Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 2  [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 »
acelanceloet
Post subject: COEA concept 3C3: Foam TankerPosted: January 30th, 2013, 12:11 pm
[ img ]

this 'concept' was one of the more exotic ideas of the COEA group. critics of conventional warships often said that the best way to ensure survivability would be to take an really big hull and fill it with bouyancy material. that was exactly what concept 3C3 was, an armed supertanker. the original plan was to use the massive supertanker hull for VLS and helicopter spots. the version illustrated is essentially four FMLAC superstructures build on top of an massive hull. each has a 5''/62 gun with an Mk 48 Sea Sparrow launcher alongside it. apart from electric motor drive rooms and foam, the hull is empty. Electric drive made it possible to put the gas turbines themselves in the superstructures. clearly the design shown was not altogether serious, since all four superstructure elements are identical and therefore quite redundant. however, the design does make the point that a very large hull would permit sufficient redundancy that the ship would probably survive multiple missile hits, either in the hull or in some of the superstructure elements.

an real ship based on this concept would thus have VLS in the hull. this design is not to be taken as an design, but as an starting point, from what an effective warship could be developed.

concept and information from friedman's US destroyers.

my own notes on the design are these though:
- if you have such an huge displacement and volume available, why use gas turbines? diesels could make the structure much smaller (due to putting the engines below it) and the fuel economy much better.
- very stealthy structures on that complete brick of an hull? :P
- the split bridges are an quite bad idea
- I would not recommend landing an helicopter next to the middle 2 structures, wind is gonna be mad out there.

Last edited by acelanceloet on February 1st, 2013, 11:33 am, edited 2 times in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: COEA concept 3C3: Foam TankerPosted: January 30th, 2013, 9:04 pm
Having seen the original drawing, she's not as ugly as I had expected! She's also certainly got redundancy

[Profile] [Quote]
HugTugTheThug
Post subject: Re: COEA concept 3C3: Foam TankerPosted: January 30th, 2013, 9:21 pm
They would have saved a lot of time if they had just decided to turn this
[ img ]

into this:
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Cybermax
Post subject: Re: COEA concept 3C3: Foam TankerPosted: January 30th, 2013, 9:59 pm
One might mistaken this as something from Nation States but it is a serious design and good drawing too!

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: COEA concept 3C3: Foam TankerPosted: January 30th, 2013, 10:56 pm
Certainly weird, but also very original. Great work! :)

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: COEA concept 3C3: Foam TankerPosted: January 31st, 2013, 7:36 pm
thanks guys. I would not consider it too serious, though, nobody would ever build an ship like this in the real world, especially not with 4 identical structures.

I would love to see somebody go overboard with it though, modifying the ship to something that could have actually been build, while keeping the high redundancy and damage resistance possibilities of this design. any takers? :P

[Profile] [Quote]
Raxar
Post subject: Re: COEA concept 3C3: Foam TankerPosted: January 31st, 2013, 8:36 pm
acelanceloet wrote:
I would love to see somebody go overboard with it though, modifying the ship to something that could have actually been build, while keeping the high redundancy and damage resistance possibilities of this design. any takers? :P
Sounds like another drawing challenge, I may have a go.

"If people never did silly things nothing intelligent would ever get done." ~Ludwig Wittgenstein

[Profile] [Quote]
klagldsf
Post subject: Re: COEA concept 3C3: Foam TankerPosted: February 1st, 2013, 1:36 am
I'm kind of wondering what's the point of four 5/45s and only NSSM capability, or would this have been akin to an ASW carrier?

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: COEA concept 3C3: Foam TankerPosted: February 1st, 2013, 11:26 am
klagldsf wrote:
I'm kind of wondering what's the point of four 5/45s and only NSSM capability, or would this have been akin to an ASW carrier?
completed the description of the file which, I belief, answers your question :P

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: COEA concept 3C3: Foam TankerPosted: February 1st, 2013, 12:45 pm
So, where does the fuel go?
Or the crew for that matter?

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 2  [ 11 posts ]  Return to “Never-Built Designs” | Go to page 1 2 »

Jump to: