Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 16 of 24  [ 231 posts ]  Go to page « 114 15 16 17 1824 »
Tempest
Post subject: Re: German Capital Ship Design Studies of The First World WaPosted: September 7th, 2016, 7:25 am
odysseus1980 wrote:
Why this shape in bow (L 21 a and some others)? GK 4542 has convectional bow.
I know that the Battlecruisers up until Hindenburg had a significant cutaway. I read this was to help reduce weight. Maybe it was the same reason on the L 20 series. The GK series has a bow torpedo tube also so its probably not related to that. If I find a definite answer I will get back to you.

Thanks Hood :D

All the best

Tempest.

German Capital Ship Projects of The First World War

[Profile] [Quote]
odysseus1980
Post subject: Re: German Capital Ship Design Studies of The First World WaPosted: September 7th, 2016, 12:39 pm
I have seen this bow in several other German battleships drawn for the forum, most of Imperial German Navy.

[Profile] [Quote]
Tempest
Post subject: Re: German Capital Ship Design Studies of The First World WaPosted: September 7th, 2016, 3:38 pm
I was using the L 20 series as an example.

All the best

Tempest.

[Profile] [Quote]
Tempest
Post subject: Re: German Capital Ship Design Studies of The First World WaPosted: September 12th, 2016, 7:53 pm
Hi guys, I've just finished the L 28 battleship. I've had to use my best guess for the prop-shafts and props because they were only represented by dotted lines. My logic was that since the GK series had similar prop-shafts throughout that using the props and prop-shafts that I've drawn in the GK 4541 and 4542 would make sense.

[ img ]

Enjoy,

Tempest.

[Profile] [Quote]
Krakatoa
Post subject: Re: German Capital Ship Design Studies of The First World WaPosted: September 12th, 2016, 8:24 pm
Howdy Tempest,

Great work on your latest L20 design, L28. Is this a 6x16" (16.5") gunned ship?

It is also interesting then to compare this thread with the thread Karle94 is producing with his 'Proposed New Mexico' designs. Many of the design parameters seem to be similar in nature, but the German designs look to be faster overall.

[Profile] [Quote]
Tempest
Post subject: Re: German Capital Ship Design Studies of The First World WaPosted: September 12th, 2016, 10:32 pm
Krakatoa wrote:
Howdy Tempest,

Great work on your latest L20 design, L28. Is this a 6x16" (16.5") gunned ship?

It is also interesting then to compare this thread with the thread Karle94 is producing with his 'Proposed New Mexico' designs. Many of the design parameters seem to be similar in nature, but the German designs look to be faster overall.

Hi Krakatoa, thank you. and to answer your question; yes the L 28 was armed with six 42cm L/45 guns in a 3 x 2 arrangement. It was an attempt to design a large combat ship (fast battleship) that could actually be built by the existing facilities in the immediate post-war period. With the limitations of the design it was decided that the first series of ships built during the post-war period would not be a fast battleship but separate battleship and battlecruiser designs.

All the best

Tempest.

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: German Capital Ship Design Studies of The First World WaPosted: September 13th, 2016, 7:35 am
Looks good.

That platform to the funnel is still bugging me, 50% just seems to float in mid-air. I'm not sure that's a workable structure, there must have been some kind of additional support somewhere below it surely?

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
Tempest
Post subject: Re: German Capital Ship Design Studies of The First World WaPosted: September 13th, 2016, 11:32 am
Hood wrote:
Looks good.

That platform to the funnel is still bugging me, 50% just seems to float in mid-air. I'm not sure that's a workable structure, there must have been some kind of additional support somewhere below it surely?

Thanks Hood.

The platform leads to the base of the searchlight platform, using the previously drawn plan view of the GK 4541 I reckon that the rectangular box supports the platform as well as the struts for the searchlight platform. Ladders may lead from there up to the searchlight platform, but that is pure speculation. Do you think that's feasible?

All the best

Tempest.

[Profile] [Quote]
csatahajos
Post subject: Re: German Capital Ship Design Studies of The First World WaPosted: September 13th, 2016, 4:27 pm
Dear Tempest,

awesome drawing again, keep it up!

May I ask if you have any more info or meybe even sketches on these (especially the quad turret ones). Are you going to draw them if so?
"Before the war, sketches for potential battleships for the 1916 programme had been drawn up, with ten or even twelve 38cm (15in) guns, with both all-twin and a mixture of twin and quadruple gun layouts being considered, the increase in calibre was an insurance against Great Britain increasing calibre beyond eight 15in guns in the Queen Elizabeth and Royal Sovereign classes. Work apparently stopped on these designs before the outbreak of war."

Thanks a lot!

[Profile] [Quote]
Tempest
Post subject: Re: German Capital Ship Design Studies of The First World WaPosted: September 13th, 2016, 5:04 pm
Hi csatahajos, thanks for the compliment.

I was thinking this morning what I'm going to draw next. I might draw the L 2 battleship which carries 10 x 38cm guns, then draw the L 3 because it is has the same hull as the L 2, which would make it easier, but Garlicdesign has already drawn the L 3. I'm going to draw the L2 but will look for other design studies which were based on hulls that I have already drawn, the L 20 b looks promising but I will know once I've resized the drawing, which I am doing right now as it happens. I don't have any drawings with triple guns unfortunately.

All the best

Tempest.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 16 of 24  [ 231 posts ]  Return to “Never-Built Designs” | Go to page « 114 15 16 17 1824 »

Jump to: