Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 2  [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 »
reytuerto
Post subject: Cotecmar OPV-93 mtsPosted: September 14th, 2017, 10:18 pm
Good evening:

I don´t know if this is a never-built design, or just a don´t made yet vessel. This is a development of the Fassmar OPV 80 mts done by Cotecmar, the government owned columbian shipyard in Cartagena.

[ img ]

Cheers.

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Cotecmar OPV-93 mtsPosted: September 15th, 2017, 6:28 pm
Looks nice, though I suggest You repaint these "edges/corners" on the superstructure that arent 90deg. or outside contour to dark grey. ;)
http://www.shipbucket.com/styleguide#4

[Profile] [Quote]
reytuerto
Post subject: Re: Cotecmar OPV-93 mtsPosted: September 16th, 2017, 1:57 am
Thanks a lot for your feedback, B! Second attempt:
[ img ]
You´re right! It looks better! ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Cotecmar OPV-93 mtsPosted: September 16th, 2017, 8:30 am
It would look even better if You were more consistent about shading. The superstructure looks now like if the light was coming directly from the viewer's direction (instead from the upper-right corner of the picture) but the bridge, mast and - surprisingly - these edges that are-no-longer-separated-by-black-lines-but-by-grey-instead were in the shade. And the shading of the "base" of the cannon is completely opposite. ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
reytuerto
Post subject: Re: Cotecmar OPV-93 mtsPosted: September 16th, 2017, 2:54 pm
Hi, Eswube! Thanks a lot! This is one of the reasons that makes me so confortable here in SB (the feedback that really helps me to improve my drawings). Do you know?, after finishing my 2nd attempt, I think to myself "it is better... but there is something (something odd I mean)", but I was unable to detect what was wrong, until I read your comment. It is already fixed! Once again, thanks to the "Bad Cop"!
3rd. attempt:
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: Cotecmar OPV-93 mtsPosted: September 16th, 2017, 5:23 pm
It's normal to shade for light coming in from front, Now you have shaded for light coming in from the side.

What you do:
- light grey on that part of the structure on the ship that are facing forward toward the light
- dark grey on that part of superstructure that are facing away from the light
- There should be some shading on the 76 mm, find a picture and see what's what.

- that part of the superstructure just behind the funnel, where the life raft are, should be in the same grey color as rest of the superstructure, you have now colored it as something is hanging over it and blocking the light.
- The mast should also be in same color as the superstructure, there is nothing there that are blocking the light.
- underwater hull could have some simple shading, more advance shading if you know how the hull lock like
- many ships have railing around or behind the lift raft, and some ships have nothing.
- There must be a way to get to those liferafts, trough a hatch or ladder
- no black line between funnel and superstructure, it's enough with dark grey. Black color if it's 90 degrees.
- if you study the picture bellow, you can see there is an line going from front of the funnel and down to the helicopter deck. due to the hangar structure isn't perfect flat

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
reytuerto
Post subject: Re: Cotecmar OPV-93 mtsPosted: September 19th, 2017, 8:04 pm
Thanks, Henrik!
Your instructions were very helpful (and "friendly" for the one who was drawing!, easy to understand, and easy to follow!). Thanks also for the cotecmar drawing, I didn't have that view.

Unfortunately I was unable to find a volumetric drawing (I don't know the name of the engeneering tool, but I mean something as a tomographic image) so I can´t have an idea of the lower hull (under the flotation line). So, I made a review of several designs of Patrol Vessels and tried to mimic the most generic ones.

I colored the hull and superestructures following your guidelines. In the case of the part of the structure that is above the line going from front of the funnel and down to the helicopter deck, I painted it of a darker hue, as the angled parts (but I know that is is much less angled, so I don't know if it is correct).

I also painted in a much more darker hue the end tips of the funnel, like the last picture of the shipyard.

And added two rafts abaft the bridge.

Once again, thanks a lot!

4th. attempt:
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Cotecmar OPV-93 mtsPosted: September 21st, 2017, 6:43 pm
Ekhem... I'd say that shading still isn't quite what Heuhen and I meant. :oops:

Here's how I see it. Yellow represents surfaces that are facing toward the light, red represents surfaces that are shaded (and hull), orange is "standard" (medium) color.
I have doubts about area on the hangar that's marked with green arrow and 'confused' face. On one hand it's facing (judging from the source material linked by Heuhen) somewhat "upwards" (so towards the light) but also "backwards" (so against the light). I'm inclined towards "red" shade, but wouldn't insist too hard on it.

[ img ]

P.S. While doing this sketch, I noticed that unfortunately there are many artifacts (aka "stray pixels") on Your drawing. :(

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: Cotecmar OPV-93 mtsPosted: September 21st, 2017, 7:15 pm
Hangar, That's where I often create my own shading color. sometimes you have to pull a Spanish one!

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: Cotecmar OPV-93 mtsPosted: September 22nd, 2017, 8:04 am
I think I'd follow eswube's suggestion and use the "red" shade, its darker but not too dark.

For some really complex shapes I find up to six colours is the minimum you need, or make up a shade if its a bespoke thing.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 2  [ 12 posts ]  Return to “Never-Built Designs” | Go to page 1 2 »

Jump to: