Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 3 of 7  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 57 »
Chuck ship art
Post subject: Re: LEXINGTON CLASS BATTLE CRUISER BU CHARLESPosted: January 18th, 2012, 2:32 am
thanks Ashley

I will use yours a guide.

[Profile] [Quote]
Chuck ship art
Post subject: Re: LEXINGTON CLASS BATTLE CRUISER BU CHARLESPosted: January 18th, 2012, 7:15 am
here is a new upload with the color different and also three crane options give your vote on the one that you think fits the time of the ship.

I removed the png file for this post. No use keeping old versions

Last edited by Chuck ship art on January 25th, 2012, 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
CanisD
Post subject: Re: LEXINGTON CLASS BATTLE CRUISER BU CHARLESPosted: January 18th, 2012, 7:24 am
[ img ][ img ][ img ]
Some contemporary designs that might help with details.

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: LEXINGTON CLASS BATTLE CRUISER BU CHARLESPosted: January 18th, 2012, 3:37 pm
I'd say do keep the existing crane. I cannot understand the argument that it's too modern or advanced for the time. Rather you have to envision this class being completed between, I think, 1925-27, and that's only a few years ahead of the French heavy cruiser Suffren, completed in 1930 and which featured a rather advanced crane design amidships; so too, did her predecessors of the Tourville-class! So I opine that you keep it as is!

[Profile] [Quote]
SrGopher
Post subject: Re: LEXINGTON CLASS BATTLE CRUISER BU CHARLESPosted: January 18th, 2012, 10:11 pm
Well, I meant that the thing with the crane applied for the design if it was to be built during the war. But for a ship being built a shortly before the 30's, that crane would be perfectly fine. But, for a 20's-30's ship, you would need to upgrade a lot more than just having that crane. If you want help with that, I can give a few pointers, but someone else here might be able to help a lot more. It would make a great concept drawing.

[Profile] [Quote]
Chuck ship art
Post subject: Re: LEXINGTON CLASS BATTLE CRUISER BU CHARLESPosted: January 19th, 2012, 1:08 am
Thanks for the input bezobrazov and SrGopher
and to all other that are taking the time to respond

I can under stand both points of view. I do think if it was built the crane I have on now would be good I stole it from the Lexington class ship as it was laid down before it was converted to the aircraft carrier. Though since this wold be put in “never built” designs it should have the crane that it would be designed for. I only have it in beginners since this is my first posting. So I think I should go with a crane that reflects the 1910 to 1915 type. To me that seems the number one crane. I stole that from a German Battle ship though it is not American I was wandering about #3 that came from the early North Carolina battle ship.

The two other areas I think need work is the shading of course. It is a harder to do since there is no real direction of the light. I work that it is about 45 degrees in line with the ship. How does “ship bucket” do it. The other area that I have been trying to find the closest example of the bridge to the drawings I took of f the Web I know they do not match each other so I guessed I have looked at a couple of Lexington class ships and other old ships of that era and cant fined on that really works least in my mind.

I have attached another Lexington class design the one I think I will do next.

Charles

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: LEXINGTON CLASS BATTLE CRUISER BU CHARLESPosted: January 19th, 2012, 5:37 pm
...and that image actually shows a boat crane very akin to your no. 2 crane variant, so you can use that one then!

[Profile] [Quote]
Chuck ship art
Post subject: Re: LEXINGTON CLASS BATTLE CRUISER BU CHARLESPosted: January 22nd, 2012, 5:42 am
color=#FF00FF]I removed the png file for this post. No use keeping old versions[/color]

Here is an updated file of the project as it stands now. I changed the crane and added rivets to the hull plus a few other minor cleanup. The thing that looks like a fishing pole in the upper left corner is a boom for torpedo nets. I want to wait a little before I am ready to place them. I am trying “GIMP 2”) paint program it has nice tools but I am still getting to know it so I have bounced between it and MS paint. Hopefully that will give me a way to give better shading to the project.

take care all Charles

Last edited by Chuck ship art on January 25th, 2012, 2:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
Novice
Post subject: Re: LEXINGTON CLASS BATTLE CRUISER BU CHARLESPosted: January 22nd, 2012, 5:50 pm
Don't place the torpedo nets, as by the end of WW1 it was clearly evident that these are useless on ships.
Any way, good progress and keep it up.

"Never fear to try on something new. Remember that the Titanic was built by professionals, and the Ark by an amateur"

[Profile] [Quote]
Chuck ship art
Post subject: Re: LEXINGTON CLASS BATTLE CRUISER BU CHARLESPosted: January 22nd, 2012, 6:47 pm
I under stand about the torpedo net being found to be lacking but since this is a 1912 design would they put that in the design than. One thing to remember that the design was a pipe dream back then. Designers just thought that any thing they wanted to build could be despite cost and practicality. This was a 1200 foot ship that only had 12" or maybe 14" Guns. Maybe at that time they would have considered torpedo nets. I also have to admit the area of the thicker armor belt just looks so empty that I am just trying to work out what wold be in that area. So does any one have any ideas.

Thanks all for your comments

Charles

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 3 of 7  [ 67 posts ]  Return to “Never-Built Designs” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 57 »

Jump to: