Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 2  [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 »
dalamace
Post subject: Japanese B-65 BattlecruiserPosted: September 29th, 2022, 7:14 am
Hello,

I've drawn the Imperial Japanese never-were battlecruiser based on the drawings and technical specifications by Hajime Fukaya. The drawing is based on his specifications given in "Warship International" of 1965, so his accuracy (and mine for that matter) might not be completely correct, so if there're any feedback it would wonderful.

[ img ]

Thank You

[Profile] [Quote]
emperor_andreas
Post subject: Re: Japanese B-65 BattlecruiserPosted: September 29th, 2022, 1:18 pm
Very nice work!

The Official IJN Ships & Planes List

#FJB

[Profile] [Quote]
bugsier_060
Post subject: Re: Japanese B-65 BattlecruiserPosted: September 30th, 2022, 12:52 pm
one of the most elegant ships ever constructed. Very fine depiction of this type. In a technical view I wonder that the Japanese didn't use the bulbous bow on this type as well. Think about the Yamato class which was contructed some years before B-65 and was fitted with that bow.

[Profile] [Quote]
Karle94
Post subject: Re: Japanese B-65 BattlecruiserPosted: September 30th, 2022, 1:03 pm
It likely would have used a bulbous bow, more similar to American ships.

[Profile] [Quote]
bugsier_060
Post subject: Re: Japanese B-65 BattlecruiserPosted: September 30th, 2022, 3:01 pm
Karle94 wrote: *
Yes, Karle, this could have well been the case because a "normal" bow would have meant a step backwards in terms of hydrodynamics.

[Profile] [Quote]
dalamace
Post subject: Re: Japanese B-65 BattlecruiserPosted: September 30th, 2022, 6:18 pm
bugsier_060 wrote: *
Yes, Karle, this could have well been the case because a "normal" bow would have meant a step backwards in terms of hydrodynamics.
Hajime Fukaya's drawing of the ship did not have a bulbous bow like that of the Yamato-class. And I struggle to remember which American ships have bulbous bows like the Yamato-class either?

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: Japanese B-65 BattlecruiserPosted: September 30th, 2022, 6:21 pm
dalamace wrote: *
Hajime Fukaya's drawing of the ship did not have a bulbous bow like that of the Yamato-class. And I struggle to remember which American ships have bulbous bows like the Yamato-class either?
Probably it would have something similar to Iowa class

[Profile] [Quote]
dalamace
Post subject: Re: Japanese B-65 BattlecruiserPosted: September 30th, 2022, 6:26 pm
heuhen wrote: *

The design of the B-65's bow was more similar to the Agano or the Taiho imo.

[Profile] [Quote]
Karle94
Post subject: Re: Japanese B-65 BattlecruiserPosted: September 30th, 2022, 6:32 pm
No American ships had bulbous bows like that of the Yamato, plenty of ships, Taiho included had American style bulbous bows.

[Profile] [Quote]
bugsier_060
Post subject: Re: Japanese B-65 BattlecruiserPosted: October 1st, 2022, 12:01 pm
heuhen wrote: *

The design of the B-65's bow was more similar to the Agano or the Taiho imo.
Of course Dalamace, the bulbous bow of Yamato/Musashi was absolutely unique. Though the Germans (Bismarck/Tirpitz/Scharnhorst/Gneisenau), the Italians (Roma class) and the Americans (Missouri class etc.) had a so called "pear-shaped" bow or also called "drop shaped" bow (with slight differences per country), which was at least an improvement compared with the old fashioned bow. The Germans developed this bow type already in the 20ies and applied them to the steamers "Bremen" und "Europe". Also the "Taiho" had it, you mentioned it. But the bow of Yamato/Musashi was far ahead of its time as the discoveries of the wrecks revealed.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 2  [ 11 posts ]  Return to “Never-Built Designs” | Go to page 1 2 »

Jump to: