Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ] 
alternathistory
Post subject: Battleship of coastal defense project in 1900. RussiaPosted: January 13th, 2015, 9:02 am
[ img ]
Explanation of the ship translates autotranslator so do not blame me.
The question of designing a new coastal defense battleships interested Vice Admiral P. Tyrtova in October 1897 at his behest of ITC in the face of temporary chairman Major General A. Krotkova and Chief Inspector of shipbuilding NE Kuteynikova reported historical information about ships such as the creation of "Admiral Senyavin" and proposals for their improvement.

The latter reduces to the device forecastle (decrease "burying" the nose), an increase in tonnage (destruction overload) for the previous requirements for weapons and booking, installing tube boilers Belleville and airborne ammunition cellars, as well as a shift forward nose turret for the convenience of the location of felling and masts. ITC considered it possible to restrict the design of coal reserves (214 m) with full capacity of the coal pits in the 390 m and a capacity of 4800 liters mechanisms. s., sufficient for speed 16 knots.

Coast defense battleship displacement of 5985 tons, the project in 1900

A. meek and NE Kuteinikov noted that recent coastal defense battleships in foreign fleets have no obvious advantages over the "Apraksin": naval efforts there focused on the development of battleships "much greater magnitude." Desirable to improve the reservation system, in their view, is a device of the bevel armored deck to the lower edge of the side armor (similar to the English "Majestic" and our "Peresvet"). Increase speed to 17 kt as the Japanese ship "Matsushima" and the Greek "Hydra", did not promise obvious tactical advantages. For coastal defense battleships "invulnerability and a strong artillery should be placed ahead of achieving a higher rate of progress." * [* RGAVMF. F. 421. Op. 1. D. 1197. L. 131-137.]

Shortly after the decision of the April 1899 meeting of the new ship design to the development of type he is well familiar "Apraksina" took Captain 2nd Rank Grand Duke Alexander Mikhailovich. Analysis of the state of artillery led him to the idea of adopting a single highest possible caliber guns highest rate of (a similar idea subsequently led to the Italians and the British dreadnoughts). By the beginning of XX century. such caliber, according to Alexander's was the caliber of 203 mm, can achieve both rapid mechanical and manual loading. The result of this assessment became Grand Duke developed the design assignment battleship, armored cruiser and battleship of coastal defense.

Jobs in the drawings embody conceptual designs come from DV Skvortsov. Designed they battleship and armored cruiser already in 1899 were rejected by the ITC * and coast defense battleship decided to order at the expense of the joint program. [* MTC was right, preferring to keep the 305-mm caliber on the battleships, but it is in vain rejected armored cruiser, anticipating ships 1904-1907. In the war of 1904-1905. Russian Navy lacked just such cruisers.] August 25, 1899 PP Tyrtov ordered to begin its construction in the shed Galernogo island after the launching of the cruiser "Diana". Interestingly, the "father" of the ships of the "Admiral Senyavin" EE Gulyaev in reference to the meeting of the MTC 8 November 1899 pointed to the construction of coastal defense battleships only "feeble treteklassnyh sea states." "Large ships are capable of doing a broader military enterprises, which is especially important with the development of naval power in the far seas" - he said. * [* RGAVMF. F. 421. Op 1. D. 1434. L. 23-27.]

However, these considerations are not justified influenced the decision of the ITC (and of EE Gulyaev). When you select a project committee bowed to the version proposed by Alexander, a project developed at the same time the Baltic plant was rejected. In December, sketch drawings "Battleship about 5300 tons displacement", the results reported by IM Dickov General Admiral, were approved.

Without waiting for the development of a "detailed drawings" that D. Skvortsov promised to submit by 15 March 1900, PP Tyrtov already ordered on January 7th issue GUKiS outfit St. Petersburg port to build a battleship of coastal defense in a small stone boathouse new Admiralty. At the request of the port of the new ship, it was decided to build a wooden boathouse, giving the stone boathouse "Diana" under the coal transportation. In March GUKiS appropriate to the work of 100 thousand. Rub. Soon theoretical drawing of the ship passed "to the structure," the statement as "detailed drawings" in littered with "tekuchkoj" MTKzatyanulost to autumn 1900

The project "coastal defense battleship displacement of 5985 tons," * was completely original and very thoughtful in the tactical and constructive relations. [* RGAVMF. F. 876. Op. 30. D. 391.] The main elements of the ship on the project were as follows:

Displacement, t ....................... 5985

Length at the waterline, m .................... 103.6

Width, 18.0 m ...........................

Draft average, 5.2 m ........................

Speed, knots, with power mechanisms 7000 liters. with ........... 16

Armament:

six 203-mm / 45 guns

eight 75-mm / 50 guns

eight 47-mm guns

four 7.62-mm machine gun

Mine vehicles:

surface (the bow, stern and traverznye) .......... 4

underwater .......................... 2

The basic version of the machine-project boiler system developed by the Franco-Russian plant to be installed 12 Belleville boilers with economizers (was an option with 16 boilers Niklossa). Gross weight machines and boilers with water was 875 m. Book includes full armor belt thickness from 102 to 178 mm, 51-mm armor deck with bevels, 76mm dungeon for 75-mm guns. Four main gun turrets were booked caliber 152-mm plates.

[Profile] [Quote]
alternathistory
Post subject: Re: Battleship of coastal defense project in 1900. RussiaPosted: January 13th, 2015, 9:04 am
Main article in Russian is available at - http://alternathistory.org.ua/dopolneni ... ent-250405

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: Battleship of coastal defense project in 1900. RussiaPosted: January 13th, 2015, 2:17 pm
A few issues with an otherwise interesting drawing: forward superstructure appears to be way too tall for the ship's overall displacement and dimensions. Portholes are non-shipbucket standard, so, that means that you must prove that their intended sizes were to be that diminutive or you'll have to change them into the standard format.
The wing 12" (?) turret appears to have too much and a too deep sponson; would not have worked in real life, not least due to the amount of spray and resistance they'd cause. Speaking of...freeboard appears to be on the low side as well.
You also have non-standard (Rurikian) shading, and, of course the template is non-standard. Why not look at virtually every submitted SB-drawing so that you can fix that?
Lastly, I doubt a ship of this modest displacement would be able to carry what appears to be a 2nd class torpedo launch abreast its forward funnel. The other ship's boats appear somewhat oversized for your vessel too, and have been stowed in incredibly bad positions, not least out of concern of gun blasts!
Commenting on the bulk text, it strikes me as rather odd that all the people you mention appears to be females! (I. e. Tyrtova, instead of Tyrtov...) Maybe look into that too?

[Profile] [Quote]
Naixoterk
Post subject: Re: Battleship of coastal defense project in 1900. RussiaPosted: January 13th, 2015, 3:21 pm
Am i the only one who can't see the pics?

Dornier Do.17/Do.215
    Heinkel He.79
    Junkers Ju.52
    Junkers J.I
Repainting:
  • Grumman F4F Wildcat/Grumman G-36
    Caproni Ca.135bis

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: Battleship of coastal defense project in 1900. RussiaPosted: January 13th, 2015, 3:23 pm
Naixoterk wrote:
Am i the only one who can't see the pics?
me to

[Profile] [Quote]
alternathistory
Post subject: Re: Battleship of coastal defense project in 1900. RussiaPosted: January 14th, 2015, 10:32 am
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
alternathistory
Post subject: Re: Battleship of coastal defense project in 1900. RussiaPosted: January 14th, 2015, 10:37 am
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]  Return to “Never-Built Designs”

Jump to: