Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 21 of 23  [ 223 posts ]  Go to page « 1 … 19 20 21 22 23 »
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: USA - Montana Class BattleshipPosted: June 18th, 2014, 7:37 pm
Colosseum wrote:
A new version of the CXAM would be great. I think Timothy had some schematics for it... would be useful if he could repost them here.
I have XAF, of which CXAM was a simplified version.

Image 1
Image 2.

[Profile] [Quote]
BB1987
Post subject: Re: USA - Montana Class BattleshipPosted: June 18th, 2014, 7:59 pm
TimothyC wrote:
Colosseum wrote:
A new version of the CXAM would be great. I think Timothy had some schematics for it... would be useful if he could repost them here.
I have XAF, of which CXAM was a simplified version.

Image 1
Image 2.

Anyway, according to the text in your second picture, XAF and CXAM are the very same radar, is CXAM-1 (recently redrawn by Colo) that is a simplified version.

-Koko Kyouwakoku (Republic of Koko)
-Koko's carrier-based aircrafts of WWII
-Koko Kaiun Yuso Kaisha - KoKaYu Line (Koko AU spinoff)
-Koko - Civil Aviation

[Profile] [Quote]
Karle94
Post subject: Re: USA - Montana Class BattleshipPosted: June 18th, 2014, 8:45 pm
The CXAM was the prototype radar that incorporated the good things from the XAM and CXZ. The CXAM-1 was the radar that entered service, and as such, it is logical for it to be the simplified version. I am not quite sure, you shoud ask Colo or wait for him to drop in.

[Profile] [Quote]
BB1987
Post subject: Re: USA - Montana Class BattleshipPosted: June 18th, 2014, 11:01 pm
Well, meanwhile here is my attempt on the XAF/CXAM with various variants to choose from. Only one to be retained as the "definitive" one after evaluation.
[ img ]
I've included the pedestals based on both Timothy's pic and the USS Northampton's one (can be found on Wikipedia's article about the CXAM).

-Koko - Civil Aviation

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: USA - Montana Class BattleshipPosted: June 18th, 2014, 11:43 pm
I quite like that - excellent job. I prefer the lighter version with extra details personally.

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: USA - Montana Class BattleshipPosted: June 19th, 2014, 1:33 am
I concur, although a pixel (upper right) seem missing from the truss-frame.

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: USA - Montana Class BattleshipPosted: June 19th, 2014, 3:01 am
Splendid work BB.
BB1987 wrote:
Anyway, according to the text in your second picture, XAF and CXAM are the very same radar, is CXAM-1 (recently redrawn by Colo) that is a simplified version.
Well, the full text says that CXAM was a re-engineered version. I'm sorry - I forgot I had this image, or I would have shared it earlier. Also, I wouldn't trust the pedestal in my picture to be accurate relative to what was installed on ships. It struck me as very much a display mount.

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: USA - Montana Class BattleshipPosted: June 19th, 2014, 3:51 am
Here's my fool-around 1944 version. I used a Measure 32 camouflage design meant for the old CAs... though camo schemes were often adapted for different ships. I think the effect is decent. This isn't as "neat" of a drawing as I'd prefer (since I was modifying BB's work) but I think it came out alright.

Inspiration for this comes mainly from the photos of Iowa operating in the Pacific in 1943-1944.

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
BB1987
Post subject: Re: USA - Montana Class BattleshipPosted: June 19th, 2014, 10:56 am
erik_t wrote:
I concur, although a pixel (upper right) seem missing from the truss-frame.
Maybe I've jsut exaggerated the attention to detail, but in timothy's first pic it appears that the upper truss is not exactly symmetrical, there is a shorter frame in the middle and a slightly longer one on the upper right-corner.

@Colo: she looks slendid!

-Koko - Civil Aviation

[Profile] [Quote]
Wolfman
Post subject: Re: USA - Montana Class BattleshipPosted: June 19th, 2014, 2:25 pm
Looks good, Colo!

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 21 of 23  [ 223 posts ]  Return to β€œNever-Built Designs” | Go to page « 1 … 19 20 21 22 23 »

Jump to: