Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 2 of 3  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 »
JSB
Post subject: Re: William Beardmore 1912 CVPosted: May 10th, 2015, 2:14 pm
Yes I think we are talking at cross purposes, that is the gun I got off the part sheet, my question was more, A) is it right B) has anybody done any of the Cls mentioned.

[Profile] [Quote]
Novice
Post subject: Re: William Beardmore 1912 CVPosted: May 10th, 2015, 6:53 pm
Interesting design, to say the least.
BTW the link ti Flight Global, talks about the design of what became HMS Argus, a totaly different design.

"Never fear to try on something new. Remember that the Titanic was built by professionals, and the Ark by an amateur"

[Profile] [Quote]
JSB
Post subject: Re: William Beardmore 1912 CVPosted: May 10th, 2015, 7:11 pm
Novice wrote:
Interesting design, to say the least.
BTW the link ti Flight Global, talks about the design of what became HMS Argus, a totaly different design.
I interpreted it as a continued design process just with a different hull substituted (from a spare civilian ship) as Argus started out as a design with twin bridges on each side like this design (but was changed during the building) hope that makes sense ?

[Profile] [Quote]
Novice
Post subject: Re: William Beardmore 1912 CVPosted: May 10th, 2015, 9:14 pm
JSB wrote:
I interpreted it as a continued design process just with a different hull substituted (from a spare civilian ship) as Argus started out as a design with twin bridges on each side like this design (but was changed during the building) hope that makes sense ?
The HMS Argus was converted from an Italian liner, and the conversion design was made by the same designer of the 1912 CV design.

"Never fear to try on something new. Remember that the Titanic was built by professionals, and the Ark by an amateur"

[Profile] [Quote]
JSB
Post subject: Re: William Beardmore 1912 CVPosted: May 10th, 2015, 10:04 pm
Novice wrote:
JSB wrote:
The HMS Argus was converted from an Italian liner, and the conversion design was made by the same designer of the 1912 CV design.
Yes, but doesn't the flight article suggest that Argus was (started) as a conversion using this 1912 design but on an available hull (the Italian liner) ?

So you get the sequence as follows,
1) Beardmore suggests 1912 design,
2) RN says no (probably due to cost ?)
3) War starts (RN finds sea planes hard to operate at sea)
4) RN asks for a CV (it now has plenty of war time budget)
5) Beardmore modifies design to fit a hull it has available (Italian Liner stopped at start of war as time is short)
6) during building changes to reflect experience (ie do not fit twin island if you want to be able to land on it)
7 ) HMS Argus commissioned

(does that make sense, please tell me if you think I'm wrong ?)

PS does anybody have any 1914 float planes that I could borrow for this ?

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: William Beardmore 1912 CVPosted: May 11th, 2015, 4:59 am
Are you sure the forward deck was intended as a flying off deck? It's low enough that any swell at all will make any flight awfully short and I can't help but notice that there's something that looks like a bulwark between it and the elevator.

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
JSB
Post subject: Re: William Beardmore 1912 CVPosted: May 11th, 2015, 7:06 am
Thiel wrote:
Are you sure the forward deck was intended as a flying off deck? It's low enough that any swell at all will make any flight awfully short and I can't help but notice that there's something that looks like a bulwark between it and the elevator.
The text I have says it was interned for taking off (float planes on trolleys), the low free board doesn't really matter (as much) as I think this is more base ship rather than for work with a fleet at sea and the bulwark is (I think, I'm now having second thought about it wish I had better sources ?) a canvas screen to keep the wind off aircraft in the centre ally, but it is a bulwark it should be ok to mov planes over it with a crane and then take off. (rememberer the short take off decks on turrets for WW1 planes)

Updated the WIP on page 1

[Profile] [Quote]
Novice
Post subject: Re: William Beardmore 1912 CVPosted: May 11th, 2015, 4:24 pm
I think your time line is correct JSB.
As for aircraft you can find the HMS Engadine in the archive and HMS Ark Royal of 1914.

[Profile] [Quote]
JSB
Post subject: Re: William Beardmore 1912 CVPosted: May 15th, 2015, 10:18 pm
[ img ]

What do you think ?

might add planking to deck and should I add the top masts to the top view ? (and would love the underwater hull but would just be guessing)

[Profile] [Quote]
Krakatoa
Post subject: Re: William Beardmore 1912 CVPosted: May 16th, 2015, 1:46 am
Looks good JSB, planking would certainly improve those wide open spaces.

A ship with that length to breadth ratio would normally be shallow draught, if that's any help. Monitor type hull?

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 2 of 3  [ 28 posts ]  Return to “Never-Built Designs” | Go to page « 1 2 3 »

Jump to: