Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 5 of 7  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page « 13 4 5 6 7 »
Karle94
Post subject: Re: HMS Incomparable: Jackie Fishers 6 20 inch gun battlecruPosted: September 25th, 2014, 12:42 pm
Historically speaking the idea speed as armor was a failiure. Speed never saved the battlecruisers from the batleships. Jutland and the battle with Bismarck proved that.

[Profile] [Quote]
steve4866
Post subject: Re: HMS Incomparable: Jackie Fishers 6 20 inch gun battlecruPosted: September 25th, 2014, 2:38 pm
The schematic is very nicely done. I bet the bet the end result will be the same thing that happened to her 3 cousins though. She will get turned into an aircraft carrier, and her guns will be mounted on fire support ships like monitors. I have a question however, what kind of programs are you using to draw with? I have nothing to draw with, and have ideas I would really like to post.

[Profile] [Quote]
apdsmith
Post subject: Re: HMS Incomparable: Jackie Fishers 6 20 inch gun battlecruPosted: September 26th, 2014, 4:25 pm
Hi Steve,

Most people here are using paint (which ships with Windows) or paint.net (URL: http://www.getpaint.net/download.html) - the whole point of the way stuff is drawn here is that you can draw with Paint if you want to.

Regards,
Adam

[Profile] [Quote]
seeker36340
Post subject: Re: HMS Incomparable: Jackie Fishers 6 20 inch gun battlecruPosted: September 26th, 2014, 8:31 pm
Not only a nice thread from a technical standpoint but also a nice display of naval architecture. Well done, all.

[Profile] [Quote]
Krakatoa
Post subject: Re: HMS Incomparable: Jackie Fishers 6 20 inch gun battlecruPosted: September 30th, 2014, 6:49 pm
A small update (until you see the size of the sheet) where I have added all of the drawings together on one sheet (on page 2), showing the progression from 1916 to 1941.

[Profile] [Quote]
Tempest
Post subject: Re: HMS Incomparable: Jackie Fishers 6 20 inch gun battlecruPosted: October 2nd, 2014, 6:21 pm
What a sexy beast! If only she was built.

German Capital Ship Projects of The First World War

[Profile] [Quote]
Voyager989
Post subject: Re: HMS Incomparable: Jackie Fishers 6 20 inch gun battlecruPosted: October 13th, 2014, 7:34 am
I know this is something of a late comment, but on the 1941 version - the dashed horizontal line on a British post-1937 block style forward superstructure is an armor protected conning position, which should be at or above the top of 'B' turret to permit a clear line of sight forward for the men inside.

[Profile] [Quote]
Krakatoa
Post subject: Re: HMS Incomparable: Jackie Fishers 6 20 inch gun battlecruPosted: October 13th, 2014, 8:21 am
Well spotted Voyager989,

I quite agree, the twin 20" are so big that the armoured position would have to be higher as they did with the QE, Valiant and Warspite.

I have raised the armoured conning position as high as possible so that it would originally have just cleared the top of the turret, the fitting of an AA position on the turret top would obscure the view from that position.

[Profile] [Quote]
Voyager989
Post subject: Re: HMS Incomparable: Jackie Fishers 6 20 inch gun battlecruPosted: October 13th, 2014, 10:43 pm
Not a problem - if I recall correctly, the KGV's have that same issue with the 'B' turret pom-pom fouling the line of sight.

[Profile] [Quote]
steve4866
Post subject: Re: HMS Incomparable: Jackie Fishers 6 20 inch gun battlecruPosted: October 25th, 2014, 12:33 am
Hello all! I have enjoyed everyone's take on the Incomperable. I still have many reservations about the deployment of such a beast. First, in the line of battle she will be hounded by any cruiser with 6" guns or bigger. Those big clubs of hers can't swing and load too quick. Second, if any capital ship has more than 8 main guns and full armor suite, they will tear up her side and deck. The Roya Navy most likely cannot afford more than 2 of those beasts so an independent squadron moot. Sorry folks, I just see no use for her. The drawings are awsome though.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 5 of 7  [ 64 posts ]  Return to “Never-Built Designs” | Go to page « 13 4 5 6 7 »

Jump to: