Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 5 of 6  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 6 »
JSB
Post subject: Re: 1929 Pre-Leander Class Light CruisersPosted: November 8th, 2014, 10:10 pm
Is it just me or do your 6 inch turrets have different length barrels ? bow A and B turrets ? with B longer ?

Just noticed it when trying to work out how long my AU guns should be and through of copying yours ;)
( the guns on the part sheet look different between the XXI and XXII, I know they are twin and triple but should they be different lengths they are basically the same gun ? )

JSB

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: 1929 Pre-Leander Class Light CruisersPosted: November 9th, 2014, 4:04 pm
Whoops, that's a cut and paste error. Fixed now!

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
smurf
Post subject: Re: 1929 Pre-Leander Class Light CruisersPosted: November 9th, 2014, 8:18 pm
" the guns on the part sheet look different between the XXI and XXII, I know they are twin and triple but should they be different lengths"?
I haven't got drawings of the turrets to large enough scale to be sure, but it may be because in the triple turret the centre gun was mounted so that its muzzle was a little back from the outer two guns to avoid interactions between the shells when firing broadsides. Looking at an official as-fitted drawing of HMS Manchester printed reduced in British Warships of WWII, that seems to have been achieved by placing the outer guns well forward in the mount. In the twin turret that would not be necessary, so the guns would look shorter if both set back in the turret like Manchester's middle gun. The same book has a profile of HMS Ajax, and that looks to be so; but there is no plan view showing the position of the guns in the turret, so I can't be sure, and may be talking through my hat. The parts sheet would be right if I am, though.

[Profile] [Quote]
JSB
Post subject: Re: 1929 Pre-Leander Class Light CruisersPosted: November 9th, 2014, 9:00 pm
Hi Smurf,
The guns on the twin are longer then the triple on the part sheet, by 1 pixel if using the 'shoulder' (where it goes to 3 pixels deep) or by about 7 pixels by where it enters the turret ?
Is it that it was drawn using a plan of the set back centre gun ? (that should be hidden behind the others ? sorry don't have any plans so cant be sure.

Thanks JSB

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: 1929 Pre-Leander Class Light CruisersPosted: November 10th, 2014, 8:36 am
I think it is correct. I'm sure I'll scaled it off other drawings. If you look in photos the barrels are noticeably shorter in comparison, probably due to the way the guns were mounted in the triple turret.

Super-Darings

[Profile] [Quote]
smurf
Post subject: Re: 1929 Pre-Leander Class Light CruisersPosted: November 10th, 2014, 8:32 pm
You can see (just!) the arrangement of the three guns in Manchester's triple turrets. Couldn't find a pic of the turret itself.
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt ... 15&ndsp=19

[Profile] [Quote]
Novice
Post subject: Re: 1929 Pre-Leander Class Light CruisersPosted: November 10th, 2014, 10:08 pm
A good picture for the triple turret is here
[ img ]
From HMS Belfast, which any one from the UK can go and check for himself

"Never fear to try on something new. Remember that the Titanic was built by professionals, and the Ark by an amateur"

[Profile] [Quote]
smurf
Post subject: Re: 1929 Pre-Leander Class Light CruisersPosted: November 11th, 2014, 11:14 am
I had forgotten Belfast! I'm getting old.
From Ross Watten's excellent book HMS Belfast - full of detailed plans.

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
smurf
Post subject: Re: 1929 Pre-Leander Class Light CruisersPosted: November 11th, 2014, 11:22 am
Ooops! Sorry, I didn't expect that size.

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: 1929 Pre-Leander Class Light CruisersPosted: December 30th, 2014, 4:53 pm
This is my final work of 2014 and this completes a promise I made to smurf that I would draw one of the initial designs of the Leander Class as the type was entered into the 1929 Programme as the Type O. Two were to be built alongside a Surrey Class heavy cruiser (Type Y). I've used the plan smurf kindly supplied and fitted it out with as many of the real details and fittings of the Leander class for authenticity. The seaplane is a Hawker Osprey, carried aboard HMS Leander when commissioned.

[ img ]
1929 Programme Leander Class Design

Super-Darings

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 5 of 6  [ 57 posts ]  Return to “Never-Built Designs” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 6 »

Jump to: