Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ] 
heuhen
Post subject: Norway project "Kraken"Posted: December 19th, 2020, 4:46 pm
Found it on a random Norwegian website, where they talk about Norwegian military and strategy. They had an article about the cost of military equipment and how expensive it have become, compared to the past.
Quote:
Developments in military units in general, and maritime units in particular, have moved in the direction of fewer and larger, but at the same time more capable units. By constantly expanding the capacity of new buildings based on existing designs, the unit price also increases

Project "Kraken"

I know very little about it, it most likely coming from a study about the future Navy. "The Norwegian Armed Forces Research Institute" (FFI-Forsvarets forskningsinstitutt), are after all running many projects, For example: - what requirement is there for a future frigate; - suggestion for a future corvette requirement; - can the armed forces logistics columns be unmanned? - etc.

It do have similarity with Naval Group: UDT 2019 SMX 31, just smaller

What I know:
length: 25 meter
Beam: 3 meter + (some places they talk about diameter 3 meters, question is: is the diameter about the size of the pressure vessel, or the vessel in it self?)
Displacement: 240 tons
Crew: 10 (?)
Battery pack: depending on mission: 25 MWh, 40 MWh, 70 MWh

Range:
- from +-4000 Nm to +-10000 Nm @ 3+ knots
- from +-2000 Nm to +-6000 Nm @ 8+ knots
- from +-1000 Nm to +-2500 Nm @ 12+ knots

[ img ]

I have seen it with a different propulsion system, then podded azimuth propellers. The other version had sort of build in wing on both side of the hull, aft of center, with a version of water-jet-thruster or ducked propellers but I can't find the illustration anymore!

Last edited by heuhen on December 20th, 2020, 5:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
Corp
Post subject: Re: Norway project "Kraken"Posted: December 19th, 2020, 6:46 pm
Neat concept and very well drawn. Do you have any more info on the proposal?

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: Norway project "Kraken"Posted: December 19th, 2020, 8:25 pm
Corp wrote: *
Neat concept and very well drawn. Do you have any more info on the proposal?
thank you
Corp wrote: *
Do you have any more info on the proposal?
Sadly not. The only ting I know, is that this project was a study to see how big a submarine need to be to work in Norwegian waters. It was also to be a cheaper alternative.

Basically the idea was to instead of buying 4-6 expensive submarine that need crew, you can't build 6-8 small submarine that are semi-autonomous, aka. you can run them with either half the crew of an Ula class or no crew at all... or ideally with a minimal crew that only monitor the submarine.

The other thing, is the powerplant, it is only battery's that are mounted in the outer hull that are equipped with quick release, most likely so they can replace the battery with a fully charged on ...fast. thus the need for having a powerplant onboard it not needed. This would work nice in Norway with all out fjords, where you can do this at any harbor with road access.

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: Norway project "Kraken"Posted: December 20th, 2020, 4:54 pm
An interesting concept and well drawn.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]  Return to “Never-Built Designs”

Jump to: