Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 3 of 3  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3
Hood
Post subject: Re: Royal Sovereign Class Never-Were'sPosted: November 8th, 2014, 11:24 am
Thanks to Smurf's scans of Sir Eustace Tennyson d'Encourt's notebook, I have revised the W2 design which was planned for HMS Resistance. The superstructure was much larger and despite text descriptions of a larger conning tower, the sketch shows a much smaller one.
Also, given the W2s (Repulse and Renown) were based on the T1 design, I have updated their casemate positions accordingly. These were to have an improved conning tower so I've added the arrangements from W1.

[ img ]
W1

[ img ]
[ img ]
W2

All images on p1 have been updated.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
smurf
Post subject: Re: Royal Sovereign Class Never-Were'sPosted: November 8th, 2014, 5:05 pm
Another set of excellent drawings.
"despite text descriptions of a larger conning tower, the sketch shows a much smaller one. "
This problem does arise from time to time. When I wrote my article on the Fiji class for Warship, after some exchange of e-mails with the editor, John Jordan, who also did the drawings, we decided to put this footnote on the set for the initial designs:
"These drawings are faithful to the original sketches in ADM 1/9402. The details on them do not correspond exactly to the written descriptions in various Admiralty papers, which are not always entirely consistent with each other. Where some details of armour and location of armament and fittings are omitted from the original drawings, no attempt has been made to 'guess' the likely locations."
In other words, we gave up!
(ETdE's sketch may be a very early one. Figures are a nightmare. If for example you follow any design through from conception to scrapping, you will find a host of different figures for say length or displacement in different books and papers. Some different ones may all be correct when each one was written. Some may refer to different states of the ship (eg overall or waterline lengths, unspecified). Some are just plain wrong.)

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: Royal Sovereign Class Never-Were'sPosted: November 8th, 2014, 5:15 pm
Hood, Hood, taste on this word: Awesome.

[Profile] [Quote]
Krakatoa
Post subject: Re: Royal Sovereign Class Never-Were'sPosted: November 8th, 2014, 7:50 pm
The Royal Navy is certainly getting some well deserved attention, your drawings of these ships are improving all the time. Well done Hood (and Smurf).

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Royal Sovereign Class Never-Were'sPosted: November 8th, 2014, 9:19 pm
Fantastic work!

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 3 of 3  [ 25 posts ]  Return to “Never-Built Designs” | Go to page « 1 2 3

Jump to: