Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 1  [ 10 posts ] 
heuhen
Post subject: Bjørgvin class coastal defence shipsPosted: October 25th, 2011, 4:20 pm
As Bjørgvin class coastal defence ships:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bj%C3%B8rg ... fence_ship
As Gorgon class monitor:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gorgon_class_monitor

Note: she was to have 6 * 10cm guns but I only know the location of two of them, they other is a mystery.

[ img ]

And here with a special detail
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
ALVAMA
Post subject: Re: Bjørgvin class coastal defence shipsPosted: October 25th, 2011, 4:22 pm
Awesome!!!! One of the best around!

[Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: Bjørgvin class coastal defence shipsPosted: October 25th, 2011, 4:31 pm
ALVAMA wrote:
Awesome!!!! One of the best around!
coming from you means a lot as SB artist :D

[Profile] [Quote]
dreadnaught111
Post subject: Re: Bjørgvin class coastal defence shipsPosted: October 27th, 2011, 6:59 am
It's a pity Romania didn't buy the Gorgon, she deserved a longer career! :D

[Profile] [Quote]
Ashley
Post subject: Re: Bjørgvin class coastal defence shipsPosted: November 3rd, 2011, 7:50 am
heuhen wrote:
And here with a special detail
Great drawing, superior details. I like those non SB-standard-railings. They look so ..right.

Maybe bring the aa on the turrets on zero level (because of the sb-standard, you know)

There are many scandinavian ships of that kind. I wonder why the vikings prefer them. Can you explain to me?

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: Bjørgvin class coastal defence shipsPosted: November 3rd, 2011, 8:33 am
Norway have what you will call a island-dotted coastal waters. It's a bit like the old pt boats Norway had in the 70-80's, equipped with torpedoes and missiles, could in a group of 3-6 boats create huge problems for large surface vessels, but can go where the big ships can not go.

And take and read this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coastal_defence_ship

Did you know:
- since Navy upgraded its fleet of PT from Hauk and Storm class Skjold class masst Navy over 50% of all the places they could Hide and where they could run through. When the skjold class is over twice the width of an old PT boats.
- When the Navy took on new frigates, the number of places they can run reduced since on several of places are bridges too low, the bridges were built at a height suitable for the Oslo class.
- When the Tirpitz was sunk, so did the British know how she was going to run, because she was so big, and where she lay was in a small fjord (inlet). which did not give her much room to move on.

So a small powefull ship that alone can take a cruiser, ore in a grupe of 4 can give a BB a 5 min headache.

try to take the Yamato in the narrow Norwegian fjords. where you have small battleships (coastal defense ships) that can go places Yamato can not go and thus can avoid the enemy fire, but show up when she is ready to shoot. Hit and run!

If you want to now about Vikings under WW2 read about this ship (I can reveal that she was almost 350m from her, just in the blind spot. and those of her crew lost that day, well they died by that weather conditions was so bad that the boat was more submarine a boat, but still ..!)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HNoMS_Stord

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: Bjørgvin class coastal defence shipsPosted: November 3rd, 2011, 8:37 am
Ashley wrote:
Maybe bring the aa on the turrets on zero level (because of the sb-standard, you know)
The guns can't be lowered that much in reality.
Ashley wrote:
There are many scandinavian ships of that kind. I wonder why the vikings prefer them. Can you explain to me?
Cost. We wanted big guns at sea and these ships were the cheapest way to do it.

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: Bjørgvin class coastal defence shipsPosted: November 3rd, 2011, 9:36 am
AA:

That's how they are placed on the model of Bjorgvin the Navy Museum in Horten.

Thiel, provided you with the perfect short version of why. What I can add is that Norway had a size limite and it was called Horten naval shipyard. Bjorgvin class would just fit in the dock with a 1.5 meter clearance!

[Profile] [Quote]
Ashley
Post subject: Re: Bjørgvin class coastal defence shipsPosted: November 7th, 2011, 8:24 pm
Thanks for explaining, understood. I would have thought, some cruisers would do it, but yes, if you want big guns at fjords...of course.

[Profile] [Quote]
ashleyjames222
Post subject: Re: Bjørgvin class coastal defence shipsPosted: February 1st, 2012, 9:20 am
Thats quite helpfull thanks for sharing

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 1  [ 10 posts ]  Return to “Never-Built Designs”

Jump to: