[Post Reply] [*]  Page 8 of 11  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page « 16 7 8 9 10 11 »
csatahajos
Post subject: Re: Germany - H Class BattleshipPosted: July 24th, 2016, 7:19 pm
Maybe add dotted lines as in Breyer...?

[Profile] [Quote]
Colombamike
Post subject: Re: Germany - H Class BattleshipPosted: July 24th, 2016, 7:49 pm
maomatic wrote:
I still don't know about the way to depict the skeg. It looks extremely odd like this...
[ img ][ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
maomatic
Post subject: Re: Germany - H Class BattleshipPosted: July 24th, 2016, 8:38 pm
@emperor_andreas
Thanks. I can't promise that I will, atleast not in the forseeable future.

@Colombamike
So? Care to elaborate instead of posting random pictures? That's the drawing I based this thing off.
From what I gathered, the skeg is covering the rudders and screws and that's what my drawing is supposed to show. I'm not sure if it covers the outboard screws, though.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Germany - H Class BattleshipPosted: July 24th, 2016, 8:43 pm
Something seems to be off indeed. While the way this was drawn and shaded is correct, if I look at the posted top view we can see that the hull is not that wide that this skeg could go so far aft while being outside the inner 2 propellers. I had an quick look at the text posted in this thread, and if I did not miss anything the skegs were not outside the propeller shafts but were the propeller shaft supports, so actually enclosing the propeller shafts. this does only partially match the image, seeing that it was mentioned the skegs also served as better dockside support, suggesting them to be level with the keel. this does not have to be the case though, even in the shape on the drawing they provide more strength to the hull.

I really wonder about the part drawn in black though, but I doubt it is what you have drawn currently.......

[Profile] [Quote]
maomatic
Post subject: Re: Germany - H Class BattleshipPosted: July 24th, 2016, 9:38 pm
Hi ace,

thank you very much for your input.

Like you said, the hull definitley isn't wide enough for a skeg like i've drawn it.
I kind of knew the way I drew it had to be incorrect, but I couldn't and still can't make sense of the references I have.

So, what you are saying is that the shafts are enclosed inside of the skegs. Ok, this seems fine.
I just can't get how the skegs should be positioned as not to interfere with the screws and/or outside rudders.

I drew up some quick sketches and I'm still quite puzzled:

[ img ]

Should it look like in figure "1" or "2"? I favour 1, because 2 would need some sort of "cutout" for the screws, I guess. Pretty implausible, I know, but this whole system seems pretty insane anyway...

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Germany - H Class BattleshipPosted: July 24th, 2016, 10:00 pm
neither of those :P a skeg is always parallel with the ships keel, as otherwise they give a lot of additional resistance and turbulence.
sorry for not being clear, this would actually mean about exactly what you have drawn already on the above image. the propellers no longer have open shafts with shaft supports on them, but the shafts are enclosed in skegs wit the propellers at the end of them. like this: http://polyticks.com/bbma/photos/drydock4.jpg

the issue with that, compared to what is on the reference, there is something that goes on further aft then the propellers and even the rudders. I really have no idea what might be represented by that, I am even thinking, might it have been an drawing error?

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: Germany - H Class BattleshipPosted: July 24th, 2016, 10:19 pm
There is no rationalizing the sketch without rejecting some part of it.

[Profile] [Quote]
BB1987
Post subject: Re: Germany - H Class BattleshipPosted: July 24th, 2016, 10:23 pm
erik_t wrote:
There is no rationalizing the sketch without rejecting some part of it.
I concur, the more I look at the drawing sketch the more the huge skeg seen in the side view cannot possibly match a realistic shape according to the top view.
At this point I'd give credit to the text saying that it involved only enclosing the outboard propeller shafts.
In this case, what we would end up with is something not much different from the USS South Dakota and her sisters:
http://www.navsource.org/archives/01/015727.jpg
http://www.navsource.org/archives/01/015809.jpg

-Koko Kyouwakoku (Republic of Koko)
-Koko's carrier-based aircrafts of WWII
-Koko Kaiun Yuso Kaisha - KoKaYu Line (Koko AU spinoff)
-Koko - Civil Aviation

[Profile] [Quote]
Tempest
Post subject: Re: Germany - H Class BattleshipPosted: July 24th, 2016, 10:56 pm
Awesome as usual maomatic. The stern layout is quite a pickle, have you asked on any of the naval sites for opinions or plans that they have, even modellers might have plans.

All the best

Tempest.

German Capital Ship Projects of The First World War

[Profile] [Quote]
apdsmith
Post subject: Re: Germany - H Class BattleshipPosted: July 25th, 2016, 1:16 am
Hi maomatic,

From my understanding of skegs (helped no little by the Stuart Slade article at NavWeaps: http://www.navweaps.com/index_tech/tech-014.htm) the outer propellers are correct but the inner skeg, if there is one (I've not seen any documentation to indicate that there is) would only extend as faras the prop - the skeg's there to contain and limit the blast from a torpedo to the shaft hit, as far as possible, though it might also help with the ship's lateral centre of effort.

Regards,
Adam

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 8 of 11  [ 110 posts ]  Return to “Never-Built Designs” | Go to page « 16 7 8 9 10 11 »

Jump to: