Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 2  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 »
Ashley
Post subject: Carrier SMS AusoniaPosted: December 3rd, 2010, 11:42 am
The first 'real' german carrier was to be the SMS Ausonia, a former italian passengership. The name would surely have been changed, very little is known of the planned design. The building of the Ausonia was stopped at nov. 1918 when war was over, she was scrapped in 1922.
[ img ]
Does anybody have more details than 'german-navy.de'?

[Profile] [Quote]
ALVAMA
Post subject: Re: Carrier SMS AusoniaPosted: December 3rd, 2010, 1:52 pm
In home-libary, I got a paper with some info, I'll try to scan it for you. I know it's in Dutch though.

[Quote]
Novice
Post subject: Re: Carrier SMS AusoniaPosted: December 3rd, 2010, 9:01 pm
I Like that WIP banner, with the aircraft.
I also question the hull colors. As a never built design I know it's hard to come by detailed deawings and so the details on the submitted drawing suffers. Any way a nice start, and good job IMHO.

"Never fear to try on something new. Remember that the Titanic was built by professionals, and the Ark by an amateur"

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: Carrier SMS AusoniaPosted: December 4th, 2010, 10:25 am
Just checked the drawing in Groner's book.
Details are sketchy but I have a few points.
a) Those large sqaures coloured blue along the hull upper deck are probably not windows at all but ventilation hatches for the hangar
b) The thingy aft of the aftermost boats is a crane very similar to those carried on British carriers of the time to hoist seaplanes from the water.
c) The little platform on the forecastle should have the standard SB three pixel black-grey-black lines NOT a single line.
d) Need a black waterline single pixel wide as per all SB ships.
e) Not sure on the hull shade but then I'm no expert of German warship colours of 1918-19.
f) Cool aircraft (though I note my Camel has made an it aboard!) no idea what types it would have carried in service, probably standard seaplane types and some wheeled aircraft of standard type in use 1918.
g) Oddly no guns seem to have planned for this ship at all for self-defence.
h) Great work overall, nice to see this ship coming to fruition. All we need now is HMS Argus as her Allied eqivulent. In many ways the Ausonia seems a much more practical ship and a bigger leap than the British carriers before Argus and certainly for a first attempt the Germans did well with little experience.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
Ashley
Post subject: Update Carrier SMS AusoniaPosted: December 6th, 2010, 3:15 pm
A little update. The rusty color is my sign for 'WIP'. Crane for seaplanes installed, windows blown out, vents there instead.

[ img ]
Still fond some errors. Advices welcome!

[Profile] [Quote]
Colombamike
Post subject: Re: Update Carrier SMS AusoniaPosted: December 6th, 2010, 3:57 pm
Ashley wrote:
Advices welcome!
Yep, few comments:
- for a +/- large german ship expected to be commissioned by 1919, any AA light gun ? (light 7,92mm MG; 88 or 105mm guns), because in larger german units (cruisers/battleships/battlecruisers) of 1917+ era, it is usual to improve light AA guns.
- Any projectors ?
- Any improved protection (ie.adding anti-torpedoes bulges...)

[Profile] [Quote]
Novice
Post subject: Re: Carrier SMS AusoniaPosted: December 6th, 2010, 4:22 pm
Seems that the platform beneath the foreward flight-deck is still one pixel instead of three.
I'm not one to complain but that rusty color might offend our esteemed administrator ;)

"Never fear to try on something new. Remember that the Titanic was built by professionals, and the Ark by an amateur"

[Profile] [Quote]
Ashley
Post subject: Re: Update Carrier SMS AusoniaPosted: December 6th, 2010, 9:13 pm
Colombamike wrote:
Ashley wrote:
Advices welcome!
Yep, few comments:
- for a +/- large german ship expected to be commissioned by 1919, any AA light gun ? (light 7,92mm MG; 88 or 105mm guns), because in larger german units (cruisers/battleships/battlecruisers) of 1917+ era, it is usual to improve light AA guns.
- Any projectors ?
- Any improved protection (ie.adding anti-torpedoes bulges...)
While this is a 'Never built' a don't have those details by now. Give me a more detailed plan or drawing or (what is impossible thhis time) a photo and I'll add all I can identify. Hoping Alvama has got something for me.

I'll do a more evolved version at my AU. There you'll find all those details.

[Profile] [Quote]
Ashley
Post subject: Re: Carrier SMS AusoniaPosted: December 6th, 2010, 9:17 pm
ALVAMA wrote:
In home-libary, I got a paper with some info, I'll try to scan it for you. I know it's in Dutch though.
Dutch is no problem.

[Profile] [Quote]
Ashley
Post subject: Re: Carrier SMS AusoniaPosted: December 7th, 2010, 11:59 am
[ img ]
Ready until I've got more details.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 2  [ 18 posts ]  Return to “Never-Built Designs” | Go to page 1 2 »

Jump to: