Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 2  [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 »
Karle94
Post subject: Unbuilt/Unfinished Coastal-Defense ShipsPosted: September 21st, 2022, 6:59 am
Here's a thread for some unfinished, and/or unbuilt coastel-defense ships I've drawn. The designs I have are from several nations, ranging from the Scandics, to China.

From smallest to largest:

Bjørgvin class, the never completed design for Norway, bought by the British to become HMS Gorgon and Glatton.
[ img ]

The Sverige class as planned in 1911. The class saw some changes from planned to completion, that being the repostitioned main-mast, deletion of the aft tripod legs, the deletion of the pilot-house, repositioning of the searchlights, Drottning Victoria and Gustav V being finished with rebuilt bows with a half-raised focsle deck, and the Sverige herself being finished with a half turtle-deck bow. Originally there were to be 4 Sverige-class ships, but due to WW1 Sweden was unable to afford the fouth ship, and the latter two of the class were finished post-war.
[ img ]

The Pansarskepp 1926 was a design for an improved fourth ship to be built. The bow was further redesigned, an improved 50-caliber version of the 280mm gun was made, and the 75mm DP gun was to be used, as opposed to the sp gun on the Sverige. The hull was also lengthened to increase speed.
[ img ]

Don't have much backstory or design history to this one, only raw data and that it was made by Armstrong. It's a large and slow CDS for China, armed with 4x15" guns, 8x4,7" guns.
[ img ]

Last edited by Karle94 on September 22nd, 2022, 6:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: Unbuilt/Unfinished Coastal-Defense ShipsPosted: September 21st, 2022, 1:49 pm
excellent drawings.

quite some improvements on my version of Bjørgvin class, I think you'r bow is a little better then mine, also with placement of some various things and details. Did you manage to get some good drawings?
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Karle94
Post subject: Re: Unbuilt/Unfinished Coastal-Defense ShipsPosted: September 21st, 2022, 2:31 pm
I used drawings of the Gorgon/Glatton as a base then added back/modified it back to the original design. Other than that, my two sources are two images of the model from the museum.

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: Unbuilt/Unfinished Coastal-Defense ShipsPosted: September 21st, 2022, 5:30 pm
Karle94 wrote: *
I used drawings of the Gorgon/Glatton as a base then added back/modified it back to the original design. Other than that, my two sources are two images of the model from the museum.
ah. same as me, shows two different eyes can see things different

[Profile] [Quote]
Karle94
Post subject: Re: Unbuilt/Unfinished Coastal-Defense ShipsPosted: September 21st, 2022, 5:42 pm
What I wish I could find out is what kind of 100mm gun was used. I left out the four unshielded mounts as I have no idea what to draw. It's the same situation whenever I see a ship that has 75mm guns. No-one really used any.

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: Unbuilt/Unfinished Coastal-Defense ShipsPosted: September 21st, 2022, 6:21 pm
What I wish I could find out is what kind of 100mm gun was used. I left out the four unshielded mounts as I have no idea what to draw. It's the same situation whenever I see a ship that has 75mm guns. No-one really used any.
I had same problem, I but when I study the model now, I suspect:
- 2 x shielded wing turret on upper deck, as you have it. (I think they was British 4"/40 QF Mark IV, bored to 3.94" instead of 4")
- 4 x casemate 100mm guns based on British: 4"/40 QF Mark IV. On the main deck, in similar fashion of previous classes

They wouldn't get the (modified) 4"/45 QF Mark V, since that one come into service in 1914 and wouldn't be ready for both ships since they was build 1912-1914.

casemate location in red, if you study close that area inside the red circle, you can barely see hatches, hold up by those "golden"-hinges (it's probably weather protection, and would fold down toward the deck, with the gun inside. Either inside the structure; or on a rail; or it's big enough for it to rotate fully inside):
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Karle94
Post subject: Re: Unbuilt/Unfinished Coastal-Defense ShipsPosted: September 21st, 2022, 6:31 pm
If we were to assume that the shielded mount is correctly scaled, I used yours btw, then the British gun is either too tall or has way too short of a barrel.

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: Unbuilt/Unfinished Coastal-Defense ShipsPosted: September 21st, 2022, 8:25 pm
If we were to assume that the shielded mount is correctly scaled, I used yours btw, then the British gun is either too tall or has way too short of a barrel.
I had the same issue, back then, but I as I understand it. all guns was modified for Norwegian needs, specially ammunition size.

(Main guns, was based on an British railroad artillery gun, fun fact of the main guns, was that they had one of the longest firing range of all guns up to 1918, only surpassed by a British 18" gun, used on monitors.)

I still think they, are 4in Mk-IV, not the Mk-V, due to it come into service at the same time as both ship did, but I wouldn't be surprised, since both ship was clearly an massive upgrade, compared to previous class and the Navy really went for it.

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Karle94
Post subject: Re: Unbuilt/Unfinished Coastal-Defense ShipsPosted: September 22nd, 2022, 5:58 pm
I've updated the Bjørgvin with more defined hatches. Anyone find it likely that 1-pdr, or 2-pdr guns would be added? There's no info of guns smaller than 10cm being on the ship, but most ships had at least 1 pair of 37mm (1-pdr) Hotchkiss guns as saluting guns, or at least one 40mm (2-pdr) gun for AA purposes, or altnernativaly a 3-pdr (47mm) gun in high-angle mounts, again for AA purposes.

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: Unbuilt/Unfinished Coastal-Defense ShipsPosted: September 23rd, 2022, 3:41 pm
On the model it looks like there is a gun on the rear 15cm gun. It is most likely a: Hotckiss 3pdr (47mm) or a Vickers 3-pdr.

The vickers 3-pdr, match the era and it was quite often put on Cruisers and monitors. The only thing the Hotckiss have, is that it's old, but still active, but was by UK found to be to light in WW1 as the role of anti-torpedo boat guns on cruisers, they was used as training and saluting guns, but was still in service on vehicles and minor boats up to 1939.

So I would say that the gun on the aft 15cm is most likely a Vickers 3-pdr, as anti-torpedo boat gun. With added small shield.

red circle:
1. on top of turret, most likely a Vickers 3-pdr
2. 2 x Vickers 3-pdr (Starboard and port), Probably to cover for the blind spot from the flank 10cm guns (specially toward aft) (probably used as salut gun as well)

Yellow circle:
1. unknown (anti mine weapon?)

clean picture:
https://i.imgur.com/iEhkKlD.jpg
[ img ]

HMS Glatton:
https://www.the-blueprints.com/blueprin ... -88980.jpg
https://images.squarespace-cdn.com/cont ... rmat=2500w

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 2  [ 11 posts ]  Return to “Never-Built Designs” | Go to page 1 2 »

Jump to: