Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 2 of 3  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 »
Gollevainen
Post subject: Re: Unbuilt Projects of the Polish NavyPosted: July 4th, 2013, 1:03 pm
well I don't read polish so, its like greek to me ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
Rhade
Post subject: Re: Unbuilt Projects of the Polish NavyPosted: July 4th, 2013, 2:36 pm
Like this one ?
eswube wrote:
Stocznia Marynarki Wojennej (Naval Shipyard) in Gdynia
and
eswube wrote:
Stocznia Północna (Northern Shipyard) from Gdańsk
Onle here in description you have Polish words and translation.

[Profile] [Quote]
Gollevainen
Post subject: Re: Unbuilt Projects of the Polish NavyPosted: July 4th, 2013, 5:50 pm
No no, no... I meant that I've seen these designs plenty of time in elsewhere (like in my big collection of polish naval magazines and some internet sites) and descriptions and stories (if there even have been ones) have always been in Polish - this thread is the first time for me to get change to see part of them translated

[Profile] [Quote]
Bombhead
Post subject: Re: Unbuilt Projects of the Polish NavyPosted: July 4th, 2013, 6:08 pm
Great work eswube. 8-)

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Unbuilt Projects of the Polish NavyPosted: July 7th, 2013, 9:43 am
Thank You all for comments! :)

And to continue with unbuilt landing ships of the last three decades...

Experiences gathered during the early service of ORP Kontradmirał X. Czernicki led Polish Navy to conclude that introduction of more capable logistical support ships is indispensable for any expeditionary operations the service may undertake in the future. Because at that time (late 1990s, early 2000s) leadership of the Polish Navy suffered from apparent delusions of grandeur (regarding navy's development plans) and significant problems with math (regarding what they could afford on the budget they have), they concluded that Polish Navy needs 4 to 6 such ships in the 10000t category.

Responding to these needs, in 2002 Stocznia Północna (Northern Shipyard and design bureau Naval Engineering Design (NED) presented the design of the "Uniwersalny Transportowiec Logistyczny" (UTL, Universal Logistic Transporter) - Ro-Ro ship with length of 125m, 18,6m width, 7m draught and 9100t of displacement (incl. 4100t of load). Two main engines were to give power of 6000kW and maximum speed 20 knots. It was to be capable to carry up to 20 T-72/PT-91 tanks or 30 14t trucks. Additionaly it was to have two landing pads and a hangar, connected through a lift with the transport deck, allowing to carry up to 7 helicopters of the W-3 class (though probably not more than 4 of the Mi-8/-17 class). Despite the Navy's enthusiasm, Ministerstwo Obrony Narodowej (MON, Ministry of the National Defence), General Staff and Komitet Badań Naukowych (KBN, Scientific Research Committee) were highly skeptical (both about the need for 4-6 such ships, and about wether we can afford them at all) and eventually no funding was allocated.

[ img ]

Navy, shipyard and NED were not discouraged and year later a project of even larger ship was presented. New ship was to be of Ro-Pax configuration, 150m long, 24m wide, with full displacement of 15000t (incl. 7000t of load), with maximum speed of 25kts. This design did not proceed any further as well.
Note: because the available pictures show only preliminary concept of the ship and are generally very vague (essentially they were meant to show "concept for a concept of a project"), I decided to brand this drawing as "Work in Progress", but actually I'm not planning to progress it any further.

[ img ]

Last edited by eswube on January 11th, 2015, 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
DG_Alpha
Post subject: Re: Unbuilt Projects of the Polish NavyPosted: July 7th, 2013, 9:57 am
Those are some really nice looking supply ships. I have to say, I like the first one better, maybe because there are more details. I know you have very little information on the second one, but maybe you can expand to the best of your knowledge and expirience and make it a personal design?

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Unbuilt Projects of the Polish NavyPosted: July 7th, 2013, 10:07 am
I suggest looking at real world vessels of the same type, size and role, and fill in the details yourself. while maybe not entirely accurate to the ship that would have been build, that way it may very likely have been accurate to the ship that could have been build. this would IMO still qualify as an vessel for the never build section of the main site ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
Frankiewicz
Post subject: Re: Unbuilt Projects of the Polish NavyPosted: July 7th, 2013, 12:06 pm
Bravo eswube.
My vision UTL made ​​for "fun" in 2011 and 2012 with a ready-made drawings from the www.shipbucket.com.

http://s208.photobucket.com/user/Franki ... t=6&page=1

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Unbuilt Projects of the Polish NavyPosted: August 18th, 2013, 8:49 pm
In 1936 Polish naval authorities decided to strenghten the fleet with small torpedo/gun fast attack craft termed as chasers (sing. ścigacz, plur. ścigacze). They were (reasonably) perceived as very useful vessels in the confines of our-then coastline (which was much shorter than it is now - barely 150km including Hel peninsula), especially Gulf of Gdańsk.

Most interesting (and ahead of it's times) offer was presented by Towarzystwo Techniczno-Handlowe "Polski Diesel" (Trade-Technical Company "Polish Diesel") on behalf of Aktiengesellschaft Gebruder Sachsenberg from Dessau, Germany. It was a design of "of original speed torpedo boat on lift wings" - or in today's words, a small torpedo hydrofoil.
It's planned length was 14,45m (without torpedo launchers), beam 5m, draught during stop 0,8m, displacement 15t, speed of 40 knots (with Mercedes BF2 engine of max. power 800hp). Armament: 2 x 450mm torpedo launchers, 1 machine guns, 2 depth charges. Hull was to be made with significant content of light alloys and with welding as primary means of joining.
Offer was met with significant interest from Polish side, despite full understanding that it would need significant R&D effort, but eventually it didn't led to a contract, although reasons aren't fully known due to incomplete sources. On a note, it should be mentioned that due to average hydrometeorological conditions on Gulf of Gdańsk usefulness of such tiny hydrofoils could be disputable for most of the year, which was probably one of main reasons for dropping of that project.

[ img ]

Eventually Polish Navy opted in 1938 for more conventional design from British shipyard S. White, Cowes. Two ships (with plans for 5 altogether) were ordered. Their standard displacement was to be 39,1t, total length 22,86m, beam 5,08m, speed 42 knots with 3 Isotta-Fraschini ASM183D engines (1150 hp each). Planned armament: 2 x 533mm torpedo tubes (of Polish design), 1 x 40mm Bofors gun, 1 x twin AA machine gun and up to 6 depth charges.
These ships were ultimately built, but outbreak of war in 1939 led to significant design changes.

[ img ]

Last edited by eswube on January 11th, 2015, 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: Unbuilt Projects of the Polish NavyPosted: August 19th, 2013, 7:36 am
Interesting designs. On the Whites design, was the 40mm in an aircraft turret or was it bespoke for a 40mm?
Other British MTBs etc. used some aircraft turrets with MGs but nothing that big.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 2 of 3  [ 27 posts ]  Return to “Never-Built Designs” | Go to page « 1 2 3 »

Jump to: