Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ] 
Blackbuck
Post subject: AFCON Corvette FamilyPosted: July 23rd, 2021, 2:15 pm
Another year another drawing...

This time a rehashing of the AFCON corvette(s). AFCON or Advanced Frigate Consortium was an entity consting of Bath Iron Works, Lockheed Martin and IZAR. Responsible for the F100 and F310 frigates they also schemed out a minimum Aegis combatant which are illustrated below.

Main Particulars
Length Overall ........................................ 102.0 m
Length on the Waterline ........................... 95.0 m
Maximum Beam ........................................ 13.9 m
Beam on the waterline .............................. 13.5 m
Depth to main deck .................................. 7.0 m
Design Draft ............................................ 3.78 m
Contractual Full Load Displacement............... 2580 t
Future Growth Margin (5% Full Load) ............ 130 t
Full Load Displacement including margin ........ 2710 t
Maximum Speed (Trials) ............................ 27 kn
Cruising Speed .........................................15 kn
Range at Cruising Speed ........................... 4,000 nm
Total accommodation capacity.................... 80

Armament betwen all variants include a pair of "20mm machine guns" which I've supplanted by Mk.38s as they seem more likely, Evolved Sea-Sparrow missiles either in individual Mk41 cells or proper eight-cell blocks and finally a pair of 324mm triple torpedo tubes for ASW work.

Other variants were schemed with the Low Cost ASW weapon (a rocket propelled mini-torpedo), 127mm gun in place of the 76, SSM or LAMs (shown here as Harpoon and Sea SLAM).

All variants feature the smallest of the SPY-1 family, the SPY-1K and an unspecified keel-mounted sonar and a pair of SPG-62s. Sensors and ESM/ECM gear between other variants varies in the literature and is pretty vague in in what it is. I opted for APECS for the AAW and multi-mission variants whilst the others retain their very generic items.

Baseline
[ img ]

AAW Variant
[ img ]

ASW Variant
[ img ]

ASuW Variant
[ img ]

Land Attack Variant
[ img ]

Enhanced Multi-Mission Variant
[ img ]

It should be noted that the renders within the literature vary between one page to another as do those around on the web, as such I've tried my best to combine what I can.

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: AFCON Corvette FamilyPosted: July 23rd, 2021, 5:08 pm
These are very nice drawings. Four things:

1) How confident are you in this helo selection? The source documentation I've seen indicates NH-90 or similar, which I think would likely mean SH-60. I admit I don't have my technical library in front of me.

2) What's the difference between the ASuW and Land Attack variants? Is that canister-launched SLAM or something?

3) I've had good luck with partially transparent pixels for showing this RHIB and torpedo chain-shielding arrangement. Maybe something to play with.

4) You left your gray gradient cheat sheet on the AAW drawing ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
Blackbuck
Post subject: Re: AFCON Corvette FamilyPosted: July 23rd, 2021, 5:54 pm
erik_t wrote: *
These are very nice drawings. Four things:

1) How confident are you in this helo selection? The source documentation I've seen indicates NH-90 or similar, which I think would likely mean SH-60. I admit I don't have my technical library in front of me.

2) What's the difference between the ASuW and Land Attack variants? Is that canister-launched SLAM or something?

3) I've had good luck with partially transparent pixels for showing this RHIB and torpedo chain-shielding arrangement. Maybe something to play with.

4) You left your gray gradient cheat sheet on the AAW drawing ;)

1: As per the PDF I'm working from "The ship has the necessary facilities to land, secure fuel and start a medium helicopter (less than 10 tons). As an option the ship can be provided with hangar and helicopter handling system for hosting a small helicopter (Lynx type)".
2: according to the PDF, SSMs vs land-attack missiles and yes, canister launched SLAM. Mk.41 SLAM was proposed so it seems a reasonable enough suggestion to have them fired from the regular canisters. Both get the hangar and 127mm gun according to the variants bubble though the land-attack variant makes a note of a UAV as an alternative.
3: Will have a play around with that
4: :oops:

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: AFCON Corvette FamilyPosted: July 23rd, 2021, 6:44 pm
Page 6 of this says
Quote:
Helo integration on ship platform: The AFCON Corvette is designed to handle (landing, securing, fuelling and starting) a mediumhelicopter (NH-90 or similar). The Helo Deckoccupies the astern area.
It does appear as though the variants with hangars could only stow a light helo.

[Profile] [Quote]
Ro-Po Max
Post subject: Re: AFCON Corvette FamilyPosted: July 25th, 2021, 10:27 am
Blackbuck wrote: *
Very nice work my dude :)

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: AFCON Corvette FamilyPosted: July 25th, 2021, 6:20 pm
Interesting and very well done.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]  Return to “Never-Built Designs”