Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 20 of 24  [ 231 posts ]  Go to page « 118 19 20 21 2224 »
Tempest
Post subject: Re: German Capital Ship Design Studies of The First World WaPosted: October 7th, 2016, 11:56 am
Thank you guys. Maomatic, Hood said the same thing. I thing think the gantry ends directly under the searchlight platform where a ladder could lead up to the searchlight. On the plans that I traced there's no extra supports. I'm not sure about the markings, I've been doing them that way for over 12 months haha.

Hood, the secondaries are a 150mm AA. As for the casemates location I'm not sure.

German Capital Ship Projects of The First World War

[Profile] [Quote]
Tempest
Post subject: Re: German Capital Ship Design Studies of The First World WaPosted: October 7th, 2016, 8:18 pm
The L 27 was a variation of the L 28, it had 28 boilers, rather than 26, weighed 500 tons more at 45,000, was one knot faster at 29kts and had five torpedo tubes compared to three. The four broadside torpedo tubes were mounted above the waterline. Now I have drawn a darker lined box depicting the torpedo tube outer door but if anyone knows how it could have looked please let me know.

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: German Capital Ship Design Studies of The First World WaPosted: October 7th, 2016, 8:48 pm
@Tempest
You're doing fantastic work in this thread. Keep it up!

[Profile] [Quote]
Tempest
Post subject: Re: German Capital Ship Design Studies of The First World WaPosted: October 7th, 2016, 9:58 pm
Thank you eswube :) The next design study will be the L 20 b. It is the first ship in the L 20 series. I've already made a start and it could be completed as early as late Saturday night but it will most probably Sunday.

[Profile] [Quote]
Krakatoa
Post subject: Re: German Capital Ship Design Studies of The First World WaPosted: October 8th, 2016, 1:36 am
I agree with Eswube,

Your drawings are getting better all the time.

[Profile] [Quote]
Tempest
Post subject: Re: German Capital Ship Design Studies of The First World WaPosted: October 8th, 2016, 9:27 am
Thanks Krakatoa

[Profile] [Quote]
Tempest
Post subject: Re: German Capital Ship Design Studies of The First World WaPosted: October 9th, 2016, 9:41 pm
Just completed the L 20 b battleship. A write-up and spec will be posted tomorrow.

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: German Capital Ship Design Studies of The First World WaPosted: October 10th, 2016, 7:40 am
That's another impressive looking design.
Interesting midships location for the beam torpedo tube, I assume the launching room and torpedo store must have been between the boiler and turbines rooms?

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
citizen lambda
Post subject: Re: German Capital Ship Design Studies of The First World WaPosted: October 10th, 2016, 8:49 am
These are really turning out great. Forgive me for not chiming in more often, but there are only so many different ways I can say "awesome drawing" without it getting repetitive after the third post. :)
While I can't comment much on the design itself (this one looks more balanced than some earlier entries, but as I understand, it is through no fault of your own either way), I must say that the execution of the drawing is truly impressive. You really handled the hull shading and the detail relief interestingly, though some might argue that the shading is slightly overdone.
I have one infinitesimal nitpick though: what is the flag attached to exactly? Shouldn't its right edge run along the nearest cable?
As well, one small suggestion to improve the over look even further: I see on the barbettes that you adapted the drop shadows to the underlying shapes (curving the turret overhang shadows on the circular barbettes). Why not use that on angled surfaces as well? I assume that the gun casemates are round, and the walls of their housings canted towards the side. Adding a curved shadow line on the gun covers and a triangular one on the most visible wall would highlight the negative relief of the casemate housing. Of course, you're free to find that it would overload the drawing.

[Profile] [Quote]
Tempest
Post subject: Re: German Capital Ship Design Studies of The First World WaPosted: October 10th, 2016, 11:23 am
Hood, yes spot on. I do like the L 20 designs, the L 24 (which I will be drawing next) has above water launchers, maybe to avoid the penalty of shipping thousands of tons of water if a torpedo warhead is detonated by an underwater explosion.

citizen lambda, haha I don't mind :D haha. Thanks. The flag is a attached top and bottom believe me, I had thought I had placed the flag too close to the top for it to be seen. I will move it lower. Thank you for the shading tip, the hull is an earlier drawing and I hadn't updated it to my current style. Laziness on my part :oops:

I will be drawing the L 24, this is a variation of the L 20 e, having above water torpedo launchers and two extra oil fired boilers, resulting in a larger stack. I will update the hull for this series as well.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 20 of 24  [ 231 posts ]  Return to “Never-Built Designs” | Go to page « 118 19 20 21 2224 »

Jump to: