Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 4 of 5  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 »
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Atlantic Cruiser 1912/13Posted: July 9th, 2016, 12:19 pm
looking great, the images are somewhat resized though.....

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: Atlantic Cruiser 1912/13Posted: July 9th, 2016, 12:21 pm
Photobucket no longer shows images as original size any more for new uploads so I guess until I can find an alternative host that's it.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
Tempest
Post subject: Re: Atlantic Cruiser 1912/13Posted: July 9th, 2016, 2:11 pm
Nice drawings Hood.

Photobucket does, I had to tick or untick something for full size images when I first set up my account.

German Capital Ship Projects of The First World War

[Profile] [Quote]
KHT
Post subject: Re: Atlantic Cruiser 1912/13Posted: July 9th, 2016, 5:40 pm
It's done that for me to. A while later the images returned to the correct size.

[Profile] [Quote]
smurf
Post subject: Re: Atlantic Cruiser 1912/13Posted: July 9th, 2016, 6:05 pm
Another great set of cruisers, Hood. I'm glad you didn't try replacing the 7.5in turrets with central pivot mounts. I don't know what got into my thinking. B4 looks almost modern. Incidentally HMS Birmingham had two 6in side by side on her forecastle, but the original scheme (design 1912) was for one of them to be superfiring on the centreline. That was not adopted, no reason given, though I suspect blast effects on the lower gun. B4 has that in a turret.
EDIT: one small point. B4 mixed fuel was 28,000shp for 26.5 knots, not 28.

EDIT 2: Still looking for a 1x7.5in turret, I found a drawing of 'Black Prince', by bezovrazov in "Duke of Edinburgh's revisited" but the two single 7.5 between the beam 9.2 were hard to discern, and look as though the MkVI mounts for Hawkins have been used, while in photographs the turrets are prominent and look very like the single 9.2in turrets though a little smaller. There is a drawing in Friedman's RN Victorian Cruisers book, but they are part hidden by railings, though clear in the plan view.

[Profile] [Quote]
Krakatoa
Post subject: Re: Atlantic Cruiser 1912/13Posted: July 9th, 2016, 9:26 pm
There is a drawing by Charybdis of the Minotaurs, which is where Hood got the turret from I think.

[ img ]

[ img ]

With both short and tall funnels.

Chaybdis, I would note that neither of these drawings has ever made it to the main archive, where they belong.

Last edited by Krakatoa on July 9th, 2016, 11:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
smurf
Post subject: Re: Atlantic Cruiser 1912/13Posted: July 9th, 2016, 9:58 pm
Thanks Krakatoa. Yes. But that's the one I can't get to view. 404 error for me. I'd like to see it if possible.
But I have worked the other way round and put Hood's turret on Black Prince after altering the size to match the scale.
Hood's turret fits very well, just the right 7.5/9.2 = 0.815 ratio, in place of the MkVI CP mounts bezobrazov used. If he got it from Minotaur, so it should.
There should be two turrets on Black Prince, both trained aft, with the centre of rotation of the turrets aligned with the forward vertical lines of the two aftermost funnels.
(I did this on downloads as I don't know how to post drawings on here. I hope bezobrazov and Hood don't mind my 'doing the sums' and trying the turrets on the Black Prince drawing. It doesn't take too long, except that what is behind the turrets needs to be altered so that the previous MkVI mounts don't show beneath the 7.5in barrels of the turrets.)

EDIT. I'm talking through my hat again. I'm getting old. Bezobrazov's Black Prince is as at Jutland, with 6in CP mounts on the upper deck instead of casemates. Putting 7.5in turrets in their place does give a good representation of a Warrior, but the guns I removed were the correct 6in on Black Prince, not a mistake for the correct 7.5in on a Warrior. Sorry, bezobrazov.

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: Atlantic Cruiser 1912/13Posted: July 10th, 2016, 11:00 am
I used the turret from Black Prince as the guide from my scratch-drawn 7.5in turret. The barrel is from the 7.5in already on the parts sheet.
Scale wise, it seemed to match almost perfectly the scaled Brown drawings. With hindsight I might have added a touch more roof slope but none of the original sketches are consistent in this regard and some seem to have blackwards slope at the aft end. I discount these as sketches and I think what I've drawn is probably the best artistic impression likely.

I seem to have missed Chaybdis's Minotaur, but I think it probably needs some serious TLC as it looks a bit rough in details, especially the turrets.

Smurf, I was thinking an AU B4 with all 6in gun armament would have made a fine, if expensive alternative to the C's.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
smurf
Post subject: Re: Atlantic Cruiser 1912/13Posted: July 10th, 2016, 5:32 pm
@Krakatoa: thanks for posting Minotaur.
@Hood. I think your 7.5in turret is indeed a good representation.
There is a good photograph of Warrior directly beam-on in Dingle's book "British Warships 1860-1906" p165. It's an interesting one from around 1910 when only the forefunnel was raised.
B4 all 6in a fair cruiser, but Birmingham was only a knot slower with 9x6in, while C's main raison d'etre was the extra 2 knots to catch destroyers. (Though I recall a discussion somewhere on sea speed v. trials speeds that the Towns were the best scouts for the fleet in WWI as they were the only ones that could maintain 25knots in moderately heavy weather. The C's went to the Battlecruiser Force.)

[Profile] [Quote]
Tempest
Post subject: Re: Atlantic Cruiser 1912/13Posted: July 11th, 2016, 12:30 pm
In regards to Photobucket, my old drawings have been resized. I had to use Dropbox to upload my Baden drawings. Photobucket says the full size option has or will be discontinued.

German Capital Ship Projects of The First World War

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 4 of 5  [ 43 posts ]  Return to “Never-Built Designs” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 »

Jump to: