Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 8  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 3 4 58 »
RP1
Post subject: Type 26 / GCS: Late 2011 and early 2012Posted: March 10th, 2012, 8:35 pm
Type 26 Global Combat ship as presented shown in BAE presentations in late 2011.

[ img ]

This ship is based on a design shown at the "Engine As A Weapon 2011" conference. Scaling was based on the assumption of "approximately 148m" being the overall length, which lead to a broad match with the EH101, 127mm LW and ARTISAN radar.

I believe that this version has the mission bay in the hull. I will update this drawing to reflect the alternate design with the mission bay in the superstructure and add that as ..._2

RP1

Last edited by RP1 on March 23rd, 2012, 11:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: Type 26 / GCSPosted: March 10th, 2012, 8:56 pm
Very nice.

[Profile] [Quote]
Wolfman
Post subject: Re: Type 26 / GCSPosted: March 10th, 2012, 8:57 pm
What TimothyC said.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Type 26 / GCSPosted: March 10th, 2012, 9:16 pm
only 2 things:
- you might want to use the newer oto melara 127 LW drawing
- very nice work!

[Profile] [Quote]
Philbob
Post subject: Re: Type 26 / GCSPosted: March 11th, 2012, 3:47 am
there is a video showing a again revised design from early 2012 you might want to do that also.

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: Type 26 / GCSPosted: March 11th, 2012, 10:52 am
Excellent work RP1. I've been waiting for this eagerly!

I'm sure there are dozens of CGI out there and will be more before these ships are laid down. If this is BAe's current thinking then that's fine. Doubtless as we know more as the construction unfolds this profile will be refined further.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
Philbob
Post subject: Re: Type 26 / GCSPosted: March 11th, 2012, 8:02 pm
well of the T26 there are at least 3 variations now (if you look at FCS or what ever alphabet soup they had going back into the 90s there are many more.) The original design which was 6000+ tons, and two variations that are in the 5000 to 5400/5500 ton range. The budget was slashed for these ships from 500 million pounds to about 250-350 million and the revised design that began appearing late last year is probably the fruition of that. Having a smaller ships actually might be better then the 6000 ton FREMM on the export market especially if, they provide a modern warship with adaptable fitting options with strict financial discipline, and other nations take the UK up on its offer of joint design ( I still think the Brazilians are set on the Italian FREMM.) There will be some trade offs though, the smaller T26 will probably be less useful as dedicated AAW platform (still formidable but the Italian FREMM will have her beat) due to lack of space for growth. But I think by making it smaller and the adaptability this makes it closer in line to the cold war era Leander class.

[Profile] [Quote]
RP1
Post subject: Re: Type 26 / GCSPosted: March 11th, 2012, 8:22 pm
Thanks for the comments, chaps. I will update with the new 127mm gun, and change the filenames to reflect the new standards when they are ready for upload (I am from The Past, and thus don't like URLs with spaces in them on my webspace).

The version released to the public in 2012 is next on the list - AFAIK it was really developed in parallel to this one.

In terms of variants, as of late 2011 there were two main areas for options; mission bay (aft in hull or midships in superstructure) or machinery (CODLAD, CODLAG, IFEP). Looking at the 2012 Q1 images, my guess is that CODLAG / midships mission bay have won out (for the record, those are my preferences, although it means I need to update my "generic Type 26 equivalent", based on public information only, that I use for projects at work...)

Regarding the 2012 version, it is interesting that they put the Phalanx back in, as they represent quite a demand on upperdeck space - arcs of fire need to be clear, the effects of SABOT need to be accounted for and EMI must be considered. I am also curious as to why the 30mm have been raised compared to this variant - that shape at the aft end of the SS is literally the opposite of the shape recommended for minimum FD turbulence, so perhaps it will change later. Still, design effort is cheap at this stage!

FSC actually got up to the 9000-10,000te bracket (baseline 5/7), then fell to 5000-7000te. The big ones were "all singing" designs, however, capable of performing all roles simultaneously. They also had higher performance equipment (possibly due to requirements, possibly due to equipment plans then in place), particularly on the AAW and LA side. The three big differences in FIGHT between that era and T26 seem to be (a) more emphasis on deployable systems and modularity/swing role (b) reduced LA capability (less missiles) and (c) self-defence AAW only - CAMM and ARTISAN as opposed to ASTER and SAMPSON - that significantly reduces the ship impact of AAW (remember that, technically two burly RM could manhandle a CAMM launcher into position, not so with ASTER!).

RP1

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: Type 26 / GCSPosted: March 11th, 2012, 8:40 pm
The sonar dome seems misshapen and lumpy, which detracts the eye from what is otherwise a rather attractive drawing.

[Profile] [Quote]
RP1
Post subject: Re: Type 26 / GCSPosted: March 11th, 2012, 10:47 pm
Yeah, something's not right with it, but I can't figure out what. Note that it sticks out like that on the original drawing.

- RP1

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 8  [ 78 posts ]  Return to “Never-Built Designs” | Go to page 1 2 3 4 58 »

Jump to: