Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 2  [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 »
acelanceloet
Post subject: perry: ASuW modificationPosted: March 10th, 2012, 11:25 pm
in august 1980, an article was published with the title "Will Our Ships Have Enough Cruise
Missile Firepower?" in USNI Proceedings. this article suggested that the USN ships had not enough firepower against surface targets (which was especially an issue before the tomahawk was around) in the article were 2 images, which then showed how additional
missiles could be fitted on Perry class frigates by modifying either the structure or the LAMPS Mk III capabilities of the ship.

I found the drawing of the 'LAMPS refit' on the net without knowing all this, and still haven't read the article as I am no member of USNI and can't access it. (if somebody who is could find it.... #106, page 91-96, according to my source for the above)

anyways, the drawing.
[ img ]

the weapons shown on my ref, a simple tomahawk launcher and an mk 141 harpoon canister angled 30 degrees from the centerline were not drawn in sb, so I decide to make them myself. for people interested:
[ img ]
[ img ]

hope you all like it :P

one last thing: before you all are going to say: this is stupid, you take away a lot of the capabilities, this shouldn't be in neverbuild etc.....
I personally think this is just as stupid as removing the launcher arm. by that these ships were made large expensive patrol craft, by this they would have been made large expensive long range FAC's with air defence capabilities. while it seems stupid to sacrifice one of the perry's best points, something could be said for it............

as always, please comment ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
nighthunter
Post subject: Re: perry: ASuW modificationPosted: March 10th, 2012, 11:45 pm
Akk! I thought this was about a ASW, silly me, nice work Ace!

[Profile] [Quote]
CanisD
Post subject: Re: perry: ASuW modificationPosted: March 11th, 2012, 1:35 am
Their archives online only go back to '87. For older articles you might need to go to one of those big buildings where they kept knowledge before the internet. I did find a similar article about increasing the Harpoon loadout on the Virginia Class CGN's.
http://www.cna.org/sites/default/files/ ... 035000.pdf

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: perry: ASuW modificationPosted: March 11th, 2012, 1:39 am
Yeah, that's where Ace and I were able to find the source for the original image.

[Profile] [Quote]
Raven
Post subject: Re: perry: ASuW modificationPosted: March 11th, 2012, 8:07 pm
I remember that article, think I still have that proceedings somewhere...

By This Sign You Will Conquer

[Profile] [Quote]
Scifibug
Post subject: Re: perry: ASuW modificationPosted: March 16th, 2012, 12:33 pm
Damn! I thought about doing this version several times.
You did a great job with this Acelanceloet!

The only problem I see with this is you loose your main ASW weapon and OTH targeting capability.

[Profile] [Quote]
ghost792
Post subject: Re: perry: ASuW modificationPosted: March 17th, 2012, 2:17 am
The Mk 13 can already launch Harpoon, so I'm not sure it's worth losing the flight deck for more of them. Is there a way to keep a helicopter capability and add Tomahawks? Maybe switch the hanger to a single-bay, centerline version, with two VLSs on either side (inverted Burke IIA arrangement).

[Profile] [Quote]
Clonecommander6454
Post subject: Re: perry: ASuW modificationPosted: March 17th, 2012, 2:41 am
I'll recommend changing one Helicopter Hanger into VLS for Tomahawks and installing harpoons in where the Taiwanese Ship did (Behind SPS-49).

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: perry: ASuW modificationPosted: March 17th, 2012, 9:42 am
maybe you should look which forum this is in. never build! I cannot change it for something like that, as I have not invented this concept, only drawn it.
that said
first of all, this is supposed to be an easy modification with large firepower. the hangars were used for harpoon reloads. there seems to have been an 'structure modification' that would maybe have done something like clonecommander says.... but no refs for that.

[Profile] [Quote]
ghost792
Post subject: Re: perry: ASuW modificationPosted: March 18th, 2012, 12:30 am
acelanceloet wrote:
maybe you should look which forum this is in. never build! I cannot change it for something like that, as I have not invented this concept, only drawn it.
that said
first of all, this is supposed to be an easy modification with large firepower. the hangars were used for harpoon reloads. there seems to have been an 'structure modification' that would maybe have done something like clonecommander says.... but no refs for that.
Ah, yes, my apologies. Interesting that it was proposed to eliminate what is arguably the most import feature of the Perrys. Especially given that at the time of the article, only a handful of Perrys were in service.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 2  [ 12 posts ]  Return to “Never-Built Designs” | Go to page 1 2 »

Jump to: