Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 3 of 4  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 »
Portsmouth Bill
Post subject: Re: Proposed conversion of Majestic classPosted: October 26th, 2010, 7:58 am
Thanks chaps: I have to admit this isn't my favourite drawing; but here is the sketch from Freidman's book to illustrate:

[ img ]

As you can see, the middle one is the best I can do, plus I had a nice drawing supplied by Colombamike, with details of radar fit etc. (so I'll check that again)

[ img ]

I could see a case for the Majestic conversion instead of the Girdle Ness; then there would be a double ended cruiser in service afterwards. But it is the overall design that I find odd. Notice that she has (still) the large sponson to accomodate the off-center bridge as an aircraft carrier, but here the superstructure is supposed to be centre-line. And the placement of the superstructure doesn't seem to make best use of available deck space. Even with two Seaslug launchers there should be some means of providing a helicopter facility beyond the mere spot on the stern. She also has two 901's, compared to the four i got onto the cut-down design above; but then, adding more of these only increases the top load. And, in contrast to the US designs this is still based on a high sided carrier hull, so the centre of gravity becomes a real problem when we add on more abobe the deck.

I will try tweaking the design, but this may be as far as it goes. BTW, did you notice my Seaslug triple launcher? Not yet 100%, but I've had to do the best I can from poor drawings and pictures. Also, I'll also need to factor in Blueslug, but again, no drawings, but I understand it was similar to Seaslug, but with a more blunt front.

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: Proposed conversion of Majestic classPosted: October 27th, 2010, 12:58 pm
Note that both Boston and Canberra (CAG-1 and CAG-2) were (re)commissioned with only two missile fire control channels. That's with 144 Terriers below decks!

[Profile] [Quote]
Portsmouth Bill
Post subject: Re: Proposed conversion of Majestic classPosted: October 27th, 2010, 4:50 pm
Thanks Erik; I'm being over-ambitious, one channel each end will suffice.

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: Proposed conversion of Majestic classPosted: October 27th, 2010, 7:52 pm
Great work Bill.

One minor critique though, you should use the newer Type 901 I drew for the RN Parts sheet since the one you've used is from Unknown's work and is far removed from what it really looks like.

An interesting design although I agree about the poor use of space etc. Topweight is an issue but the superstructure isn't vastly bigger than the original island and ballasting could be undertaken to compensate. Adding those 3in guns in those positions might be problematic too although I reckon the internal arrangement would be changed a lot.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
Portsmouth Bill
Post subject: Re: Proposed conversion of Majestic classPosted: October 27th, 2010, 8:56 pm
Thanks for the feedback; I haven't had time to change the 901 yet, but here is a (very much wip) update, to see what I could make of the design; probably committed loads of errors but (IMHO) it can't be worse:

[ img ]

Forget about the pixelling errors, what I'm interested in is if it would work. I've cut down the top weight considerably, and allowed for on-board helicopters with hangar. And, like the actual Majestic's she has one funnel. As I conceive it, this design is a trial for the Seaslug/Blueslug, and then would serve as a Flagship in the Mediterenean.

[Profile] [Quote]
Novice
Post subject: Re: Proposed conversion of Majestic classPosted: October 28th, 2010, 7:48 am
Now it looks much better IMHO. As Hood pointed out the Type 901 needs replacing. I also like the look of Blue-Slug.

"Never fear to try on something new. Remember that the Titanic was built by professionals, and the Ark by an amateur"

[Profile] [Quote]
Portsmouth Bill
Post subject: Re: Proposed conversion of Majestic classPosted: October 28th, 2010, 10:25 am
Thanks :) I look on this project a bit like a one of those dates, when halfway through you realise it probably won't lead to anything; but having invested in a dinner and some drinks you reckon its worth staying in - 'just in case' :lol:

Re the Blueslug; well, I thought if I coloured it blue, at least it will set it apart ;) And why did the Pom's invent those gawd-awful names? I mean, the USN had Talos and Terrier - they had Seaslug and Blueslug and Orange Nell :roll: I tried googling Blueslug, and I actually got lots on blue slugs, but bugger-all on the actual missile.

On a more cheerful note: I've begun the Neptune :D

[Profile] [Quote]
Portsmouth Bill
Post subject: Re: Proposed conversion of Majestic classPosted: October 28th, 2010, 10:33 am
To answer my own question:

http://wapedia.mobi/en/Rainbow_Codes

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Proposed conversion of Majestic classPosted: October 28th, 2010, 10:33 am
well, they had a reason for it :D
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rainbow_Codes
EDIT: :D haha :D same idea :D

[Profile] [Quote]
Bombhead
Post subject: Re: Proposed conversion of Majestic classPosted: October 28th, 2010, 3:37 pm
PB
Apparently Neptunes were to be named Minotaur,Edgar,Mars,Centurion and Bellerophon. ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 3 of 4  [ 36 posts ]  Return to “Never-Built Designs” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 »

Jump to: