Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 20 of 23  [ 223 posts ]  Go to page « 118 19 20 21 22 23 »
BB1987
Post subject: Re: USA - Montana Class BattleshipPosted: June 17th, 2014, 7:01 pm
Colosseum wrote:
One thing to note is that the sky lookout chair and target designators are "mid-war" inventions that generally seem to come about in 1943 (though I could be (and usually am) very wrong about this).
I saw them on the 1942 North Carolina/Washington drawings, so I thought it would have been ok to feature them on their thirs successors, even on the earlier fits.
Colosseum wrote:
Re: constantly changing parts sheets, I haven't "changed" any of the parts on it for a while - I've only been adding new stuff. ;)
I admit I was deliberatley exaggerating thins a bit just for the purpose of making a joke :lol: . Still, I suppose that some of the new stuff you've added recently might need to be added to the 1945 drawing. ;)
Colosseum wrote:
Re: colombamike's suggestions - they are just suggestions. You obviously aren't required to draw everything he wants. ;)
I know it well, the point is that I want to check if, and in case which of, the aforementioned suggestions are correct, and eventually which are not. If something proves to be correct it is the better for the drawing to show it, for example, it is undeniable that Mike has a very good eye for smaller details and AA-guns.

Well, here are all the USS Montana drawings so far...

BB-65, Scheme 3 (1940) - early WIP (lacks light AA and boat complement with crane)
[ img ]

BB-65, Scheme 4 (1940) - advanced WIP (lacks light AA and minor details)
[ img ]

BB-65, Scheme 8 (1940) - advanced WIP (lacks minor details)
[ img ]
Interestingly, the Scheme 8 Montana is by far the largest warship based on actual plans i've ever drawn here on the bucket.

BB-67, 1940-41 fit. (finalized design) - tentatively completed.
[ img ]

BB-67, 1942 fit. (as approved and ordered) - tentatively completed.
[ img ]

BB-67, 1942-43 fit. (last configuration as canceled) - tentatively completed.
[ img ]

BB-67, 1945 (early completion date) - tentatively completed.
[ img ]

BB-67, 1948 (late completion date) - tentatively completed, except for the outdated SR-2 radar soon to be replaced thanks to Erik_t.
[ img ]

Mike, rest assured that I've not ditched part of your suggestions without pondering on them, I had my reasons for doing so. I can explain you, if you want.

Here is an extra, the 1940/41 fit with Measure 1 camouflage.
[ img ]

-Koko Kyouwakoku (Republic of Koko)
-Koko's carrier-based aircrafts of WWII
-Koko Kaiun Yuso Kaisha - KoKaYu Line (Koko AU spinoff)
-Koko - Civil Aviation

Last edited by BB1987 on June 18th, 2014, 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
emperor_andreas
Post subject: Re: USA - Montana Class BattleshipPosted: June 17th, 2014, 7:28 pm
Very nice work!

The Official IJN Ships & Planes List

#FJB

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: USA - Montana Class BattleshipPosted: June 17th, 2014, 9:40 pm
Quote:
I saw them on the 1942 North Carolina/Washington drawings, so I thought it would have been ok to feature them on their thirs successors, even on the earlier fits.
Naturally finding information on "when" the Mk.1 Mod.1 target designator would have been installed is next to impossible. My plans of BB-55 in 1942 do NOT show the target designators (at any position), and I had always sort of believed they were a mid-to-late war appearance. The presence of the sky lookout chair is probably fine, but I'm just not sure about the target designators... when in doubt I just don't show things.
Quote:
I admit I was deliberatley exaggerating thins a bit just for the purpose of making a joke :lol: . Still, I suppose that some of the new stuff you've added recently might need to be added to the 1945 drawing. ;)
Yes of course. ;) :P I'll make a Colombamike sheet later for the proper locations for some of the RCM gear etc if you want.

[Profile] [Quote]
BB1987
Post subject: Re: USA - Montana Class BattleshipPosted: June 17th, 2014, 9:54 pm
Colosseum wrote:
The presence of the sky lookout chair is probably fine, but I'm just not sure about the target designators... when in doubt I just don't show things.
I'll remove the target designator from all the pre-1942 drawings then, it will be a quick and easy job.
Colosseum wrote:
I'll make a Colombamike sheet later for the proper locations for some of the RCM gear etc if you want.

-Koko - Civil Aviation

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: USA - Montana Class BattleshipPosted: June 17th, 2014, 10:41 pm
Here's the RCM fit suggestions: [ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
ghost792
Post subject: Re: USA - Montana Class BattleshipPosted: June 18th, 2014, 12:38 am
The Montana sure looks mean in Measure 1.

[Profile] [Quote]
maomatic
Post subject: Re: USA - Montana Class BattleshipPosted: June 18th, 2014, 4:40 pm
Outstanding work on this American behemoth!
A very interesting and informative thread.

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: USA - Montana Class BattleshipPosted: June 18th, 2014, 6:36 pm
Once I get home tonight, going to spend some time creating my own "1944" version with camouflage etc. I can't resist the temptation! :P

[Profile] [Quote]
BB1987
Post subject: Re: USA - Montana Class BattleshipPosted: June 18th, 2014, 7:03 pm
Colosseum wrote:
Once I get home tonight, going to spend some time creating my own "1944" version with camouflage etc. I can't resist the temptation! :P
You'll do the right thing. :D

I've updated the 1941-to-1945 drawings implementing the changes discussed previously (no target indicators in 1941 and RCM on 1945, with minor fixes here and there), so they are all up-to-date.
I'll do the same with the 1940s preliminar designs once placed the missing boats and other things (I may try drawing the earlier CXAM radar, if I ever found sources for it.....), right now i'm adding some extra details to the 1948 one by scrolling through pictures (apparently, I need to put back the floater bin nets and some life rafts).

-Koko - Civil Aviation

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: USA - Montana Class BattleshipPosted: June 18th, 2014, 7:19 pm
A new version of the CXAM would be great. I think Timothy had some schematics for it... would be useful if he could repost them here.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 20 of 23  [ 223 posts ]  Return to “Never-Built Designs” | Go to page « 118 19 20 21 22 23 »

Jump to: