Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 2  [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 »
David Latuch
Post subject: Heavy cruiser Duquesne aircraft carrier conversion proposalPosted: January 13th, 2016, 8:10 pm
Before continuing with the Duquesne as she appeared in 1939 here is an aircraft carrier conversion project. In 1930s variants of conversion to light aircraft carriers were studied. It was supposed, that in new quality they can carry 12-14 aircrafts. Three variants of project from four provided preservation of fwd or aft turret pairs. Detailed study of projects have refused in favour of project of real aircraft carrier of Joffre class.

[ img ]

Last edited by David Latuch on January 14th, 2016, 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
Rhade
Post subject: Re: Heavy cruiser Duquesne aircraft carrier conversion propoPosted: January 13th, 2016, 8:21 pm
Looking good!

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Heavy cruiser Duquesne aircraft carrier conversion propoPosted: January 13th, 2016, 10:43 pm
Very interesting! :)

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: Heavy cruiser Duquesne aircraft carrier conversion propoPosted: January 14th, 2016, 2:02 am
I've seen some startlingly minimalist ship-control positions on proposed (and built) carriers of the 30s-50s, but this certainly takes the cake...

Nice drawing!

[Profile] [Quote]
emperor_andreas
Post subject: Re: Heavy cruiser Duquesne aircraft carrier conversion propoPosted: January 14th, 2016, 3:12 am
Interesting concept...a French version of the German Seydlitz, American Saipans, and Japanese Ibuki! And the French version came before any of them! :)

The Official IJN Ships & Planes List

#FJB

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: Heavy cruiser Duquesne aircraft carrier conversion propoPosted: January 14th, 2016, 3:15 am
Hey David, first of all, I wholly agree with erik_t on the award winning non-existent conning of this variant! It's as if they just never thought of how and where to conn the vessel! It's very nice though, but thank GOD it was never materialized!
Second issue, and it's of no particular import at all, but thought I'd mention it in all honesty. Does my credit need to be on this? If you think so, then ok, but I do not want to "steal the blaze" from you and GD. (You may see something I'm not!)
And third, use my editions of the 1939 version of both the Duquesne and Tourville, and please do post both port and starboard elevations together with your top-notch top elevation. The sides are, after all different...

[Profile] [Quote]
Krakatoa
Post subject: Re: Heavy cruiser Duquesne aircraft carrier conversion propoPosted: January 14th, 2016, 6:23 am
Nice work David,

Great to see the drawings of the various projects that came from the minds of the designers.

[Profile] [Quote]
smurf
Post subject: Re: Heavy cruiser Duquesne aircraft carrier conversion propoPosted: January 14th, 2016, 9:39 am
@Emperor Andreas
Don't forget HMS Cavendish/Vindictive. Completed: 19 October 1918. Commissioned: 1 October 1918. Renamed: June 1918 from HMS Cavendish. Reclassified: Aircraft Carrier, then returned to cruiser. These heavy cruiser hulls are a bit small to make effective carriers, but the Duquesne drawing is excellent. Very interesting.

[Profile] [Quote]
David Latuch
Post subject: Re: Heavy cruiser Duquesne aircraft carrier conversion propoPosted: January 14th, 2016, 12:45 pm
bezobrazov wrote:
Hey David, first of all, I wholly agree with erik_t on the award winning non-existent conning of this variant! It's as if they just never thought of how and where to conn the vessel! It's very nice though, but thank GOD it was never materialized!
Second issue, and it's of no particular import at all, but thought I'd mention it in all honesty. Does my credit need to be on this? If you think so, then ok, but I do not want to "steal the blaze" from you and GD. (You may see something I'm not!)
And third, use my editions of the 1939 version of both the Duquesne and Tourville, and please do post both port and starboard elevations together with your top-notch top elevation. The sides are, after all different...
Ari,

I agree whole heartedly. Isn’t it amazing how fixated designers can become when thinking out side of the box; they were obviously concentrating on the flight deck and not conning the ship.

[Profile] [Quote]
Tempest
Post subject: Re: Heavy cruiser Duquesne aircraft carrier conversion propoPosted: January 14th, 2016, 12:53 pm
David, a question about your avatar, is the French Admiral actually a relative of yours? Or just coincidently a person with the same surname?

German Capital Ship Projects of The First World War

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 2  [ 13 posts ]  Return to “Never-Built Designs” | Go to page 1 2 »

Jump to: