Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 3 of 5  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 »
Karle94
Post subject: Re: US Fast Battleship Scheme C 1918Posted: March 16th, 2014, 4:28 pm
Just put gray on them, there should be no 90 degree angle.

[Profile] [Quote]
Syzmo
Post subject: Re: US Fast Battleship Scheme C 1918Posted: March 16th, 2014, 5:09 pm
done

"All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity, but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." Thomas Edward Lawrence, The Seven Pillars of Wisdom

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: US Fast Battleship Scheme C 1918Posted: March 16th, 2014, 11:25 pm
Syzmo: very nice rendition. You may, however, consider exchanging the 50-ft motor personnel boat abreast the fore funnel to a steam cutter or equivalent, since that boat did not exist in 1918!

[Profile] [Quote]
Syzmo
Post subject: Re: US Fast Battleship Scheme C 1918Posted: March 17th, 2014, 12:24 am
I'm looking at the USN boats parts sheet from the main site. Non of the names quite match your recommendation. Which should I use?
http://www.shipbucket.com/images.php?di ... 0Parts.png

EDIT: Never mind, I found it in the parts discussion, is this the one you meant

On another note, I think it would be worthwhile for us to modify all the parts sheets to show the year each item came into service.

"All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity, but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." Thomas Edward Lawrence, The Seven Pillars of Wisdom

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: US Fast Battleship Scheme C 1918Posted: March 17th, 2014, 6:53 am
That sheet is based on a pamphlet that details the USN boats circa 1950, so many of the early boats aren't there.

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
Syzmo
Post subject: Re: US Fast Battleship Scheme C 1918Posted: March 17th, 2014, 11:07 am
I was thinking about drawing this ship as she would have appeared during World War II but if there was no Washington Naval Treaty and ships like this were being built in America and Japan, the Pacific War would have probably been fought in the 1930's, with different equipment than in reality.

What is everyones' thoughts on this?

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: US Fast Battleship Scheme C 1918Posted: March 17th, 2014, 1:45 pm
Yes, I was referring to the 40' (not 50' as I stated!). We do have a deficit on good, accurate ships' boats from the early period, regardless of the navies concerned, except the Victorian/Edwardian one, where I have attempted to whip out quite a few.
Maybe I can visit this area and see what I can come up with?!?

[Profile] [Quote]
Syzmo
Post subject: Re: US Fast Battleship Scheme C 1918Posted: March 29th, 2014, 8:19 pm
Assuming there was no Washington Naval Treaty and these ships were built, the United States and Japan would have likely ended up at war with each other sooner rather than later. Here is the fast battleship as she may have appeared during the Great Pacific War in 1934.

The layout of the ship has not changed much, however AA guns and fire control has been added along with some other changes common to US capitol ships of the era. I know gun tubs were not used yet during this period for the 5"/25's but if their had been a war they likely would have been added. Any better ideas for the after range finder would be greatly appreciated.

The most obvious change is the smoke stack. I did not set out to put that abomination amidships, however I could not think of a better way to trunk the five existing funnels. If I had not trunked them the AA guns would have horrible arcs of fire.

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: US Fast Battleship Scheme C 1918Posted: March 29th, 2014, 8:34 pm
Interesting, and great drawing - but the trunked funnel looks indeed like a some abomination. ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
Karle94
Post subject: Re: US Fast Battleship Scheme C 1918Posted: March 29th, 2014, 8:47 pm
How about doing the funnels something along the South Dakota. Or perhaphs having three funnels, larger than the old ones.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 3 of 5  [ 41 posts ]  Return to “Never-Built Designs” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 »

Jump to: