Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 2 of 2  [ 12 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2
LEUT_East
Post subject: Re: perry: ASuW modificationPosted: March 18th, 2012, 8:26 am
ghost792 wrote:
The Mk 13 can already launch Harpoon, so I'm not sure it's worth losing the flight deck for more of them. Is there a way to keep a helicopter capability and add Tomahawks? Maybe switch the hanger to a single-bay, centerline version, with two VLSs on either side (inverted Burke IIA arrangement).
The Mk 13 launcher magazine can be reconfigured to hold more Harpoons by lessening SM-1s if the capability requires so. In my opinion, the USN mindset of omitting a helicopter(s) for OTHT and ASW duties is not an effective use of this platform, especially during the Cold War tensions.

Great rendition though Ace and you have certainly openned up a good discussion topic here.

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
ghost792
Post subject: Re: perry: ASuW modificationPosted: March 18th, 2012, 3:13 pm
Yes, good work, Ace.

I'd love to see the original Proceedings article where this mod is proposed. I want to see the justifications for losing the helos. This mod would make more sense if it were being applied to the "short-hull", SH-2 only ships, but at the time of the article there were no "long-hull" ships and the SH-60 was just starting to enter the fleet.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 2 of 2  [ 12 posts ]  Return to “Never-Built Designs” | Go to page « 1 2

Jump to: