Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 3 of 3  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3
emperor_andreas
Post subject: Re: German export battleship projectsPosted: November 29th, 2014, 11:10 pm
VERY nice work!

The Official IJN Ships & Planes List

#FJB

[Profile] [Quote]
Krakatoa
Post subject: Re: German export battleship projectsPosted: November 29th, 2014, 11:11 pm
That is a lovely drawing of IMO the best of the 'small' navy battleships. Well done GD.

[Profile] [Quote]
Charybdis
Post subject: Re: German export battleship projectsPosted: November 29th, 2014, 11:41 pm
Truly fantastic drawing...

[Profile] [Quote]
Gollevainen
Post subject: Re: German export battleship projectsPosted: November 30th, 2014, 9:49 am
Really nice work, really nice.
Quote:
PS @ Colombamike: (Irony on) Draw a ship destined for the Finnish Navy? And post it on Gollevainen's own website? You want me to be banned for life? (Irony off ;) ). Earnestly, it would not fit in my schedule very well right now, and I gladly leave it to Golly.
Actually, I woulndt mind if you take a bash of some of these never-where armoured ships. I've drawn them all myself, many years ago, mainly for the purposes of my AU projetcs, and thus they've reminded somewhat hidden from great publick since I've not gotten into publish my Finnish AU stuff as much as I've drawn them.
And sometimes, when you roll over the same ship, drawing it numerious times, over these years, and never getting fully pleased of the result, it wouldn't harm at all, if someone else, with completely different ideas takes his turn, and perhaps it could just do good for my own work. I've spotted similar effect on the Old Russian ships you and weisman and Bezo has drawn, and whoknows, perhaps it could work for finnish ones as well.

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: German export battleship projectsPosted: November 30th, 2014, 10:07 am
That is the most beautiful rendition of Salamis I've ever seen. She actually looks fairly non-Germanic in appearance.

I've often wondered why the Germans never made an attempt to complete her during the Great War. I know the main guns ended up in British hands, but I would have thought the Germans could have modified an existing German turret design to fit her barbettes.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
maomatic
Post subject: Re: German export battleship projectsPosted: November 30th, 2014, 11:01 am
Wow, you are fast! Excellent work!

@Hood:
It seems that the ship was still missing many vital parts, like most of the armor (80%) and the B and C barbettes (?).
This made the completion under wartime conditions unfeasible and they just launched the hull to clear the slipway.

[Profile] [Quote]
DG_Alpha
Post subject: Re: German export battleship projectsPosted: November 30th, 2014, 1:37 pm
Great work, she looks beautiful!

[Profile] [Quote]
Garlicdesign
Post subject: Re: German export battleship projectsPosted: November 30th, 2014, 6:26 pm
Hello again!

From what I've read, Salamis would have used not only imported guns and turrets, but also imported armour from the USA; the latter could however have been substituted by German material (in WWI, the German problem usually was not lack of steel, but rather lack of workforce). Apart from the manpower issue, I think the main problem would have been the necessity of a major reconstruction to fit German 350mm twins, because they were larger and had larger barbettes than their US equivalents. They might have used 305mm twins, but in 1914, 8 305mm guns seem to have been considered too weak for a newly built ship, so this option was not contemplated.

Greetings
GD

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: German export battleship projectsPosted: November 30th, 2014, 6:49 pm
Fantastic work! Keep it up! :)

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 3 of 3  [ 29 posts ]  Return to “Never-Built Designs” | Go to page « 1 2 3

Jump to: