Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 5 of 5  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5
Sumeragi
Post subject: Re: King George V as originally planned 12x14"Posted: June 4th, 2015, 12:28 am
Not sure what you mean, other than that I'm pointing out factually wrong designation/information (such as there being no single smokestack idea). Don't know about the measurements, since I didn't check the pixels.

If you want, I can send you the articles for your viewing pleasure and hopefully correcting.

[Profile] [Quote]
Krakatoa
Post subject: Re: King George V as originally planned 12x14"Posted: June 4th, 2015, 2:02 am
This thread was for the designs around the KGV 35,000 ton Treaty battleships, lots of e-mails and PM's were exchanged with Smurf, Hood and myself over the various designs and what they should look like. The five drawings I ended up posting were the best fit for the information we had. The single smokestack was discussed in this thread for both the 14 and 16 series designs.

The designs for 16D and above, I think Hood is going to do those as part of his Interwar Designs thread. I did the 1930-32 Lillicrap light BC designs in another thread. So we are covering as many of the designs as possible that the RN processed for capital ships between 1918 and 1939+.

[Profile] [Quote]
smurf
Post subject: Re: King George V as originally planned 12x14"Posted: June 4th, 2015, 8:32 am
Sumeragi said "I'm pointing out factually wrong designation/information (such as there being no single smokestack idea)."
If by that you mean that no KGV design was produced with a single funnel, I'm afraid you are mistaken.
The Staff requested a single funnel option at a very early stage in the design, but DNC instructed his staff not to spend too much time on it.
At a fairly late stage, (December 1935) the Staff repeated the request, and Design 14N was produced, with the machinery spaces moved aft (compared to the November 1935 Design 14L) to save weight with propeller shafts 35ft shorter and so less vulnerable to underwater attack. 14N was given a single funnel to make estimating the ship's angle of inclination more difficult. The 4.5in guns had to be concentrated forward as a result.
See Raven and Roberts 'British Battleships' p281 for details - but no drawing. Their information from the Ship's Cover.

Sumeragi's table is from John Roberts' Warship article on the Lion class. JR would of course be aware of Design 14N.
The 14B/38 Lion design of 1938 had 14in guns to compensate for the weight of a 150,000shp engine installation, but the main aim of the Lion designs was to mount 16in guns.

[Profile] [Quote]
Sumeragi
Post subject: Re: King George V as originally planned 12x14"Posted: June 6th, 2015, 4:06 am
smurf wrote:
If by that you mean that no KGV design was produced with a single funnel, I'm afraid you are mistaken.
As in mixing up the KGV and Lion designs would be something for Personal Design or Alternate History, not Never-Built Designs.

Also, hello smurf, Akos told me about you. Hope we have a pleasant time together :D

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 5 of 5  [ 44 posts ]  Return to “Never-Built Designs” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5

Jump to: