Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 4 of 14  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 614 »
BB1987
Post subject: Re: Japan - Never built IJN ships.Posted: November 25th, 2012, 11:11 pm
Another round, The 1930 Fujimoto designs:

This warship was designed by Captain Fujimoto to replace the Fuso class Battleship, and like the one designed by Hiraga (planned to replace the Kongo class) plans to build her where canceld with the ratification of the london naval treaty in 1931.

The first design called for a treaty battleship armed with nine 16.1-inch (409mm) guns in three triple turrets, secondaries where composed by twelve 6-inch (152mm) guns in six twin turrets, unusally fitted outside the armour belt and (at least the forward turrets) protected with a shield from blast damage from the main guns; 4 twin 5-inch (127mm) AA guns mounted on sponsons at the fore and aft end of the superstructure completed the armament.
[ img ]

The second one increased the main guns to twelve 16.1-inch (409mm) guns and moved 4 of the 6 twin 6-inch (152mm) guns inside the armoured citadel; given the heavy armament and dimension, with lenght exceding 260 meters this design will almost certainly had broken treaty limits if built.
[ img ]

-Koko Kyouwakoku (Republic of Koko)
-Koko's carrier-based aircrafts of WWII
-Koko Kaiun Yuso Kaisha - KoKaYu Line (Koko AU spinoff)
-Koko - Civil Aviation

Last edited by BB1987 on November 25th, 2012, 11:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
emperor_andreas
Post subject: Re: Japan - Never built IJN ships.Posted: November 25th, 2012, 11:14 pm
Love them...great work!

The Official IJN Ships & Planes List

#FJB

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: Japan - Never built IJN ships.Posted: November 25th, 2012, 11:24 pm
One can't help but wonder just how effective those five inch guns would have been.
Nice drawing of a most unusual ship though

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
denodon
Post subject: Re: Japan - Never built IJN ships.Posted: November 27th, 2012, 1:28 am
Very unusual designs but also quite interesting. Kinda reminds me of the phrase in user experience design; designers aren't users, users aren't designers

Also those breakwaters forward are massive!

[Profile] [Quote]
ALVAMA
Post subject: Re: Japan - Never built IJN ships.Posted: November 27th, 2012, 6:13 am
Awesome work, BB1987!

[Quote]
BB1987
Post subject: Re: Japan - Never built IJN ships.Posted: November 27th, 2012, 11:28 am
denodon wrote:
Also those breakwaters forward are massive!
Actually those where not breakwaters but shields to protect the forward 6-inch guns from blast damage from the 16.1-inch guns. (don't know why there was no such thing aft tough...)

-Koko Kyouwakoku (Republic of Koko)
-Koko's carrier-based aircrafts of WWII
-Koko Kaiun Yuso Kaisha - KoKaYu Line (Koko AU spinoff)
-Koko - Civil Aviation

[Profile] [Quote]
denodon
Post subject: Re: Japan - Never built IJN ships.Posted: November 27th, 2012, 11:39 am
Ah I see. Rather interesting design decision in that case.

[Profile] [Quote]
seeker36340
Post subject: Re: Japan - Never built IJN ships.Posted: November 30th, 2012, 2:57 am
Splendid drawings but what about stability with those short hulls compared to the superstructure?

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Japan - Never built IJN ships.Posted: November 30th, 2012, 7:07 am
length has almost nothing to do with stability.

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: Japan - Never built IJN ships.Posted: December 1st, 2012, 6:45 am
The IJN certainly entertained some entertaining ideas, if nothing else. One wonders about an exploding 6" magazine in service.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 4 of 14  [ 132 posts ]  Return to “Never-Built Designs” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 614 »

Jump to: