Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 1  [ 10 posts ] 
Karle94
Post subject: USN 1918 Large Destroyer StudyPosted: August 5th, 2016, 5:51 pm
The USN was looking to build a series of large destroyers/destroyer leaders in 1917/1918. The size ranges from 1600 to 2500 tons. The drawing I have made is of one the largest, most advanced designs, over 2200 tons and armed with 5x5" inch guns, 6 21" torpedo tubes, and a 76mm AA gun. Ultimately, none of the designs were built.

[ img ]

Drawing is based on this little thing:
http://shipscribe.com/styles/S-584/imag ... 84144c.htm

[Profile] [Quote]
odysseus1980
Post subject: Re: USN 1918 Large Destroyer StudyPosted: August 6th, 2016, 2:42 am
:) :)

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: USN 1918 Large Destroyer StudyPosted: August 6th, 2016, 8:02 am
Very nice work Karle94.

Will you be doing more of this series?

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: USN 1918 Large Destroyer StudyPosted: August 6th, 2016, 8:06 am
It's a nice design, but it feels a bit basic compared to your recent contributions.

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
emperor_andreas
Post subject: Re: USN 1918 Large Destroyer StudyPosted: August 6th, 2016, 9:05 am
Very nice work!

The Official IJN Ships & Planes List

#FJB

[Profile] [Quote]
Karle94
Post subject: Re: USN 1918 Large Destroyer StudyPosted: August 6th, 2016, 12:48 pm
Hood wrote:
Very nice work Karle94.

Will you be doing more of this series?
Perhaps, the sheets for the other designs are much more simplistic and therefore leaves much to the imagination.
Thiel wrote:
It's a nice design, but it feels a bit basic compared to your recent contributions.
The sheet I used to draw the ship does not show everything one could expect, so I had to fill on a few blanks, such as doors and portholes. Also, the very small superstructure of the destroyer also does not allow that much to be placed on, or around it.

[Profile] [Quote]
Shigure
Post subject: Re: USN 1918 Large Destroyer StudyPosted: August 6th, 2016, 12:56 pm
Gorgeous!

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: USN 1918 Large Destroyer StudyPosted: August 6th, 2016, 1:15 pm
I agree with Thiel, she looks a bit bare boned right now.
You could add stuff like the mooring gear, handrails, liferafts, flaglines, stairs, etc.
in addition, I think there are some overhanging deck parts that I expect to have some supporting structure (especially midships), some ammo lockers...... and I am not certain if she should have bilge keels too.

I am also not certain if the radio lines in the masts should be represented as you have done on a shipbucket drawing, those spars are horizontal I think.
I would take another look at the structure under the aft funnel, it looks differently shaped on the reference (look especially about the shape it has where it meets the rounded deck.
speaking of the rounded deck, bonus points for you if you can represent that shape on a shipbucket drawing! (you tried something on the stern which I am not certain about if it is correct, it looks like an overhang there now)

Don't misunderstand me, this is great work, I just do not consider it finished ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
Karle94
Post subject: Re: USN 1918 Large Destroyer StudyPosted: August 6th, 2016, 2:46 pm
So, I've made some changes, like adding stowing gear, a flag, some stairs, doubled the support for the middle structure, made the radio lines straight, ammo boxes, and even some lights. I have also done something to represent the angled deck.

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: USN 1918 Large Destroyer StudyPosted: August 7th, 2016, 9:19 pm
Very interesting addition. Keep up the good work.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 1  [ 10 posts ]  Return to “Never-Built Designs”

Jump to: