Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 2 of 2  [ 14 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2
emperor_andreas
Post subject: Re: Izmail (Borodino) class BattlecruisersPosted: March 29th, 2015, 6:33 pm
Very nice work!

The Official IJN Ships & Planes List

#FJB

[Profile] [Quote]
wb21
Post subject: Re: Izmail (Borodino) class BattlecruisersPosted: March 30th, 2015, 8:38 am
Very nice work boss. [ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: Izmail (Borodino) class BattlecruisersPosted: April 2nd, 2015, 4:31 pm
Awesome work Antti! Truly a magnificent creation - and, if you can still 'super-detail' it with new sources - then even more magnificent.

Yes, it's true that the four planned units were to be stationed in the Med. However, they'd be denied the closest Russian naval facilities at hand; those in Sevastopol and Nikolaev on the Crimea, due to the existing ban for transit of foreign warships through the Straits of the Dardanelles, imposed after the Crimean War.

The Russians most likely would have had to rely on French hospitality (Toulon, Bizerte, Oran) since the relations between Russia and Great Britain were somewhat strained after the Hull-incident in Oct. 1904, when the Russian 2nd Pacific Squadron, enroute from the Baltic to the Pacific shot up a peaceful British herring fleet on the Dogger banks, during the Russo-Japanese War.

It would have been very interesting to find out how the Russians intended to solve that conundrum...

[Profile] [Quote]
Gollevainen
Post subject: Re: Izmail (Borodino) class BattlecruisersPosted: April 2nd, 2015, 5:42 pm
Quote:
and, if you can still 'super-detail' it with new sources - then even more magnificent.
thanks for the praises. regarding the sources, there are actually quite good ones out there, mainly a russian book from the mideli shspangoyt series (volume 22) by L. A Kuznetsov, which is a splendid book (and would be even better if the e-book version I brougth would be in format where I could select text for translations) with lots of references, perhaps everything there are, but one thing it lacks is good layout picture with the underwater hull. Pics of the completed hulls ready for launching exist, but they only revials the stem and rear, with some intresting ventilation pipe hatches, but not the torpedotubes.

Edit:
Regarding to the pre-war plans of stationing the Baltic fleet in Mediterranean Sea, Russia in fact actually did ask and got French permission to use the naval base at Bizerte. To what extent, I do not know. They also planned to gain access to British bases in the region but thats seemed quite unlikely to gotten anywere. Reason for this was in the paramount intress of Russia to gain control over the Bosporus and access to the Black sea.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 2 of 2  [ 14 posts ]  Return to “Never-Built Designs” | Go to page « 1 2

Jump to: