Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ] 
Earl_of_Arland
Post subject: AG Vulcan Stettin Type 1934 Destroyer designPosted: March 2nd, 2021, 8:47 am
[ img ]
This design is AG Vulcan Stettin entry to compete for the Type 1934 destroyers. It is initially designed to fit the demands for a 1,500t DD, which were 38kn top speed, four 128mm (exchangeable with 150mm) guns and 2x3 533mm TT.

As requirements grew, a required increase in torpedo armament from 2x3 to 2x4, longer range and the adoption of a fifth gun necessitates an increased tonnage to 1,850t. However, the latter were unable to be met and the design was dropped.

[ img ]

Original Specifications
128.5m long
11.5m wide
4.2m draught
2x40,000 shp
38 knot top speed
4x1 128mm or 150mm
2 37mm guns
2 20mm guns
2x3 or 2x4 533mm TT

I have taken some liberties, notably exchanging the 37 mm with 2 quad 20 mm and FuMo-21 on top of the bridge. Other than that, the drawing should be faithful to the original design with inspiration from Type 1934A destroyers.

Last edited by Earl_of_Arland on March 4th, 2021, 5:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: AG Vulcan Stettin Type 1934 Destroyer designPosted: March 2nd, 2021, 3:44 pm
Welcome aboard.
This is a fine start to Shipbucket and your drawing looks good, well drawn and nicely detailed and shaded.

There is however one problem, it has been slightly mis-scaled.
128.5m = 421.5ft
So it should be 842 pixels long but your drawing is 852 pixels. Not a massive difference but it may have made the height of the drawing slightly out of scale too (but probably not more than 1-2 pixels I would think).

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
maomatic
Post subject: Re: AG Vulcan Stettin Type 1934 Destroyer designPosted: March 2nd, 2021, 6:18 pm
Very nice work, indeed!

A few pointers:
- The stairs and the bracing of the bridge wings were all drawn in black, which looks cluttered and created quite a few double black lines. I'd loosen things up by changing some parts to a dark grey colour.

- The Rangefinders, anchor and guns could benefit of some further detailing. Maybe check some photos of early destroyers for references.

- The pinnace would've been painted in an off-white colour, if depicted pre-/ early-war. You might also want to add a cutter somewhere behind it.

- Personally, I'd prefer her drawn as designed, which would mean dropping the radar and switching the Vierlings into 3.7s. Since it is a pre-war design I'd also drop the shields of the light AA. The Kriegsmarine was very late to the shielded AA game...

cheers!
maomatic

[Profile] [Quote]
armyco
Post subject: Re: AG Vulcan Stettin Type 1934 Destroyer designPosted: March 2nd, 2021, 7:37 pm
beautiful drawing. but it is worth thinking about darkening the handrails in places where they pass in front of darker structures

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: AG Vulcan Stettin Type 1934 Destroyer designPosted: March 2nd, 2021, 10:01 pm
armyco wrote: *
beautiful drawing. but it is worth thinking about darkening the handrails in places where they pass in front of darker structures
Railing should have one colore, according to shipbucket drawing regulations

[Profile] [Quote]
emperor_andreas
Post subject: Re: AG Vulcan Stettin Type 1934 Destroyer designPosted: March 2nd, 2021, 10:20 pm
Very nice work! Would've been a nice-looking class of ships, too!

The Official IJN Ships & Planes List

#FJB

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: AG Vulcan Stettin Type 1934 Destroyer designPosted: March 3rd, 2021, 7:23 pm
Welcome to the Shipbucket.
Others have already pointed out the problems, but other than these, it's a nice drawing.

[Profile] [Quote]
Earl_of_Arland
Post subject: Re: AG Vulcan Stettin Type 1934 Destroyer designPosted: March 4th, 2021, 5:35 am
Thank you everyone for the input

I just realized that i scaled the design incorrectly during the first stage, thanks for reminding me. Anyway, i added additional details for the rangefinder and turrets based on Z-39, and somewhat fixed the stair issues. I tried to add the cutter, but it looks so cluttered at the bridge area i discarded it. And also, a variant with pre-war ish status.

[ img ]
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ]  Return to “Never-Built Designs”

Jump to: