Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 4 of 8  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 68 »
Novice
Post subject: Re: 1947 onderzeebootjagersPosted: June 29th, 2014, 7:43 pm
rifleman wrote:
Very nice always wondered why the Dutch and the British never cooperated more closely on warship design post war.
They did co operate, but most projects didn't mature, the culmination of that co-op was the Van Speijk frigates (Leander class)

"Never fear to try on something new. Remember that the Titanic was built by professionals, and the Ark by an amateur"

[Profile] [Quote]
MC Spoilt B'stard
Post subject: Re: 1947 onderzeebootjagersPosted: June 29th, 2014, 10:25 pm
rifleman wrote:
Very nice always wondered why the Dutch and the British never cooperated more closely on warship design post war.
#1 problem was that the Brits never wanted dutch radars or other systems on theire ships, you got to give something to in a cooperation.

------
Caption signing treaty with England by Johan de Witt

[Working List]
None

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: 1947 onderzeebootjagersPosted: July 14th, 2014, 8:48 pm
added the machinery arrangement of the 1947A to the first post.
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: 1947 onderzeebootjagersPosted: July 15th, 2014, 5:07 am
excellent work.

Those tanks looks like similar to those tanks they called day-tanks in the Norwegian Navy... What ever they mean whit that!

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: 1947 onderzeebootjagersPosted: July 15th, 2014, 3:38 pm
day tanks are a bit of fuel reserve for the engine, that is constantly filled from the main tanks. if you swap main fuel tanks, you don't have to stop the engines, because of the day tank that is in between. (these are on most if not all ships with more then 2 fuel tanks)

the tanks shown in the plan are actually all tanks that are in the machinery spaces, so that means fuel tanks, oil tanks, coolwater tanks, sea inlet tanks, day tanks, spilled oil tanks etc. too many different kinds to label in sb style, in short :P

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: 1947 onderzeebootjagersPosted: July 15th, 2014, 3:41 pm
A Day tank contains a days worth of whatever is in it. It's usually fuel, but water and lubricants are also an option.

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: 1947 onderzeebootjagersPosted: July 15th, 2014, 3:45 pm
is it always a day, thiel? because looking at the plans of the 1947 destroyers, I cannot believe that propels them a full day (on cruising speed it might be enough, but then it is the definition how that day is spend :P)

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: 1947 onderzeebootjagersPosted: July 15th, 2014, 6:35 pm
yes Norwegian Hauk class at full throttle empty an day tank in under 15 minutes. but then they have 7200 hp.

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: 1947 onderzeebootjagersPosted: July 15th, 2014, 7:42 pm
acelanceloet wrote:
is it always a day, thiel? because looking at the plans of the 1947 destroyers, I cannot believe that propels them a full day (on cruising speed it might be enough, but then it is the definition how that day is spend :P)
Depends on who is certifying the ship. As I recall the DNV requires that tankers have enough fuel ready on hand, ie centrifuged and heated, for 24 hours at Best Speed. Exactly what Best Speed is depends on the ship, but as I understand it it's the speed that'll give you the most range for the least fuel within 24 hours. But that's only the DNV definition and I'm not sure it's the same anything else except tankers. Other certification houses probably have a different one.
Really, Day Tank is a purely civillian term that has snuck its way over to the military side. Despite what they call them they're really just ready tanks. Anyway, the defining feature of both is that whatever is in them is ready for immediate use. If it needs to be heated then it's kept hot, if it needs filtering then it's been through a filter and so on.

As an interesting aside the Royal Danish Navy used to define a Ready Tank as a tank that held enough conditioned fuel to get the boilers to working pressure from a cold start. Of course that definition became rather obsolete when they started to use diesel engines and gas turbines in ernest.

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
MihoshiK
Post subject: Re: 1947 onderzeebootjagersPosted: July 19th, 2014, 2:15 pm
Can't wait to see these fully kitted out with radars etc.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 4 of 8  [ 78 posts ]  Return to “Never-Built Designs” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 68 »

Jump to: