Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 3  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 3 »
bugsier_060
Post subject: Battlecruiser Kronshtadt (Pr. 69) (topview+sideview) / UpdatePosted: August 4th, 2018, 2:46 pm
-

Last edited by bugsier_060 on September 7th, 2018, 11:01 pm, edited 8 times in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: Battlecruiser Kronshtadt (Pr. 69) (topview+sideview) / UpdatePosted: August 4th, 2018, 2:51 pm
Sorry I did not get a chance to post any feedback (very busy this week) - the top view is looking quite nice, but we do not use gradient shading here at SB (as you have used on the hull bulges).

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Battlecruiser Kronshtadt (Pr. 69) (topview+sideview) / UpdatePosted: August 5th, 2018, 8:46 am
Aaargh... was visiting unread threads 'from the oldest to newest' and didn't noticed this update when I was replying to older version:

http://shipbucket.com/forums/viewtopic. ... 03#p182303

Deepest apologies for that mess. :oops:

[Profile] [Quote]
bugsier_060
Post subject: Re: Battlecruiser Kronshtadt (Pr. 69) (topview+sideview) / UpdatePosted: August 5th, 2018, 11:34 am
Colosseum wrote: *
Sorry I did not get a chance to post any feedback (very busy this week) - the top view is looking quite nice, but we do not use gradient shading here at SB (as you have used on the hull bulges).

Hi Collosseum,
thank you. No problem. :)
As of my methode you called "gradient shading" I honestly have to admit that I have never heard that phrase. Maybe this was due to I am still a beginner and this is my first forum and I didn't care about some other methods. I just reflected what I could do to achieve a better drawing. Believe it or not I even didn't know what "gradient shading" meant. :oops: Yesterday I googled after that phrase to learn what this means. In my five or so other drawings (which are still under construction) I am always using this methode trying to get a more realistic appaerance (for example armoured conning towers which are round or half-round). It did cost me a lot of time to figure out how to get the smoothest possible blending/intergradiation to avoid disturbing edges. Every time I draw pixel after pixel / line after line and varied a lot with the colours. In case of edges I restarted again from the very beginning. If I have to redesign my works this would costs me again much time. But let's see.

[Profile] [Quote]
bugsier_060
Post subject: Re: Battlecruiser Kronshtadt (Pr. 69) (topview+sideview) / UpdatePosted: August 5th, 2018, 11:38 am
eswube wrote: *
Aaargh... was visiting unread threads 'from the oldest to newest' and didn't noticed this update when I was replying to older version:

http://shipbucket.com/forums/viewtopic. ... 03#p182303

Deepest apologies for that mess. :oops:

Hi eswube,

no problem :) , have already read your comment in the beginners forum. Thank you again.

[Profile] [Quote]
Gollevainen
Post subject: Re: Battlecruiser Kronshtadt (Pr. 69) (topview+sideview) / UpdatePosted: August 5th, 2018, 11:46 am
the non-gradient shading rule is basics of this style and what in most parts seperates its from the other pixelart.

Here is the style guide for adhere to

[Profile] [Quote]
Colombamike
Post subject: Re: Battlecruiser Kronshtadt (Pr. 69) (topview+sideview) / UpdatePosted: August 7th, 2018, 12:20 pm
@bugsier_060

Few comments guys
You planned to draw Project 69N ?
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: Battlecruiser Kronshtadt (Pr. 69) (topview+sideview) / UpdatePosted: August 7th, 2018, 1:08 pm
You don't necessarily need to draw the boat booms rigged out like the reference drawing shows - you can also show them stowed along the side of the ship, as the side view shows. ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
bugsier_060
Post subject: Re: Battlecruiser Kronshtadt (Pr. 69) (topview+sideview) / UpdatePosted: August 7th, 2018, 5:47 pm
Colombamike wrote: *
@bugsier_060

Few comments guys
You planned to draw Project 69N ?
[ img ]
Hi Colombamike,
thank you for your comments/critiques.
To answer your question: If you are mean the version with the Bismarck-like turrets (I thought the letter was 'I'?). No. To me the original version with the 12 inch turrets is by far the most beautiful version, if not the most beautiful warship ever planned (to be correct, not only planned but she was already under construction and the hull itself was already clearly visible). The turrets look like a turtle shell (also with the Sovietsky Sojuz). Simply fascinating. It's a tragedy that the world has never seen these ships in reality as it is the case with many other planned but not realized warships. But thankfully we have a lot of skilled artists here who are able to bring these ships back to us. Again, thanks a lot to all artists here for these fantastic sites! No, I will not bring the Kronshtadt with the 15 inch turrets of Bismarck.

Concerning the drawing:
you are correct. Most of he details you mentioned I have left out intentionally (the bent bollards - too tiny for me to draw the correct rendering; the boat booms - they disturb the topview and are somehow bulky. Some other details were not even in my mind (e.g. the Лrailings you mentioned, or the MG's etc.).
Which version? Good question. I don't know. The sources I have (you already shared it here) don't show dates, though the Gangut plan has something written on it but so small I am at best will not able to decipher anything. If you (or anybody else here) can recommend some good sources, please do it.

The bulge. I know that the bulge shown here is not drawn as it appears in reality. But I wanted a bulge because of the topview which shows partly the bulge. A topview with bulge and a sideview without it would be nonsense. But I wanted a 3D like bulge. So I draw line after line, always varying with the closest next colour to get the smoothest blending without disturbing edges. Concerning the middle section of the bulge, in my opinion it fits somehow, but the ends......NOT. I know. But I wanted ASAP to publish the ship. Anyway, this method is called "Gradient shadowing" and is according to the rules here (thank you Gollevainen and Colosseum - but have yet to read it :oops: ) not allowed. So I already have a "simpler" bulge which contains the disturbing edges, but still don't know how it is "gradient shading" or not. We will see how the board react.

So, comments, critiques, hints etc. are always welcome. I am still a beginner and I want to learn doing things better.

Cheers! :)

[Profile] [Quote]
Colombamike
Post subject: Re: Battlecruiser Kronshtadt (Pr. 69) (topview+sideview) / UpdatePosted: August 7th, 2018, 6:04 pm
bugsier_060 wrote: *
Which version? Good question. I don't know. The sources I have (you already shared it here) don't show dates, though the Gangut plan has something written on it but so small I am at best will not able to decipher anything. If you (or anybody else here) can recommend some good sources, please do it.
Your drawing show 7 quadruples 37mm mounts but no twin 12,7mm MG's, so
For me your drawing was the "13 july 1939 design", please add the ship-version to the template ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 3  [ 23 posts ]  Return to “Never-Built Designs” | Go to page 1 2 3 »

Jump to: