Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 4 of 4  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4
Colombamike
Post subject: Re: British 1940 heavy cruiser projectPosted: August 25th, 2015, 7:27 pm
@ Garlic, Hood, Smurf :
(strange to see torpedo-tubes in 1939 & 1941 design but not in 1940 :? )
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Garlicdesign
Post subject: Re: British 1940 heavy cruiser projectPosted: August 26th, 2015, 7:25 am
Hello Colombamike

Thanks for your effort. I was somewhat surprised myself about the lack of torpedoes in the specs, but that's what Friedman wrote. Hypothetical 'as completed' versions which (more or less) include the modifications you proposed can be found under AU 'Thiaria: Other People's ships'. I grant you the dates for laying down and completing the first ship may be a little optimistic, given how slowly most British large ship projects proceeded during the war, but I just wanted to see one in Atlantic Camouflage. ;)

Concerning the Oerlikons, the first mass order for 1.500 of these guns was placed by the Admiralty in mid-1939 (according to Wikipedia), so I consider it a safe assumption that they would have replaced the 12,7mm quads on any ship designed in 1940. That events prevented this initial order from being delivered is another matter; this was not foreseeable in January 1940.

Greetings
GD

[Profile] [Quote]
smurf
Post subject: Re: British 1940 heavy cruiser projectPosted: August 26th, 2015, 9:32 am
Some purely speculative thoughts on TT.
The 10,000 ton ships of Table 2 are still in the size range of Counties and Towns - ie 'light cruisers' and would have TT for the same reasons that those classes carried them. 'Dual purpose' cruisers for both trade protection and fleet action.
(Incidentally, the column for Design G was an addition to the others on the original table in the Cover.)
The 1940 cruisers derive from thinking about large cruisers capable of dealing with 'Hipper' and were less likely to be involved in fleet actions. TT not needed and perhaps a danger in a gun action with an 8in cruiser or a pocket battleship.
The 1941 designs are back to being developments from light cruiser thinking. Compare the roughly contemporary 15,000ton 6in gun Neptune and the Fijis.
There is a long memo in the postwar Tiger cover on the benefits of fitting TT.

Thanks to Columbamike for posting the tables.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 4 of 4  [ 33 posts ]  Return to “Never-Built Designs” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4

Jump to: