Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 3 of 9  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 59 »
David Latuch
Post subject: Re: Fast Battleship Scheme "D" 1918Posted: June 27th, 2014, 6:23 pm
WWII44 wrote:
David Latuch wrote:
WWII44 wrote:
Absolutely spiffy design, keep it up.
When I go to your threads I can't see the drawings all I get is a square with an "X" in it and the word "image", is something wrong with my computer?
that's because image shack crapped out on me so I lost all of them, I have all my work here if you are intrested: http://wwii44.deviantart.com/gallery/44 ... ce-Nations
Very nice indeed :D

[Profile] [Quote]
WWII44
Post subject: Re: Fast Battleship Scheme "D" 1918Posted: June 27th, 2014, 6:40 pm
Thank ye kindly

[Profile] [Quote]
David Latuch
Post subject: Re: Fast Battleship Scheme "D" 1918Posted: June 27th, 2014, 6:48 pm
Here is Scheme "D" as it "might have been refit in 1937":

[ img ]

A stern catapult and aircraft crane was added.

The aft 5"/51 on the 0-1/boat deck was removed and 6-5"/25s were added along with 6-3"/50s on the 0-2 deck.

The 1pdrs were replaced with 50cal BMGs.

And an anti-aircraft platform was added above the main observation platform.

Stay tuned there is more to come.

[Profile] [Quote]
CanisD
Post subject: Re: Fast Battleship Scheme "D" 1918Posted: June 27th, 2014, 7:04 pm
Those midship deck torpedo mounts are a disaster waiting to happen. I can't see the US Navy putting them there.

[Profile] [Quote]
David Latuch
Post subject: Re: Fast Battleship Scheme "D" 1918Posted: June 27th, 2014, 7:19 pm
CanisD wrote:
Those midship deck torpedo mounts are a disaster waiting to happen. I can't see the US Navy putting them there.
Where would you put them then. The ship was originally speced for 6 TTs, 2 submerged and 4 on deck. ;)

I should have removed them during the refit . . . thanks, I think I'll do just that. :D

[Profile] [Quote]
CanisD
Post subject: Re: Fast Battleship Scheme "D" 1918Posted: June 27th, 2014, 7:50 pm
Yup, get rid of them. I think the Germans were the only ones who kept torpedoes with Tirpitz. We removed ours during refits.

[Profile] [Quote]
David Latuch
Post subject: Re: Fast Battleship Scheme "D" 1918Posted: June 27th, 2014, 7:56 pm
CanisD wrote:
Yup, get rid of them. I think the Germans were the only ones who kept torpedoes with Tirpitz. We removed ours during refits.
CanisD,

Check out the drawing above . . . the TTs are gone. . . oops, that reminds me I've yet to remove the two submerged tubes. Doing so now. :oops:

[Profile] [Quote]
CanisD
Post subject: Re: Fast Battleship Scheme "D" 1918Posted: June 28th, 2014, 12:03 am
Much better. Its good not to have easily "explodey" bits out in the open, especially near the midships where most shells tend to land.

This design always struck me as a bit strange, with the long low hull. To me that would make her quite a wet design in a seaway but I guess weight considerations came first.

[Profile] [Quote]
Karle94
Post subject: Re: Fast Battleship Scheme "D" 1918Posted: June 28th, 2014, 12:04 am
Underwater TTs would have been removed by the mid 30s, so no reason to draw them. The Atlanta class CL was the only class of ships larger than a destroyer to have TTs during WWII. Why have 76mm guns when you have 5 inch guns? No American BB had a combination of the two in the 30s. A few had them instead of the 1.1 inch due to a shortage of the latter. That was in 1941 and 42. And as a sidenote, all American battleships from the South Carolina to the Iowa were very wet ships, especially at the bow.

[Profile] [Quote]
emperor_andreas
Post subject: Re: Fast Battleship Scheme "D" 1918Posted: June 28th, 2014, 12:40 am
Very nice work!

The Official IJN Ships & Planes List

#FJB

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 3 of 9  [ 87 posts ]  Return to “Never-Built Designs” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 59 »

Jump to: