Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 12 of 16  [ 153 posts ]  Go to page « 110 11 12 13 1416 »
Hood
Post subject: Re: Project DXPosted: October 20th, 2015, 12:53 pm
I would guess to go for an early 1980s colour scheme, the grey and low-viz on the Seahawk from that time would be a good fit.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: Project DXPosted: October 20th, 2015, 2:08 pm
Krakatoa wrote:
Thanks for the info on the propulsion/speed question Ace/TJ. The other inquiry I had was for what usage the air capable Spruance's would have been designed for? (I went and re-read the page 1 info but that question was not covered.)
The designs can only really be evaluated in the context of the era. In the late 1970s the small carrier (Sea Control Ship / Vertical Support Ship) designs died in the face of political pressure to keep the number of flat-deck hulls down. As a result, the need for indigenous air cover over smaller groups (convoys and surface action groups) still existed, but there was no small carrier to fill the roll.

Meanwhile, even after the SCS/VSS programs had died, the Type-A (Support/Multimission) and Type-B (Fighter) VTOL programs were still ongoing (somewhat). The Type-B program had suffered a major setback with the failure of the XFV-12. This failure however was mitigated by the fact that for most of the open-ocean missions, you don't need a dogfighter, you need an aircraft that can fly out and shoot down Tupolevs at long range. While this increased the number of missions that the Type-A airframe (At this point Grumman, Lockheed, and LTV were all proposing turbofan powered aircraft, while Bell-Boeing was showing off Tiltrotor technology, and would eventually win) would have to support, it didn't increase the size of the platform (anything that is flying several hundred nautical miles to launch Harpoons can do the same with Sparrows and AMRAAMs). The program died a slow death with the Lehman era buildup of the USN, and the eventual selection of the V-22 as the Type-A aircraft.

The Ghiradella design is something else entirely. While the Santa Fe, Adams & Rains (not re-rendered yet), and the DGV were all designed with shipyard input, the Ghiradella design was not. It was simply the effort of a Reserve commander to develop an American Invincible on a preexisting hull.

None of the above designs are related to the CSGN Mk 2 which was, as has been noted before, an attempt to develop a strategic platform capable of threatening anything within a 1000+ nmi range, while being very hard to kill without a swarm attack.

[Profile] [Quote]
Krakatoa
Post subject: Re: Project DXPosted: October 20th, 2015, 6:48 pm
Thanks for that TJ, if the air-Spruance's were to be a US Invincible type then I can see the use that can be made of them. I have seen lots of photos of NATO exercises with a US Carrier Battlegroup, the Nuclear carrier providing the strike functions and area defence while the Invincible provides the ASW support to the group. There has always been the possibility that the UK Invincible's could disappear under some budget cut. At which stage an air capable Spruance would be a quick fix to replace them and their roles. I remember reading several scenarios for the cold war era (70's-80's) where if the USSR went into Germany, the US response would have to transport its heavy weapons by sea, which required complete seapower to get the convoy through. The role of Invincible/Air-Spruance is central to getting those ships across. Sorry if this discussion is outside Project DX. Tell me and I will/you will open a new thread. It is very easy to look at a design and say 'that looks nice' without having any understanding of the various roles that a ship may be designed to fulfil.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Project DXPosted: October 20th, 2015, 6:54 pm
to add what TJ posted above, the first post does not yet cover these as only the ghiradella design (which was an answer to the flight deck spruance designs) and the DGV (which was related but not entirely the same) are in the first post as of now, when I add the above drawing and the last (the adams & rains design) I will update the first post with the information. the lack of it is because I draw what I feel like drawing without any good order at the moment :P

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Project DXPosted: October 21st, 2015, 7:25 pm
Very interesting - both the drawings and the discussion that followed. :)

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Project DXPosted: November 28th, 2015, 11:47 am
[ img ]
the last of the flight deck spruance designs! I will try to update the post on the first page with the full history soon ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
BB1987
Post subject: Re: Project DXPosted: November 28th, 2015, 12:00 pm
Nice drawing! and a pretty unique design.

-Koko Kyouwakoku (Republic of Koko)
-Koko's carrier-based aircrafts of WWII
-Koko Kaiun Yuso Kaisha - KoKaYu Line (Koko AU spinoff)
-Koko - Civil Aviation

[Profile] [Quote]
adenandy
Post subject: Re: Project DXPosted: November 28th, 2015, 12:12 pm
BB1987 wrote:
"...unique..."
That's ONE word for it :!:

Great drawing Ace. Well Done :D

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: Project DXPosted: November 28th, 2015, 2:25 pm
Does that VLS come out of the hull like that?

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Project DXPosted: November 28th, 2015, 2:28 pm
heuhen wrote:
Does that VLS come out of the hull like that?
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e42/M ... rrier2.jpg
yes, it does!

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 12 of 16  [ 153 posts ]  Return to “Never-Built Designs” | Go to page « 110 11 12 13 1416 »

Jump to: