Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 4 of 7  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 »
Hood
Post subject: Re: HMS Incomparable: Jackie Fishers 6 20 inch gun battlecruPosted: September 21st, 2014, 8:56 am
Nice work Nigel.

I hate to think what the blast effects of those 20inch guns would be. Certainly any of those 4in and 5.5in mounts near B and Y turrets could not be manned when those things were let loose. Impressive ships but certainly at the limits of practicality.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
Colombamike
Post subject: Re: HMS Incomparable: Jackie Fishers 6 20 inch gun battlecruPosted: September 21st, 2014, 9:23 am
Hood wrote:
I hate to think what the blast effects of those 20inch guns would be
I totally agree Hood
The blast-firing of the 20" guns is such that, I think over time (after only few dozens of rounds fired, even only few rounds ?), the (too thin, fragile & unarmored) too long hull suffered irreparable damage :geek: :shock:

No need to enemy action to sink this ship
After only few 20" shots fired, it would have been too damaged to sail :mrgreen:

[Profile] [Quote]
Krakatoa
Post subject: Re: HMS Incomparable: Jackie Fishers 6 20 inch gun battlecruPosted: September 21st, 2014, 11:05 am
I totally agree, the blast affects of the 20" would blow things over the side. The only saviour might be the extent that the barrels extend out over water. There would certainly have to be stops in place to not allow the guns to fire in certain directions that would damage the ship.

That has not stopped me finishing the series with a 1941 version of Incomparable.

[ img ]

Last edited by Krakatoa on January 29th, 2015, 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: HMS Incomparable: Jackie Fishers 6 20 inch gun battlecruPosted: September 21st, 2014, 12:02 pm
I bet that by 1941, they would have removed those rafts/lifeboats on the forward deck, or most equipment in a radius of the guns, since every time they fire...

[Profile] [Quote]
emperor_andreas
Post subject: Re: HMS Incomparable: Jackie Fishers 6 20 inch gun battlecruPosted: September 21st, 2014, 4:12 pm
She would've been a beautiful ship, and would've caused Lutjens to think twice about trying to break out through the Denmark Strait!

The Official IJN Ships & Planes List

#FJB

[Profile] [Quote]
MihoshiK
Post subject: Re: HMS Incomparable: Jackie Fishers 6 20 inch gun battlecruPosted: September 23rd, 2014, 8:02 pm
If build it could very well have been the biggest white elephant ever, a ship with guns so powerful it could destroy itself in a fight, but my God, she would have been amazingly beautiful.

[Profile] [Quote]
JSB
Post subject: Re: HMS Incomparable: Jackie Fishers 6 20 inch gun battlecruPosted: September 23rd, 2014, 9:51 pm
She looks very nice,

I have a silly question ?

If she was built or building) when the WNT came in and limited everybody to 16inch guns (as OTL) how many could you fit in a 20 inch barbet ? (I.e. could she be completed with triple or quad 16 inch guns ? )

JSB

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: HMS Incomparable: Jackie Fishers 6 20 inch gun battlecruPosted: September 23rd, 2014, 10:16 pm
I'll bet on triple turrets and add-on extra ammo

[Profile] [Quote]
nighthunter
Post subject: Re: HMS Incomparable: Jackie Fishers 6 20 inch gun battlecruPosted: September 24th, 2014, 7:55 pm
I would suggest 3 quad 16in turrets, add armor to the decking to at least match the Hood, and most likely, if she was fast enough, she would have been sent with the Hood to go after the Bismark.

[Profile] [Quote]
steve4866
Post subject: Re: HMS Incomparable: Jackie Fishers 6 20 inch gun battlecruPosted: September 25th, 2014, 6:34 am
While I will admit that there is something to be said for increasing the caliber of the main armament, the only things that those type of ships are good for are "cruiser killers", and commerce raiders. If a ship with any armament larger than a 6 inch gun gets near her, the Incomparable stands a good chance of getting knocked around pretty good. Speed isn't always the best protection.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 4 of 7  [ 64 posts ]  Return to “Never-Built Designs” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 »

Jump to: