Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 2  [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 »
Gollevainen
Post subject: Izmail (Borodino) class BattlecruisersPosted: March 28th, 2015, 4:04 pm
[ img ]

Here's my artist impression of the Izmail class based on drawing dated june 4, 1915.

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: Izmail (Borodino) class BattlecruisersPosted: March 28th, 2015, 4:45 pm
Great work Golly.
Nice to see you tackling real designs again. Certainly an impressive looking ship, and one that is so deceptively empty lacking any real superstructure. I reckon conditions below would have been pretty cramped for the crew at sea.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
Krakatoa
Post subject: Re: Izmail (Borodino) class BattlecruisersPosted: March 28th, 2015, 7:12 pm
Great work Golly. Always sorry that the Borodino's (at least one of them) did not get completed. The uncompleted hull of the Izmail is handy if you want something to convert to a CV in the mid to late 20's for an AU country.

[Profile] [Quote]
Garlicdesign
Post subject: Re: Izmail (Borodino) class BattlecruisersPosted: March 28th, 2015, 8:56 pm
Hello everyone!

Cool stuff, a highly impressive vessel and finely executed (was the Baltic really big enough for one of them to make a full-speed U-turn?).

Am I misinterpreting something or is there some rigging missing at the flagstaff?

And, my usual question - what did the Russians really use as lower hull colour? Was it green or red? Or first red and then green - and when did they swap?? I really have not found any sources about that...

Greetings
GD

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Izmail (Borodino) class BattlecruisersPosted: March 28th, 2015, 8:58 pm
Fantastic work Gollevainen! :)

[Profile] [Quote]
Gollevainen
Post subject: Re: Izmail (Borodino) class BattlecruisersPosted: March 29th, 2015, 7:17 am
Hi and thanks for the comments.

As for Garlicdesings questions, re: riggings, I drew them according to the rather detailed line-drawing I was using, and I decided not to go invent any additional ones that weren't featured there. re: colors, Yes this whole color issue seems to be constant pain when working on with Russian and Soviet ships. Sofar I have not met anything actually describing the practices and colors regarding the hull, under and above water in any sources. Usually i just try to follow other artist impressions of the older ships as presented in the most common russian naval publications, which usually have aqvarel pallettes of various ships. Those are naturally impressions of some other artist before me, but better than nothing.

As for the size of the vessels, the entire new Baltic squardon that was planned before the WWI broke out was intended for oceanic operations in mind, not just confined to Baltic and I've read from one source that it was actually intended to be based on Mediterrain sea due the importance of Bosborous to the Russian trade.

[Profile] [Quote]
Colombamike
Post subject: Re: Izmail (Borodino) class BattlecruisersPosted: March 29th, 2015, 8:18 am
Roooh
Goly, you forget the underwater Torpedo-Tubes :|

[Profile] [Quote]
Gollevainen
Post subject: Re: Izmail (Borodino) class BattlecruisersPosted: March 29th, 2015, 8:35 am
well its more of an unfortunate intentional lack at this point since the only reference (that is par with the upperworks) from the hull is a slitting wiev that doesent really reveal the actuall size nor form of the hatches (since they are traverse from the centerline). Therefore I cannot present all the details there yet (there are other hatches there as well, for pumps and such). If someone has better references regarding them, I would be happy to continue my work :)

[Profile] [Quote]
Colombamike
Post subject: Re: Izmail (Borodino) class BattlecruisersPosted: March 29th, 2015, 8:41 am
[ img ]
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Gollevainen
Post subject: Re: Izmail (Borodino) class BattlecruisersPosted: March 29th, 2015, 9:10 am
yes those are the same sources Im using. What they don't revial, is how the actuall hatchess looks in the outer skin

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 2  [ 14 posts ]  Return to “Never-Built Designs” | Go to page 1 2 »

Jump to: