Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 4 of 22  [ 215 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 622 »
eswube
Post subject: Re: Royal Navy Interwar Captial ShipsPosted: November 22nd, 2014, 10:50 pm
Fascinating addition!

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: Royal Navy Interwar Captial ShipsPosted: November 23rd, 2014, 3:34 pm
Correct, it is a torpedo tube. I've copied the Nelson layout as I suppose the tubes would be inclined more forwards to ease entry into the water. I've corrected the typo too.

I've posted the very first design of the series and her full details can be found on p.1.

[ img ]
Design L Twin June 1920

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
emperor_andreas
Post subject: Re: Royal Navy Interwar Captial ShipsPosted: November 23rd, 2014, 3:37 pm
Great work!

The Official IJN Ships & Planes List

#FJB

[Profile] [Quote]
Biancini1995
Post subject: Re: Royal Navy Interwar Captial ShipsPosted: November 23rd, 2014, 4:29 pm
This is a strange one^^

[Profile] [Quote]
smurf
Post subject: Re: Royal Navy Interwar Captial ShipsPosted: November 23rd, 2014, 5:35 pm
According to my drawing (Warship2) L should have torpedo tubes! (under the barrels of A turret)
EDIT Is that the small circle, not Nelson style?
I should say, great drawing.

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: Royal Navy Interwar Captial ShipsPosted: November 25th, 2014, 8:42 am
That's correct smurf, the circle is the torpedo tube. I felt given this was the first design that it might use the standard submerged tube rather than the Nelson style.
Again, I'm not sure the turrets would actually fit given the small amount of deckspace between the deck-edge and the superstructure (the placeholder circles on the plan only just fit).

I like the looks of this class, being much more of Hood/Admiral lineage as well as U4 ancestry and I've tried to bring out more features around the superstructure etc. from the unbuilt Admirals for these early Ls.
Oddly there seems to be no heavy armoured conning tower on these early designs.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
smurf
Post subject: Re: Royal Navy Interwar Captial ShipsPosted: November 25th, 2014, 11:17 am
Interesting designs, with interesting comments in Campbell's article and especially in DK Brown's 'Grand Fleet'
DKB (an experienced professional warship designer) saw them as 'baseline designs' from which more workable ones could be scaled-up. Size of available docks was an important limit on all these 1920/21 designs. The omission of a heavy armoured conning tower is particularly strange as that was considered essential in the preliminary discussions between the DNC and DNO (Directors of construction and ordnance). That probably reinforces the idea that all the turrets on the same level was a weight-saving idea, in particular to keep the centre of gravity low to maintain stability with beam less than 106ft. The design also showed the difficulty of producing a design with 18in guns, correspondingly protected, which could be docked in enough places. Not a design actually to be built.

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Royal Navy Interwar Captial ShipsPosted: November 25th, 2014, 6:28 pm
Very interesting!

[Profile] [Quote]
ailgin
Post subject: Re: Royal Navy Interwar Captial ShipsPosted: November 25th, 2014, 9:52 pm
Hmm, I would be interested to see the development of this class and any refits it would have.

[Profile] [Quote]
Trojan
Post subject: Re: Royal Navy Interwar Captial ShipsPosted: November 26th, 2014, 9:09 am
Hood, excellent job as always.

References and feedback is always welcome!

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 4 of 22  [ 215 posts ]  Return to “Never-Built Designs” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 622 »

Jump to: