Go to page 1 2 »

Jump to: